Email not working?

Alan White

I've received no emails from Groundspeak for 24 hours: no PQs (even though they've run), no notifications, no emails from other users, not even the test note I posted a little while ago on one of our caches. This is on more than one Groundspeak account and to more than one email address. Test mails sent to/from the email accounts work fine so it looks like a Groundspeak problem but I'm surprised no-one else has reported it. Is it just me?

Edited by Alan White

That happened to me a while back, gmail decided that all Groundspeak emails were now spam.

I'm fairly sure that GMail can't be blamed for this particular outage (if there is one). I've received five e-mails from Groundspeak to my GMail account overnight, including one about half an hour ago. These were the usual cache notifications I have set up in the Instant Notification Service.

I receive Groundspeak e-mail using two different e-mail accounts, one GMail and the other via my ISP (Insight/Roadrunner). For what it's worth, as far as I can tell I'm receiving all the mail I would expect to receive. I just tested the "Send E-Mail to a User" approach, and it seems to be working fine: I received the e-mail about ten seconds after hitting the "Send Message" button.

--Larry

I tested two different email accounts.

Nothing.

I look at Spam, nothing.

Sunday i became my last Email from Groundspeak.

My profile (Groundspeak and Email) is still the same.

I have nothing changed.

Lunzemann

But what email providers?

For instance, you could be an AT&T user. You might have checked via your AT&T account and a Yahoo account.

But, chances are your AT&T count is really a Yahoo account as well and that would point to it being a Yahoo issue.

That's why we really need to know what email provider you are using since this is email related.

I've received no emails from Groundspeak for 24 hours: no PQs (even though they've run), no notifications, no emails from other users, not even the test note I posted a little while ago on one of our caches. This is on more than one Groundspeak account and to more than one email address. Test mails sent to/from the email accounts work fine so it looks like a Groundspeak problem but I'm surprised no-one else has reported it. Is it just me?

I tried it just now (at noon), with two PQs and four cache logs. All messages arrived within 10 minutes. I have ATT, in Atlanta, GA, but I have an additional failsafe where my mail goes first through my web host mail server, then is forwarded to ATT and Yahoo mail simultaneously, so I can check three servers, and if mail is sent it definitely arrives somewhere. I did not test it earlier when the OP first posted.

The last time I documented a GS email issue, some messages arrived about three days late, but others disappeared. There may be a delay, I don't know why. From the thread so far, I expect email to begin arriving soon -- some kind of hiccup in mail to Europe?

One of the most common ways that mail vanishes is a spam filter or "whitelist" issue at the ISP, set up as a surprise without your knowledge, which may block mail from entire domains, over-enthusiastic spam filters in action, at the mail server level. Sites get blocked all the time for various reasons, and you might not know it happened. Maybe this is the case here, who knows.

Edited by kunarion

Yes, they are starting to arrive for me, too. I've just received one that was sent 36 hours ago! I have no spam filtering from my isp, so it's still a mystery where the email has been hiding!

There are 2 daemons used for email, the smtp which receives the email from the outside world and the pop from which the end user gets their email. (that is a greatly simplified explanation of how it works for brevity's sake)

Often there may be a problem with the pop server. The emails still come in from the outside world and get queued. Once the problem is fixed with the pop server, those emails are delivered to their final destination.

That could be what happened today.

Yes, they are starting to arrive for me, too. I've just received one that was sent 36 hours ago! I have no spam filtering from my isp, so it's still a mystery where the email has been hiding!

Keep a copy of what happened and when, just for your records. Some of us mention "email problems" around here, and surprise, "there's no evidence of a previous forum post about that" anymore. :ph34r:

Keep a copy of what happened and when, just for your records. Some of us mention "email problems" around here, and surprise, "there's no evidence of a previous forum post about that" anymore. :ph34r:

No one, to my knowledge, has ever said there are never glitches from time to time. I've seen this very same type of thread more than a few times. And it inevitably turns out to be some temporary glitch with an email server, not the prolonged issue you were describing earlier.

But yes, document it anyway. That never hurts.