SUBMITTED (32781) - Constantly being asked to update Magellan Communicator

dameetro

I have the Explorist GC. Been using it with no problems until the last site update. Now every time I go to download a cache into the GPSr, Firefox 8.0.1 asks "Would you like to update to a newer version of Magellan Communicator?". If you click yes, it installs the update, and then asks you again if you want to update. If you click Cancel, it still loads the caches fine, but that's really annoying to have to do for EACH cache I download. It really slows down the process of loading caches.

I have uninstalled Magellan Communicator, and reinstalled. I've removed both it and Firefox and reinstalled, same results.

Anyone else start experiencing this in the last week or so?

Whew. Glad it wasn't just me. I just got my Megellan GC for my bday/chanukah and started using it. It's great but I was worried about this too. I uninstalled and was afraid that I messed up al lthe programming already in the device. Luckily it doesn't seem that way.

Happy Holidays and Happy treasure hunting to all!

Yep... just got the GC for Christmas. Spent about an hour installing and re-installing (and swearing and yelling and re-installing again). Finaly found this thread. Glad to know I have not become computer illiterate over the holidays. Please keep users posted as to the status and/or solution to this problem. Thanks

I can not get caches to upload to my Magellan GC North American. I am using a MacBook Pro to work with here. Could this be my main problem? After trying to upload I get a pop-up window and it tells me to upload the program for using the Mac. So I download the program and installed the add-on to browser. I am using Firefox for my browser and it shows that the add-on has been added. However it keps tell me "Magellan Communicator not found". It's this what I just got down downloading in that same pop-up window? Can I get any help with this problem? Could it just be as simple as the site is having a hard day and maybe the server is just jacked up today?

Thanks, Scott

Farrell, Pa.

Greetings all...

Glad I am not the only one having the issue of being asked to update Magellan Communicator. It's getting frustrating. I am also on a MacBook Pro. It also appears that it will download the FIRST cache that I try in my session, but then not any of the others. Not sure what I am doing wrong. Looking forward to using this device though! Yay for surprise holiday presents!

Thanks!

I have an Explorist GC also, and cannot get it to load a cache either. I get a pop-up at the top of the screen that says "Additional plugins are required to display all the media on this page." Install Missing Plugins" I push the button and no plugins are found. Also, the Magellan tab says "Magellan Communicator Not Found". I have done the update, and it still is not working. Getting very frustrated.

Ok, I think I figured out part of my problem. Went to the Magellan site - Magellan GPS Update - and downloaded Software Version 1.7. Then went back to Geo.com and sent a cache to my GPS. It asked if I wanted to update the Magellan Communicator...I hit cancel. It recognized my unit and I was able to download the cache with no problem. Hope this helps those of you who couldn't download any caches. It will ask you to download Magellan Communicator for each cache, but just hit cancel. I am sure they will fix that bug soon!

Happy Holidays!!!

Edited by snowlover65

Our Mag GC is running version 1.6 and I have tried to install the later version of the Communicator to no avail. I keep getting the upgrade to a newer version of the communicator question and am wondering if I need to update the GPS first?

I am certainly getting cheesed off with that window.............

This website software and the Magellan Communicator software do not seem to work together well.

I choose a cache and click the Download to my GPS button and first a window pops up asking if I want to update the Communicator software. I already have and have the latest version. Then I click Cancel, then Download and the window justs sits there. Doesn't say if it worked or didn't work. Just sits there. I have the eXplorist connected and it says "connected to PC".

Another thing, if I want to download 3 caches, I have to do them individually 3 times??? What are those checkboxes for in front of the caches? I should be able to check 3 boxes and do the download all at once.

They don't tell you its $30/yr forever for the cache descriptions when you buy the GPS ...

Hopefully the support here is better than the software.

Edited by Team Rimes

the checkboxes allow you to download a file to your PC not to the GPS.

I also would like to be able to download to the GPS, more than one at a time but thats not the best way.

premium membership allowing Pocket Queries and utilizing something like GSAK which can upload multiple caches to the GPS (in my case Magellan eXplorist 610). I have uploaded over 3000 caches in one shot using this method.

the "download complete" message is pretty subtle and shouldn't take but a moment to display. I think the download button doesn't change shade much either so it may look like it didn't do anything.

I too, don't like having to answer the update prompt but it is still better than keying in each set of coordinates and not having any other information.

Yes the "download completed successfully" message is slap in the middle, and easy to miss. I load my GC one at a time by selecting the "send to (my) GPS" button on the cache page, or from the map.

The update to a newer version of the communicator question is annoying to many of us, and it is a bug that Groundspeak is working on. I have found that occasionally a cache doesn't load, even though the communicator says it has.

PQ and my computer IQ don't go well together, so I won't attempt to help you there!

For christmas i bought my mom a magellan explorist gc. when i try to send to gps, the download appears to have installed but, wont allow me to upload the file. it acts as if it haddnt been installed. the laptop has widnows 7 and i also tried it on her work computer that runs xp. any help?

For christmas i bought my mom a magellan explorist gc. when i try to send to gps, the download appears to have installed but, wont allow me to upload the file. it acts as if it haddnt been installed. the laptop has widnows 7 and i also tried it on her work computer that runs xp. any help?

How about that, I got an Explorist for Christmas too. :) I also have been experiencing a "bug" with send to GPS support for Magellan, but it sounds like it's different, and I can work through it. Every time I use the send to GPS function, I get a pop up asking me if I want to upgrade to a newer version of Magellan Communicator. I have to click "no" to close that window, then the download button works fine.

Not much help for you, but verification there are some buggy things going on with Magellan Communicator send to GPS.