Garmin GPSMAP 62sc USB Connection screen

Big D 24

I just bought a new Garmin GPSMAP 62sc after using the 60 series for years. I use it in my truck and on my fourwheeler, but when I plug it in to the charger the USB Interface screen pops up and stays on. I would like to be able to view my maps while it is plugged in. Does anyone know how I can change this?

Edited by Big D 24

Thank you for the suggestion, but that did not work.

Strange, working here. Are you trying to view the maps on the GPS or the computer? Is "the charger" an auto USB adapter or a wall mount? Are you using a Garmin cable or some other USB cable?

I am using an Auto usb and it is not a garmin usb charger. I am trying to view the maps on the GPS.

Edited by Big D 24

I just bought a new Garmin GPSMAP 62sc after using the 60 series for years. I use it in my truck and on my fourwheeler, but when I plug it in to the charger the USB Interface screen pops up and stays on. I would like to be able to view my maps while it is plugged in. Does anyone know how I can change this?

Your new 62s is really just a huge flash drive and your computer will recognize it as such. A small icon to that fact will show up in the system tray and if you click on "my computer" you'll see the GPS drives along with your C drive, etc. Your 60 series doesn't work that way. I have both units and it took a little getting adjusted to but you'll get used to it quickly.

The standard USB cable tells the unit that it's got a data connection and it switches to the standard mode of being a flash drive. The Garmin USB charger biases the data wire in a way that makes the unit stay in operational mode. With a bit of googling, you're likely to find someone who will have done the research and made a cable. Otherwise, if the spanner mode option doesn't work, you're up for a Garmin branded charger.

I have been directed to this thread after posting a similar query but concerning the Montana which seems to have the same "feature". I seem to remember this used to be a problem with some iPods also where the power supply that accepted the USB plug had a pull-up resistor to signal that it was a power supply and not a data socket. I believe this system also signals to some equipment that because its connected to a power supply then it can draw more current that it would if connected to a computer USB port.

I am not sure what this Spanner mode is. I can't seem to find it in the Montana menus.