GPSr in the North East Question(s)

Davequal

OK So I finally got some time in the field with my new eTrex 20 and I have to admit it is going to take some time getting use to.. I have been using a Venture HC which I had gotten very comfortable with.

This 20 seems about as accurate a crap shoot in to the wind. A friend of mine with a Venture was showing ~10 feet from a cache (which we were) and I was next to him and the 20 was showing 150+ out.

I started playing with the settings. I noticed that GPS + GLONASS was on so I changed to just GPS. I also noticed that WAAS/EGNOS was set to off, so I turned it on. That seemed to bring it in to some what of a better range. I was then showing about 20 feet out from where the cache was.

I came home and searched out GLONASS and discovered that it was a Russian system and increased the number of satellites available. I have learned that the WAAS/EGNOS should be on ( I think). Not sure about the GLONASS.

Would you kind folks mind telling me ?

Generally, using GLONASS in addition to GPS should increase your accuracy. However, it's quite possible that the firmware in the GPS chip isn't quite ready for GLONASS usage yet and throws your coord readings out into nirvana. It's also quite possible that some of the GLONASS sats are out to lunch and screw up your coords. In the same way it's also possible that the phenomenon you've seen had completely different causes.

WAAS should definitely be on.

Edited by dfx

Generally, using GLONASS in addition to GPS should increase your accuracy. However, it's quite possible that the firmware in the GPS chip isn't quite ready for GLONASS usage yet and throws your coord readings out into nirvana. It's also quite possible that some of the GLONASS sats are out to lunch and screw up your coords. In the same way it's also possible that the phenomenon you've seen had completely different causes.

WAAS should definitely be on.

OK I suppose and ASSume that could be the case. I do have the latest software for the 20.

Today was very cloudy / overcast today and very breezy.

I guess only time will tell........

OK So I finally got some time in the field with my new eTrex 20 and I have to admit it is going to take some time getting use to.. I have been using a Venture HC which I had gotten very comfortable with.

This 20 seems about as accurate a crap shoot in to the wind. A friend of mine with a Venture was showing ~10 feet from a cache (which we were) and I was next to him and the 20 was showing 150+ out.

I started playing with the settings. I noticed that GPS + GLONASS was on so I changed to just GPS. I also noticed that WAAS/EGNOS was set to off, so I turned it on. That seemed to bring it in to some what of a better range. I was then showing about 20 feet out from where the cache was.

I came home and searched out GLONASS and discovered that it was a Russian system and increased the number of satellites available. I have learned that the WAAS/EGNOS should be on ( I think). Not sure about the GLONASS.

Would you kind folks mind telling me ?

I found glonass off on my etrex 20 was best. With glonass plus gps on... It would freeze the distance to cache 75 ft away. Glad to here its not just my unit. (firmware)