mac and gps

Not much to add to Bear And Ragged's comment except to reinforce it. Garmin is the only option these days for seamless Macintosh support. Mapping software, drivers, web plugins -- Mac has feature parity with all of their Windows counterparts. Other vendors who claim some degree of Mac support all have gaps in various areas.

Yep,

Garmin Map62s + MacBookPro+Snow Leopard+Mapinstall+Basecamp works.

I can't say it's very elegant software that I have been able to work with real easy (probably more of user limitations...but some features are missing...see my other thread) But it is stable and does some cool stuff. Just the ability to jump from BaseCamp to Google Earth with a click is pretty cool.

W

I have been loving my limited capabilities on GSAK - but have now gone to a Macbook.

GSAK has advised that they have no intention of making anything Mac compatible.

Since I use a Garmin Nuvi550 - it is not capable of the 'beaming' that the Oregon is.

Does anyone know if there is a program that I can create pocket queries and download them to my Garmin?

Thank you to all

I have been loving my limited capabilities on GSAK - but have now gone to a Macbook.

GSAK has advised that they have no intention of making anything Mac compatible.

GSAK may work via WINE (haven't looked lately). It definitely works in a virtual machine (Windows running under VirtualBox, VMWare or Parallels).

Dakboy: I have tried without success to get GSAK8 running under Codeweaver's Crossover (commercially packaged WINE).

I haven't found anything on the Mac with a set of filters comparable to GSAK, but I've also found I don't need *everything* GSAK does. I can manage from Geosphere on the iPhone. Those who don't have an iPhone/iPad/iPod_Touch might also want to look at iCaching.

http://www.maccaching.com/

Whilst not as powerful as GSAK, it does give similar abilities for Mac users...

I have just loaded this app and it has crashed three times - I am very new on the mac - less than a week so I am not sure - however it seems to old software and it may have a problem with lion - I have got it downloading the waypoints from my gps (garmin nuvi 200) that were loaded with the help of GSAK and POILoader that i run in a virtual machine under Linux. That is a very viable solution and that is what I intend doing on my mac till I find an app I am happy with or till GSAK works with wine. SInce CLyde has expressed no interest in getting his app to Mac/Linux we just have to hope and pray that as wine improves GSAK may magically start to work

I downloaded and use VirtualBox as it is the virtualization software I am familiar with and have many vms for - so it was a matter of copying across my vdi disk image and setting up a new vm on the mac. There are other solutions but they may cost some money whilst VirtualBox is free. You could also use BootCamp or other methods of booting the mac to windows - but I find vms much easier as I do not have to reboot the mac!

Good luck

Trev

Edited by trevorh7000

http://www.maccaching.com/

Whilst not as powerful as GSAK, it does give similar abilities for Mac users...

I have just loaded this app and it has crashed three times - I am very new on the mac - less than a week so I am not sure - however it seems to old software and it may have a problem with lion

MacCaching is abandoned AFAIK, and what it is there is fairly basic in functionality. There is at least one geocaching app in the App Store but I have no idea how good it is, as it's $15 and there's no demo version available to try first. I've yet to see anything that holds a candle to GSAK, and I have found myriad ways to use it to slice & dice my caching data for various reasons/curiosities/personal goals.

Edited by dakboy

Dakboy:

You are correct about MacCaching; didn't; work very well even when it was being actively developed/updated a couple years ago, Regarding current offerings in the Mac AppStore, there are two: iCaching, which is I've already mentioned here, and Geocache Manager -- which seems even more expensive and less capable.

I *know* GSAK has more amazing ways to slice and dice data than any one person is likely going to use. But speaking for myself, in my rather limited gepcaching needs, I'm satisfied by Geosphere.

-Lee