Just wondering...

well well, I will actually be in the area for one of those in like 3 days, figured out one of them pretty quick. FTF will be long gone by then.

No, I would consider it bad form to ask on the boards how to solve a puzzle, FTF or otherwise. Ask friends in your area. Ask the CO for nudges. Ask past finders. Get known for being a good puzzle solver and then you can trade puzzles perhaps. However, none of those tricks minus working with friends will get one anywhere on a puzzle with no FTF yet.

Edited by lamoracke

Hi i'm just wondering, is it alright to ask for help on solving a geocache puzzle? There are 2 in my area that have really stumped me. They are "Where adventure begins" http://coord.info/GC31B46 and "The Backroads" http://coord.info/GC31G64. If anyone could help me out with maybe a clue how to solve it, please let know :blink:

I think it's OK to ask. But people frown on publicly solving such puzzles in the forums. First ask the Cache Owner, since they know the answer. I have a puzzle cache, and will give hints or the answer if you just can't figure it out, since I like it to be found. I only made mine a puzzle because that kind isn't found frequently, so it may be less of a maintenance issue for me, and may hold its quality better.

So you may ask, but please don't be upset if nobody can or will help on any given cache. It's supposed to be a puzzle.

The Terms of Use can be found here:

http://www.geocaching.com/about/termsofuse.aspx

4. Use of Publishing Tools and Forums

You and not Groundspeak, are entirely responsible for all content that you upload, post or otherwise transmit via the Site. You agree not to:

(m) Publish, in any form of media, the solutions, hints, spoilers, or any hidden coordinates for any geocache without consent from the cache owner.

There are many, many threads that give helpful information about how to solve puzzles. A search of the forum threads would be productive.

In particular, a search for the posts by niraD is recommended.

There are 2 in my area that have really stumped me.

Sometimes it's just a matter of trying a different approach, even if you have to put the puzzle away, and look at it again later when you have a new idea to try.

Some of the above replies should be encouraging -- you know it's not impossible.

Here are the puzzle tips referred to by Pup Patrol:

A while back, The Rat offered a puzzle-solving class as an event cache. His slides are available here:

http://thegba.net/resources/general_information.php

Among the tips he offered:

Identify the theme. Check the cache title, the hint, the HTML source, the graphics (including names/URLs), any links (including URLs), whatever is at the posted coordinates, etc. If you can figure out the theme, then you should look for numbering systems that are associated with that theme (zip codes, area codes, telephone keypads, episode numbers, etc.).

Around here, coordinates will have 15 digits, and will look like "N 37° xx.xxx W 122° xx.xxx". So when I'm solving a nearby puzzle, I look for a group of 15 things, and then I look for ways to get the digits 37xxxxx122xxxxx from them. In general, I look for ways to get the number 37 (or the digits 3 and 7) from something near the beginning of the puzzle, and the number 122 (or the digits 1, 2, and 2) from something near the middle of the puzzle. (Of course, you'll need to adjust this for the coordinates near you.)

Other useful resources include:

Puzzle Solving 101 Series (bookmark list)

Puzzle Shortcuts Series (bookmark list)

Solving Puzzle Caches (online article)

How Do I Solve All These $@! Puzzle Caches? (tutorial-style puzzle cache)

Puzzle FUNdamentals (archived event cache) and the Puzzle FUNdamentals resources on the GeocacheAlaska! education page

The GBA's Puzzle Cache FAQ (for puzzle designers, but useful for understanding how puzzle caches work)