iPhone Wherigo player does not support custom commands on a zone

redsox_mark

I recently tried to do a new Wherigo on my iPhone. It didn't work. The cache owner didn't have an iPhone to test on, so he sent the source to me to take a look.

What he had done was interesting, and seems to be an iPhone specific bug. In the game, you need do an action "Survey" with an item "Counter". And you can only do that if you are in a Zone, A. Rather than add the command/action "Survey" to the item "Counter", he added it to the Zone, A - and chose that this command works with the item "Counter".

On the Emulator (and on the Oregon) - you get a "Survey" button on the screen for Zone A. And also on the screen for the item "Counter". But on the iPhone, there is no "Survey" button on the zone (or on the item "Counter").

Does anyone know of the process to report bugs with the iPhone Wherigo player?

And has anyone else seen this issue, or tried to add a custom command to a zone?

There is (was ?) a known bug in the app, I have thought it is now fixed in 1.3.7 ?

Perhaps has that what you mean the same effect : An item command is invisible if the item appears in the zone triggered from a proximity event. Use the "onEnter" event instead. Maybe this solves your problem.

Zone- (and Character- and Item-) specific commands were introduced a couple of months after Wherigo was launched. I was under the impression that they never made it into the Garmin players either. Maybe that was only the ones for Characters and Items? :confused:

Edited by sTeamTraen

Zone- (and Character- and Item-) specific commands were introduced a couple of months after Wherigo was launched. I was under the impression that they never made it into the Garmin players either. Maybe that was only the ones for Characters and Items? :confused:

It works on the Garmin; it also works on the Android. It's only the iPhone which does not support commands on the Zone.

The owner has worked around this, by changing the command to be associated with the item rather than the zone. That is the more "standard" way of doing it anyway. But it is interesting that it is just the iPhone which doesn't support commands for a zone.

It works on the Garmin; it also works on the Android. It's only the iPhone which does not support commands on the Zone.

The owner has worked around this, by changing the command to be associated with the item rather than the zone. That is the more "standard" way of doing it anyway. But it is interesting that it is just the iPhone which doesn't support commands for a zone.

"It works on the Garmin"

You sure? I tried zone command but Garmin player not show command button!

Holmes

"It works on the Garmin"

You sure? I tried zone command but Garmin player not show command button!

Holmes

Yes - at least on one model of the Oregon. While we were stuck with our iPhones trying to find the cache which had this issue, we met a cacher with an Oregon and saw it working on his.

I have 2 Wherigo cartridges that don't work properly on the iPhone app. It has to do with actions once you enter a zone not working. Do Ihave to rewrite the cartridge, or does the iPhone app writer plan on fixing this bug? Im afraid to check my 3 rd cartridge now.

I have 2 Wherigo cartridges that don't work properly on the iPhone app. It has to do with actions once you enter a zone not working. Do I have to rewrite the cartridge, or does the iPhone app writer plan on fixing this bug? I'm afraid to check my 3 rd cartridge now.

This is an old thread, but to answer the above question...I just encountered this issue with one of my cartridges. I had a command set to trigger off of a zone, and iPhone users got stuck there as the command never appeared for them (this did not occur for Android users). Once I moved the command off of the zone and onto an item, and gave the item to the player on entering the zone, the issue went away.

If you're referring to the inline execution function, that doesn't work on iPhone because it requires a JIT compiler for LUA code, which the app doesn't have; it only runs compiled LUA code (the cartridge). Apparently the Garmins do have a JIT.

Are there other functions the iPhone app doesn't support? I haven't looked too deep into it... only discovered it when a friend created a Wherigo that uses the inline execution function, and the cartridge wouldn't work on iPhone; I decompiled and reversed engineered his code to get that encrypted lua script and locate the final :P we determined that function was the issue in his case.

If you're referring to the inline execution function, that doesn't work on iPhone because it requires a JIT compiler for LUA code, which the app doesn't have; it only runs compiled LUA code (the cartridge). Apparently the Garmins do have a JIT.

No, I'm not referring to that.

This is a simple function supported by the builder, and it also works on Android. That you can link a command (display a button which does an action) to a zone.

Surf Jurples, thanks for replying. I was hoping to not have to change my cartridges, since it's been a while since I worked on one. But it doesn't appear as though a fix is coming soon. So I'll probable move my commands from on entering a zone to an item or character. But honestly, I'm not in a big hurry, even though I have the iPhone now for testing. It's just so much work. Anyway, thanks.

Yeah @redsox_mark..without this thread I've have been stumped. But another Wherigo creator was thinking this might be the issue too (the one whose iPhone failed when trying it), since that was a clear deviation from the way he had his set up (and his work). This thread confirmed it though, and streamlined the bug fixing process tenfold! Thanks!

@g.Athena...yeah it can take a lot of work I guess if you have a lot of zones like that...lucky for me mine only had the starting zone set up that way so it was a relatively quick fix. Good luck with that!

Edited by Surf Jurples