Favorite elements of a cache

brennan7

Ive been trying to hide creative caches lately, but they usualy end up with a high terrain rating. What makes a good cache to you? What are the best cache-characteristics in your opinion?

-Scenic hike with an easy ammo box?

-Tough, annoying, 5/1 caches?

-Long multi-caches?

-Field puzzles?

-Mystery caches?

-5/5s?

What do you like best? Please post.

What do I like the best?

A container that does a reasonable job of protecting the contents.

A dry logbook.

No bubble liquid in the cache.

No food, particularly the melting kind in a cache.

Not placed smack dab in the middle of a bunch of identical hides. This holds true for the individual who thinks that a regulars hidden every 528' in a hallow log is cool when it is only slightly better than LPCs.

Basically I like a clean obviously maintained cache hidden differently from its neighbors the best.

Personally, I enjoy the straightforward multicaches that follow a theme all the way through, with occasional easy puzzles. Those rock. I also like easy hides but ones that the CO has gone through a little extra trouble to make the container better, even if it's just for kicks.

I like a traditional (no multi's thanks) that takes you to an interesting location, particularly somewhere you wouldn't ordinarily find without geocaching! After that I like a clever container, with a bit of a challenge to find it - sufficient to give a satisfaction on a hunt and successful find. I also like a medium sized container, with room for swaps and travellers. I've found some brilliant micros and have set out some micros myself, but those tiny log books are terrible <_< !

Sometimes, it's an excuse for a trip, whether that trip is a detour of a few miles on my bike ride to/from work, a hike of several miles through the woods, or a drive to somewhere off the beaten path.

Sometimes, it's about interesting places, whether those places are historic, scenic, or artistic. (I especially enjoy caches that draw attention to public art.)

Sometimes, it's about the challenge, whether the challenge is solving a puzzle, finding a well-camouflaged cache, or retrieving a cleverly placed container. (I especially enjoy on-site puzzles and caches with 4-star camouflage.)

And sometimes it's about companionship, although I don't make it to events, unevents, and group hikes very often...

I'd have to say I like them all.

It's nice that there are enough park-n-grab micros around my area to keep me busy for a long time when I don't even have plans for playing that day. I may never even get around to finishing up the area within five miles of home.

If the plan is to find more interesting caches for a day, I like the ones that take me on a hike or four wheel drive trip. I guess I'm just easy that way.

I like finding caches. If I want to hike, I can do that without geocaching.

I prefer traditionals to multis. If it's a multi, I like knowing what I'm getting myself into ("It's should take around two hours to find all found stages and the final" in the description is appreciated.)

I prefer places with few or no muggles.

I like containers that make me smile (guarded by a large fake spider, a skull under a gazebo, a fake hand reaching out from between some rocks.

I even like LPC and MKH in the winter when everything else is covered with snow.