Please do NOT make bush hides a FAVORITE

I'm trying to use FAVORITE votes to determine GOOD caches to find.

It seems that some cachers are just placing their FAVORITE votes on crappy bush hides from their caching friends.

Please put your friendships aside, and vote for GOOD caches.

I have figured out that any cache that has a hundred finds, and only ONE FAVORITE VOTE fits in this category. So now I am eliminating those caches with ONE FAVORITE VOTE from my list of caches to find.

:drama:

Edited by ventura_kids

It seems that some cachers are just placing their FAVORITE votes on crappy bush hides from their caching friends.

If they have enough caching friends that are willing to do that enough times to really make a serious difference, then they sure have a lot of good friends. Crappy bush caches, or not... they must be some cool folks!

I look at Favorites sort of like the "Ask the Audience" on Who Wants to be a Millionaire.

A good portion of the people have no idea what they are doing and will just vote for seemingly random reasons. The portion of people who do know what they are doing will push the number of one of the choices (caches) higher than the rest.

It's not the raw numbers that are important, it is the relative number of Favorites compared to the other caches in the area that count.

I have figured out that any cache that has a hundred finds, and only ONE FAVORITE VOTE fits in this category. So now I am eliminating those caches with ONE FAVORITE VOTE from my list of caches to find.

Yep.

I downloaded a loc file of caches with at least one favorite vote, for an area I recently visited. So many of the 1-vote caches were poor placements. When I got home and looked to see why that person gave it a favorite vote, it was because it was someone's first find, or because they went caching with someone special that day or it was a friend's cache and they were with them when it was planted or something else that had no connection to the cache or location. From now on I'll choose caches with at least 2 favorite votes.

Yep.

I downloaded a loc file of caches with at least one favorite vote, for an area I recently visited. So many of the 1-vote caches were poor placements. When I got home and looked to see why that person gave it a favorite vote, it was because it was someone's first find, or because they went caching with someone special that day or it was a friend's cache and they were with them when it was planted or something else that had no connection to the cache or location. From now on I'll choose caches with at least 2 favorite votes.

Oh, geeze... yeah. If just 1 or 2 favorites is what you're looking for, I can see it being an issue! I would consider 1 or 2, or even 3 to be nothing more than noise. If I were looking for premier caches, using the favorite votes, I would look for nothing less than 10.

Out of spite I am going to make a bush cache, then find it and give it a favorite point. Then I am going to chop down the bush and re-hide it in the op's area as a new cache.

Oh wait.......I am gonna find a figure of former president George Bush and hide a cache in its butt.

Edited by jhellwig

I guess a GOOD bush hide would be ok.

However, I just hate digging thru a very dirty, buggy, fast growing bush pile, with stickers, and poison oak, just to find a camo taped pill bottle hanging there. Bushes grow!

I had hoped FAVORITE voting would eliminate all those crappy, dirty hides.

The drama icon just meant that I was quite certain there were opposing opinions in the forums. :rolleyes:

However, I just hate digging thru a very dirty, buggy, fast growing bush pile, with stickers, and poison oak, just to find a camo taped pill bottle hanging there. Bushes grow!

The drama icon just meant that I was quite certain there were opposing opinions in the forums. :rolleyes:

I will agree with that. Searching through that bush next to the zoo inside of Irvine Park for a dirty peanut butter container was not fun.

Finding the ammo can in a bush after climbing up to Oppers cache at Griffith park was awesome.

ooh man, anal passage hides, bush hides...i wonder what's next :wacko:

If there was a cache near the Ypsilanti water tower, it would be one of my favorites.

http://en.wikipedia...._Tower_2011.JPG

Nope, no caches there. Ypsilanti is short on geocaches.

They do have the "World Famous" Melon Festival tomorrow though. I was there for the Summer Beer Festival and it saddened me that the Melon Festival couldn't be the same weekend.

How about caches that take more than seven minutes to find? :unsure:

How about caches that require hiking more than .1 miles? :unsure:

How about puzzles? :unsure:

If I used my favorites votes only for caches the Ventura_Kids would like, my favorites list would be a lot shorter. :mmraspberry:

Edited by tozainamboku

ooh man, anal passage hides, bush hides...i wonder what's next :wacko:

If there was a cache near the Ypsilanti water tower, it would be one of my favorites.

http://en.wikipedia...._Tower_2011.JPG

Nope, no caches there. Ypsilanti is short on geocaches.

They do have the "World Famous" Melon Festival tomorrow though. I was there for the Summer Beer Festival and it saddened me that the Melon Festival couldn't be the same weekend.

A festival celebrating melons should inspire a lot of bush hides.

Finding the ammo can in a bush after climbing up to Oppers cache at Griffith park was awesome.

Thank You. (it's Ooper's not Opper's though).

Its my favorite cache so far. And my favorite spot in LA. Would have never found it with out finding out about geocaching. We took some noobs with us up there a few weeks later and they tripped out on the entire area.

Sorry, my dyslexia causes me to spell things wrong all the time. Ooper, not opper.

Edited by MisterEFQ

Believe it or not, some of the caches that I have enjoyed the most, that have taken me to unique locations that I would have missed if I had not been caching (or had not looked on roadside attractions) have had no favorites. Go figure. One more reason why I do not rely on favorites to decide if a cache might be worth finding.

And as to bush hides. There are bushes. And then there are Bushes. Get me to the right bush and it might be a favorite.

How about caches that take more than seven minutes to find? :unsure:

How about caches that require hiking more than .1 miles? :unsure:

How about puzzles? :unsure:

If I used my favorites votes only for caches the Ventura_Kids would like, my favorites list would be a lot shorter. :mmraspberry:

Oh...allright. Perhaps I'm pickier than most. That would explain why I still have over 2750 Favorite votes left to place. I can't find a FAVORITE cache yet. :lol:

Did you favorite the caches you found along the ET Highway? To some people those would have been over 1000 "crappy bush hides". How about we just favorite what we enjoyed for whatever reason, okay?

I expect others to assign their Favorites votes for reasons I disagree with. After all, some of my Favorites are caches that others think are abominations.

What I think would be useful is a system that would correlate my Favorites votes with those of others, and recommend caches enjoyed by those who have preferences similar to my own. Here's the suggestion in the feedback forum:

http://feedback.geocaching.com/forums/75775-geocaching-com/suggestions/1083957-recommend-caches

I'm sure they will, to some extent, but you have to look for more than just one or two favorite votes. I mean, there are some people, you probably know who I mean, that have votes to burn. And then you have the noobs with 10 or more finds that don't really understand what a quality cache is, so they vote for the best bush they've seen so far.

Around here the favorites seem pretty fairly placed. There are some with just one point on it that I ignore, but anything over that around here seem to be genuine.

Unlike if I put a favorite point on it just because someone else told me to. Or not to.

And the thread owner put the "drama Signal" on his opening remark because he knew people were not going to take well to being told what to do.

I've noticed a few people using their favorite points to keep track of their FTFs.

I don't care for it myself, but I can only control what I do.

Yes, I've noticed people favoriting caches they were FTF on, and people favoriting their friends cache placements. Even to the point where I know of someone who has one each favorite point on 6 or 7 parking lot micros, all bestowed by her boyfriend. :blink:

No opinion on Bush hides, I don't see that many. But I'd imagine there's about 10,000 bushes in California with caches tossed into them.

I also don't think the OP is serious. Don't they find anything and everything listed as a cache? :P

Edited by Mr.Yuck

All hail ventura_kids, who must be obeyed, even though he uses [removed] crappy... Umm... Words not used in polite company...

I get one favorite point for every ten caches found, and will use them as *I* wish to use them. If he doesn't like [removed] bushes, that's his problem. Not mine.

Edited by Keystone
Potty language removed by moderator.

It's possible that they did enjoy the hide even though most cachers wouldn't enjoy a shrub hunt.

That said, some cachers - especially those with lots of Favorites points - do dole them out to a cache because their friend placed it and not because the cache itself was notable in some way.

But really less than 5 Favorites on a cache with dozens or hundreds of Finds means about as much as a cache with dozens or hundreds of Finds with zero Favorites.

It is not the so much the bush as it is what surrounds the bush and or the trek to get there. A cache in a bush or a pile of rocks is fine as long as the surrounding area is special and or the trek getting there is nice and or challenging. As far as the favorites they belong to the cacher to appoint as they see fit, all the way from King Geocacher to the newest of newbies. There is a way to see who favorited the cache and make your decision based on that information.