Questions to the Dutch geocaching community

topzoekertje

Do you have plans to visit the Netherlands and have some questions to the Dutch geocache community ? Are you looking for someone to join you on a cachetrip ? Do you want a translation of a cache listing? Looking for some must-have-done caches ? Use this topic to post all your questions to the Dutch geocache community.

You can find older question (before 11-11-2011) in this topic

Edited by topzoekertje

Hello!

Next month I will visit Amsterdam with my girlfriend and we both would like to visit a geocaching store. Is there any physical shop in Amsterdam? From what I've seen on the list of international retailers, there is no shop in Amsterdam... I don't want an online shop, but a real one, where I can see the products and buy them. This is because I will stay in Amsterdam only 3-4 days, so I will be unable to place an order.

Please let me know if there is any store in Amsterdam or in a city nearby (on a 50km radius).

Thank you!

I don't think there is a geocaching shop in or nearby Amsterdam.

But the geocachingshop can often be found at events as well. So depending on the dates you are in the Netherlands, you might be interested in visiting this event, which is not too far from Amsterdam: Saens Kessers Evenement (SAKE 2012). The geocaching shop will have a booth there as well.

Have a great time in the Netherlands!

Hello!

Next month I will visit Amsterdam with my girlfriend and we both would like to visit a geocaching store. Is there any physical shop in Amsterdam? From what I've seen on the list of international retailers, there is no shop in Amsterdam... I don't want an online shop, but a real one, where I can see the products and buy them. This is because I will stay in Amsterdam only 3-4 days, so I will be unable to place an order.

Please let me know if there is any store in Amsterdam or in a city nearby (on a 50km radius).

Thank you!

There is a store near Leidseplein called Beversport they sell Gps

Hoi

Ik ga om november naar het Nederland (toen ik op een reis rond Europa ga). Ik blijf een paar weken met mijn familie in Eindhoven en ik wil wat caches vinden. Weet u welk caches hier zal beste voor mij? Ik ga ook een paar dagen naar Amsterdam maar ik denk ik daar echt druk zullen.

Dank u wel,

Amber

Hi Ambertrafficlights,

Of course I'd love to recommend our own caches in Eindhoven (to get to know the city try for instance GC1PZH0). But to know what caches are the best for you, you should give a bit more information on what type (tradi, multi, mystery etc.) and kind (urban, nature) of caches you would like to find. There are so many caches here, so I'm sure you'll find lots.

And if you need any help during your stay, just send me a message!

And on Saturday November 9 there will be a geocaching event together with GLOW (yearly event in Eindhoven), where you can meet other cachers.

Hello!

We're spending a week based in Ghent at the end of May, and want to come over to NL for a day. Can anybody recommend any good caches, or just nice places to visit? Vlissingen, any particular beaches or things to do?

Thanks in advance.

Hi Oxford Stone,

It's a bit hard to answer this question since we have no idea what kind of things you like. A must see in Zeeland (the province where Vlissingen also is located) are the Delta Works. An attraction you can visit to learn about this, but also have fun with other activities is: Neeltje Jans (http://www.neeltjejans.nl/en/).

There are some nice caches not to far from this place, but I guess best thing to do is to check on favorites and then decide what fits your interests.

We're a couple with a son who will be 5 by then. I've found a steam railway at (?) Goes that looks worth a visit.

I've just looked at Delta Park and that looks brilliant - many thanks! I'd been considering a standard them park south east of Brussels but this looks ten times more interesting.

Edited by Oxford Stone

This Topic is also in the "All nations" section.

In 2009 I took part in an international PI-Day event (United PI2009). This was organized by the Spanish Geocachers Association (G.E.A). 10 different events took place, some of them connected by a webcam link. To make this work you need an event, a tradi-cache and a mystery-cache. Is anyone interested in doing the same thing in 2015 (14.3.2015 – it’s a Saturday). Florida, Wyoming, California, England and possible a Cacher in Sweden will be taking part. Im still looking for 4 Cachers to take part in this. If anyone is interested please send a mail through my account. Hope to hear from you. Here are the GC-Codes of the Caches from 2009, GC1MZKW, GC1NC1M, GC1NH2R, GC1NMFA, GC1NC2E, GC1ND76, GC1NC71, GC1NBWD, GC1NEFE and GC1NEF8.

Dear all,

I'm planning to make weekend-visit to Amsterdam (in end of march or april) and of course I'd like to geocaching also.

I have found in Estonia within 7 years approx. 1800 caches, so not very beginner level.

If somebody would like to join with me, for some nice walkings

then I'm waiting feedback.

All suggestions, also very welcome ;)

Dear all,

I'm planning to make weekend-visit to Amsterdam (in end of march or april) and of course I'd like to geocaching also.

I have found in Estonia within 7 years approx. 1800 caches, so not very beginner level.

If somebody would like to join with me, for some nice walkings

then I'm waiting feedback.

All suggestions, also very welcome ;)

There are a lot of good caches in Amsterdam. I think the multi's GC20CWF, GC20DV1 and GC3QDZ0 offers you a nice trip through the old centre of the city. And of course you have to visit the oldest cache in the Netherland: GC198 in the lovely Vondelpark. I you make a trip on the canals with a hired boat you can pick up another very old cache: GC921.

Please make a post in this thread when you know the exact date of your visit, maybe we can make a appointment. I've visited the Baltic States this year and found some nice caches.

I have recently moved to Groningen, and as I don't know anybody here I wondered if there was anyone on here from the same city/ region who would like to go caching?

I have also set up a facebook group for Groningen geocaching, as I had a really nice friendly rapport with many cachers from where I used to live, and would like to try and get that again.

https://www.facebook.com/groups/925199077553272/

There are a lot of puzzle caches here, so it looks like i will have to improve my dutch before I can complete all those smiley faces!

I recently visited the Netherlands (Utrecht, specifically) and was very disappointed at how few cache descriptions were provided in English. Those few that did have something in English, it was often a reduced or poor explanation. This is discouraging to foreign cachers and has an 'exclusive' feel to it which is not in the spirit of geocaching.

Indeed almost all of the logs were only in Dutch too, which made it impossible to try to gather clues there if difficulties were encountered. Some mystery caches relied on information that only a Dutch person could know, at least without more support in English.

I am surprised that Greek geocaching beat Dutch geocaching for bilingual descriptions and logs - it is much more accessible, supportive and encouraging for the foreign (or non-Greek-speaking) geocacher here in Athens. I hope that this comment will lead to more bilingual cache descriptions so that more tourists can explore the caches of the Netherlands - it is a beautiful country with many interesting and innovative caches!

Well, try caching in any other country that doesn't completely rely on tourism... It's simply too much work to translate every single cache into other languages for the few foreign visitors. That doesn't encourage, I can understand, but then again: Why would I supply my descriptions in English if there's only 2 to 3 foreign visitors per year?

A simple workaround would be to send the CO of the caches you'd like to visit a message with the question if they can send you a translation, so you can try and find the cache. I've done that myself when visiting France, of which I can already tell you that more than 95% of the descriptions is only in French.

I fail to see a problem. Just as for any other activity you have to prepare in advance. Whenever I cache somewhere where I don't speak/understand the language I make sure to have a translation in advance. GSAK has a nice macro that takes care of translations (OK, Google translate can have a "funny" way of translating).

Not speaking Norwegian makes solving mysteries/multis a bit harder but fun nonetheless and in case of problems the CO's are more than happy to help out. Traditionals should be no problem wherever you are, just make sure you know a few words for tree, stone, wall, behind, high, low... ;)

Well, try caching in any other country that doesn't completely rely on tourism... It's simply too much work to translate every single cache into other languages for the few foreign visitors. That doesn't encourage, I can understand, but then again: Why would I supply my descriptions in English if there's only 2 to 3 foreign visitors per year?

A simple workaround would be to send the CO of the caches you'd like to visit a message with the question if they can send you a translation, so you can try and find the cache. I've done that myself when visiting France, of which I can already tell you that more than 95% of the descriptions is only in French.

Same idea here.

Hello,

is someone here who knows ''leentje1986''? I think she comes from Friesland, cause she found her first cache here.

She has a TB from me since three years and if sombody knows her, perhaps they could tell her to let ''Bart'' out.

Many Thanks

GeMMO

I would like to plan a road trip in September in the netherlands and would appreciate advice. I will be coming from ireland ,probably to Schipol and then across north coast to visit some friends, after that who knows! My primary purpose will be geocaching so i need lots of advice.I am on a budget so will need to save money where possible.

1.Shoulkd i hire a car or cycle?

2. What would be the best/cheapest accomodation|?

3. Most important which caches should i not miss! I will be on my own therefore cannot risk high T ratings.

Forgot to say planning on 3 to 4 weeks, hence the need to keep to a tight budget.

Hi there!

At very short notice, I'll be in Amsterdam for the day on Monday next (October 9th).  If there's anyone else that's in the humour for a bit of caching, it would be great to have company.  GC921 would be high on the list, together with the other 2001s, but apart from that, so long as it's fun I don't mind.

Get in touch!

Hello Dutch Friends!

My name is Lucas. It's great to see that you have such topic on your own forum. topzoekertje mentioned in the first post that you can help even with translations, so I have a huuuge request and it'll be awesome to get some help.

Very soon I'm planning to launch a small Geocaching venture. For the banner ad I need a translation of one, short Geocaching sentence - from English to Dutch. I'll be happy to find someone who can help me with this. I can send all details via private message here or via email.

Can you Guys help, please?