[NEW CACHE TYPE] EnviroCache

Gymnothorax

Hi all, I wrote this and sent it in to Groundspeak and they suggested I post it in the forums to get a response from other geocachers and their thoughts on this. Below are my thoughts about a new kind of geocache I think we could have similar to EarthCaches. I call it the EnviroCache.

Hello, my name is Garrett and I am a junior in high school. I am currently enrolled in the International Baccalaureate program and am an avid environmentalist. I have always admired the effort geocachers go through in order to minimize their impacts on the environment when geocaching. I also feel that the best way to initiate change is through education. With knowledge, the public can make changes for the better. A simple example of this is the recent movements toward the labeling of Genetically Modified Organisms in food, and another the massive public opposition to the Keystone XL pipeline that threatens the environment in numerous ways. In an effort to further educate members of society, I wish to suggest a new type of geocache: the EnviroCache. It is a cache that focuses on the environmental and biological aspects of the world in which we geocache. Additionally, and perhaps the most important, is that it also seeks to educate others on the myriad ways man affects the environment. This is accomplished through an informative sheet that is placed in a physical container.

Currently, section 3.1 of the Guidelines prohibits the employment of additional logging requirements (ALRs) in the logging of a physical geocache. An EnviroCache is much like an EarthCache in that it has ALRs and seeks to educate others, however, the difference is that at locations for EarthCaches, there is often publicly displayed information, or it is in a park that is already designed to educate the general public on the subject of the cache. EnviroCaches aim to supply information in areas where that information cannot be found on a signpost, thus the need for the physical container. The container is located in a strategic area in order to allow the finder of it to see that which the cache teaches. For example, I have placed a cache titled "EnviroCache: Ormond WWTP" (GC3EJMR) that has an information sheet within it at the effluent dumpsite of the Ormond Beach Wastewater Treatment Plant. One fact given on the sheet is that activity from man, namely the incessant dumping of waste into the Halifax River, has turned the river into a dead zone. Another example of an EnviroCache is one that educates others with regard to Mangroves and their importance to maintaining shoreline, as well as the rapid rate of decline they are in due to the activities of man. Such a cache would need to be placed in a mangrove forest, so that an individual could clearly see what a mangrove is, and the sheet could even point out adaptations of mangroves that allow them to function as they do. In order to claim an EnviroCache as found, ALRs are employed, aiming to ensure education of the finder. The finder would be required to send an email to the cache owner with the answers to a couple of questions posted on the information page of the cache. There is also a log in the container to be signed, as is the case for other physical geocaches. The posted coordinates mark the location of the container, and, since it is a container, it can hold trackables.

The possibilities for EnviroCaches are endless, from Mangroves, to Superfund sites, Cypress stands, anything biological. An EnviroCache picks up where EarthCaches leave off, not limited to the geological features of earth, but those that are arguably the most important: the biological ones. An EnviroCache could potentially honor an entire estuary; even the majestic Sequoias of the Western United States are sites for potential EnviroCaches.

I ask that you please take this into consideration, as I feel it would educate a substantial number of people. Geocachers are already interested in the outdoors, and so are eager to learn new information. Much of the information an EnviroCache provides cannot be found at a local park, an example of this being the numerous violations of city wastewater treatment plants and the effects of this on the environment.

I am more than willing to work with you further to help develop guidelines for such a cache, as I feel it can only be beneficial. After all, knowledge is power.

Thank you,

Garrett (username Gymnothorax)

So, what do you guys think about this? Questions? Comments? Concerns?

Yes, I fully agree with that... I'll admit that some of my original write-up can be taken for leaning on an agenda or bringing in political ideals, and I must make it clear that that was not my original intent. I want to avoid that at all costs. Geocaching is a great impartial outdoor hobby, and I hope it stays so...

My main point, put less formally, is that I feel there should be a biological version of an EarthCache. We already have caches that focus on the geological aspect of earth, why not pay tribute to the biological side of things? I'm working on another informative cache that explains all kinds of things about cypress and the life around them... It contains only information with no "impact of man" spin on it, which was my original idea.

I think you have a great idea that is unique and well thought-out.

However.... I do think the current write-up leans toward an agenda. I also worry about the subjectivity of an Envirocache approval. Would the current reviewers oversee the publication of Envirocaches, and if so what will the criteria be?

(Just some constructive feedback and things to consider)

I am a little confused by this statement (can you explain it a little better?)

It contains only information with no "impact of man" spin on it, which was my original idea.

A+ for enthusiasm.

There's a common request for HistoryCaches in the same vein as Earthcaches, but Earthcaches have a sponsoring organization and a dedicated reviewer(s) separate from regular caches. I have gotten the impression for any Earthcache-like cache type to happen will need a similar situation.

Many Envirocaches like you describe can be done as Earthcaches; just make sure there is some kind of earth science aspect in addition to environmental.

An option under the current system is to set up Multi or Mystery caches somewhere there is signage to support them. Require people attempting the cache to get specific info off the signs to get the coordinates for the physical cache. This is commonly done with things like plaques, signs, murals, and gravestones for "walking tour" and cemetery offset caches.

I think you have a great idea that is unique and well thought-out.

However.... I do think the current write-up leans toward an agenda. I also worry about the subjectivity of an Envirocache approval. Would the current reviewers oversee the publication of Envirocaches, and if so what will the criteria be?

(Just some constructive feedback and things to consider)

I am a little confused by this statement (can you explain it a little better?)

It contains only information with no "impact of man" spin on it, which was my original idea.

Thank you, and I am not too sure of that yet as far as who reviews them... I need to think on that one!

Sure, when I first thought about this, it did not have an environmental activist slant or agenda to it. When I wrote the original essay, I was in one of those moods and should have waited before sending it in... I originally wanted a biological version of an EarthCache, in essence.

A+ for enthusiasm.

There's a common request for HistoryCaches in the same vein as Earthcaches, but Earthcaches have a sponsoring organization and a dedicated reviewer(s) separate from regular caches. I have gotten the impression for any Earthcache-like cache type to happen will need a similar situation.

Many Envirocaches like you describe can be done as Earthcaches; just make sure there is some kind of earth science aspect in addition to environmental.

An option under the current system is to set up Multi or Mystery caches somewhere there is signage to support them. Require people attempting the cache to get specific info off the signs to get the coordinates for the physical cache. This is commonly done with things like plaques, signs, murals, and gravestones for "walking tour" and cemetery offset caches.

Thanks!

Reviewing needs to be done and a sponsor would be awesome. I'll do some scouting around and see if I could find a sponsor, perhaps.

Yeah, that's what I have thought of, the only problem is that in areas where I'd like to put one (e.g. the mangroves around here) there's no signage whatsoever to accomplish a walking tour, thus the need to supply the info within the cache itself. Another example is around here there are many large wildlife preserves that have cypress strands and domes, but none of them have any signage that educates people about them. It could theoretically be done with multi-caches, but that can end up getting somewhat tedious because of all the containers and waypoints, etc.

In light of recent discussion, I have disabled my original EnviroCache so as to preserve the idea before it gets smothered in a political cloud...

As far as guidelines go, I think those outlined for EarthCaches are perfect, except for the fact that in the case of an EnviroCache, it would have a focus on the biological and/or ecological aspect of the area rather than the geological. Other than that, I think the guidelines set forth already are perfect for the idea.

Adapted from the EarthCache website (and shortened a bit simply to be concise for now):

1. EnviroCache sites must provide biological and/or ecological science lessons. They take people to sites that can demonstrate how the web of life works, or to sites of specialized or unique life-forms, such as the forests of the Giant Sequoias or Mangrove forests. Please note that sites with a major focus on geological or archeological features will not be published.

2. EnviroCaches should highlight a unique ecosystem or biological phenomenon.

3. EnviroCache sites must be educational. They provide accurate, but simple explanations of what visitors will experience at the site. Cache page text must assume no previous knowledge of the relevant biological/ecological science. The educational notes must be written to a reading age of an upper middle school (14 year old) student...

4. EnviroCache sites can be a single site, or a multiple site. No items, box, or physical cache can be left at the site...

5. EnviroCache sites follow the geocaching principles and adhere to the principles of Leave No Trace outdoor ethics...

6. Logging an EnviroCache requires that visitors undertake an educational task relating to the specific biological or ecological science at the site. Examples of logging tasks include measuring or estimating the diameter of the trunk of a specific tree, collecting and recording data (such as current water level in a swamp), or answering biology- or ecology-related questions from information available only at the site. Tasks should teach or reinforce the site-specific lesson and should be the cache owner's proof that the cacher has visited the site. Taking a photograph at the site, or asking people to do internet research does NOT meet the logging task requirement. Answers to logging tasks MUST be placed in a 'Reviewer Note' at time of submission.

7. Requests for photographs must be optional...

8. All EnviroCache sites developed must have prior approval of the landowners before submission (depending on local country laws and customs)...

9. All EnviroCache sites will be reviewed by the EnviroCache Team...

10. Damage to the site is unacceptable. Please be mindful of fragile ecosystems.

There is another major difference though, and that is that the original idea for an EnviroCache was to have a container... The idea there was to ensure that the finder would actually read the information. If the EnviroCache happens though, it is a whole separate cache type. Thus, I don't think that having a physical container is necessary, as the page for the cache would contain all the information and instructions to claim the cache, eliminating the need for the container. This way, even problematic areas (e.g. cypress swamps that frequently flood) would not have to abide by the need of safe ground for the container.

Thoughts for this latest iteration of the idea?

The cache I used for my 1k milestone is an example: GC1HQ1W

I like the idea, however here's the big problem I see with it. You're essentially putting out regular caches (not the size, but the standard) with information inside them. How is that a different cache type? What's to keep somebody from removing said information from the container?

If there's a container to find, I can't think of a way to make a completely different cache type than the ones that are already available. If there's no container and you want it to be like an Earthcache, then you'll have to get a whole network of different things put in place in order to even propose the idea.

Like I said, I think it's a great idea and I love the enthusiasm. I just don't see it going through. Best of luck to you.

I like the idea, however here's the big problem I see with it. You're essentially putting out regular caches (not the size, but the standard) with information inside them. How is that a different cache type? What's to keep somebody from removing said information from the container?

Exactly, thus I suggest a whole new cache type without the actual container...

If there's a container to find, I can't think of a way to make a completely different cache type than the ones that are already available. If there's no container and you want it to be like an Earthcache, then you'll have to get a whole network of different things put in place in order to even propose the idea.

Like I said, I think it's a great idea and I love the enthusiasm. I just don't see it going through. Best of luck to you.

Which as you say here it will definitely require more to get it actually legitimately proposed, which I realize now...

Thank you! Time will tell...

I love the idea of the cache but at first glance, while I do agree with many of the principles the term 'Envirocache' and parts of the letter led me to think of, such as effects of man on the environment, I did also think that it was pushing an agenda that many would disagree with. Reading into more of the replies and further description of what an 'Envirocache' would entail it seems to me that maybe 'Biocache' or something of the like would be a better term for the kind of cache we are discussing as it puts emphasis on the biological standpoint rather than environmental, which can be more easily taken as the pushing of an agenda. The term 'Envirocache' also sounds much more like an Earthcache while a Biocache sounds much more unique and different.

Exactly, the latest iteration doesn't solicit anything....

I like that, calling it a BioCache instead of an EnviroCache, as it does not hint at an environmental activist agenda. Because yes, that is the main focus, the biological or ecological aspect of the cache's location.

But doesn't the fact he is trying to bring awareness to a certain subject mean he is soliciting? I may be wrong but I thought soliciting was not just sales for example-religion. The way I understand the meaning, even CITO is a form of solicitation. Since Groundspeak does allow certain forms of advertising; think the Jeep brand Travelbugs, The whole thing would have to be sponsored by, a company that is interested in that sort of thing.

To say that this kind of cache would solicit biology would be the same as saying that an earth cache solicits the planet, that a traditional solicits going outdoors, etc. The controversy that this type of cache would solicit anything in particular should not be a reason to disregard it at all.

I have been planing to make an EarthCache about a really cool place where biologists are working to conserve many bird species and just realized today an EarthCache can't do that.

Actually, it's not even possible as a Mystery through the current Geocaching guidelines because they prevent ALRs.

So I vote for BioCaches :)

.. they suggested I post it in the forums to get a response from other geocachers and their thoughts on this.

That their polite way of saying no.

It is very unlikely that any new kind of virtual cache based on the EarthCache model will happen.

In this case one can point out that geocaching already has a way to promote environmental awareness. It is the CITO event. Now while the name sounds like you're just getting a group of geocachers together to pick up litter, CITO is much more than this. From what I understand, reviewers give quite a bit of latitude to what sort of projects can be done at a CITO event. The main idea is to volunteer to help land management agencies (and in return get some goodwill toward geocaching). Many parks and other natural areas have specific programs both for persevering or restoring the environment and to educate the public about environmental issues. It would not be difficult to find a location that would appreciate the local geocachers helping out for a day. More ever it may be a chance to get permission for a cache in an area that otherwise doesn't allow them.

I like that, calling it a BioCache instead of an EnviroCache, as it does not hint at an environmental activist agenda. Because yes, that is the main focus, the biological or ecological aspect of the cache's location.

Based on your first post it seemed like a load of tree hugging claptrap. Based on subsequent replies it sounds like it could be an interesting variation on an earthcache although in many ways I'd be minded to see if it would fit in as an earthcache rather than necessarily producing a new cache type.

If the cache (of whatever type) is to have any meaningful durability it needs to be the kind of thing that stays around for a while. So something like a massive river estuary, the sequoias, maybe a huge area of woodland, might work, and it seems to me that such things could be observed from one or more vantage points, described in enough detail to prove the area was visited, and maybe have photos taken as a bit of extra fun.

Questions I'd ask about specifics relating to your cache type:

Would the finder need to visit specific coordinates to claim a find or just the general area? If the latter the activity ceases to be so much about geocaching and more about going for a walk; if the former how would you determine whether they had visited the desired part of a sequoia forest or just gathered some information about the trees in the general vicinity?

Would the caches be available year-round? Nature tends to work in cycles through the seasons and it would be a shame if a cache trying to bring attention to, say, the beautiful colours of New England ended up only being available during a couple of weeks each year when the leaves were turning.

Would the cache type end up being unduly restricted if it required the finder to seek information about the area from a specific location, given how many areas of outstanding natural beauty don't have convenient signposts to let you know just what they are?

Based on your first post it seemed like a load of tree hugging claptrap. Based on subsequent replies it sounds like it could be an interesting variation on an earthcache although in many ways I'd be minded to see if it would fit in as an earthcache rather than necessarily producing a new cache type.

Agreed. But it would require the GSA to accept listings whose main focus area are not only "Earth science" but also biology or ecology.

A+ for enthusiasm.

I agree with the A+. Not only was the original suggestion well written, but despite some opposition, the defense of the suggestion has been performed without emotional attachment and with consideration of other opinions.

This is, to me, the key issue. As I see it, Earthcache have continued to be a viable and Groundspeak support cache type because they have an official organization which sponsors them (GSA) and performs all of the reviewer functions, thus not creating an additional burden for other volunteer reviewers. If the suggestion of a HistoryCache or BioCache is every going to be considered, I just don't see it happening without some sort of official organization as a sponsor and a review process that does not add to the burden for other volunteer reviewers.

I think that focusing on the educational aspect of a EnviroCache is essential, but where I think you're going to run into trouble is just in the general perception people might have with Environmental topics. The teaching aspect of Earthcaches works because geology doesn't have a lot of controversial opinions. For other topics, such as the environment, the educational aspect can easily be perceived as an agenda, and is often used as a marketing tool. Just look at almost any advertisement for toothpaste, and you'll see some authoritative figure (i.e. 80% dentists agree) "teaching" us about gum disease, and of course offering us a solution to cure it. A cache that teaches us about climate change can easily be perceived as promoting an agenda on climate change.

I like the idea!

It could easily be done in a fashion to prevent any agenda overtones.

But, the issue of a separate sponsoring organization to take on the review chore is a big problem.

History Caches.

Environmental Caches.

...and any other derivation you can think of will certainly need co-operation from an 'authoritative organization' to do the heavy lifting.

It is questionable as to whether Groundspeak would even entertain any such cache types, but until the 'authoritative organization' makes a proposal to them, we will never know.

When springs and waterfalls kinda got pushed out of the Earthcache realm (with way too many extra requirements needed, really), many just went to Waymarking or traditional (with a container) instead and that actually made waterfall hunting more fun for me - well, the traditionals. :laughing:

I had a couple ideas once of showing how important snags, dead wood and biomass are to natural regeneration and managing Deer Browse in Reforestation Plantings (we have game lands surrounded by fence -unusual), but by then it was "try Waymarking" - and that's not happening.

I can see the hide types you're envisioning being called a BioCache, sort of an Earthcache hybrid.

BioCache... Good idea.

A+ for enthusiasm.

I agree with the A+. Not only was the original suggestion well written, but despite some opposition, the defense of the suggestion has been performed without emotional attachment and with consideration of other opinions.

Agreed, for all the first post sounded like a lot of tree hugging the way it progressed was well done and well presented.

I think that focusing on the educational aspect of a EnviroCache is essential, but where I think you're going to run into trouble is just in the general perception people might have with Environmental topics. The teaching aspect of Earthcaches works because geology doesn't have a lot of controversial opinions. For other topics, such as the environment, the educational aspect can easily be perceived as an agenda, and is often used as a marketing tool. Just look at almost any advertisement for toothpaste, and you'll see some authoritative figure (i.e. 80% dentists agree) "teaching" us about gum disease, and of course offering us a solution to cure it. A cache that teaches us about climate change can easily be perceived as promoting an agenda on climate change.

How to present different perspectives on climate change without even appearing to push an agenda is a tricky one, especially if a commercial partner is required. Chances are the commercial partner will have a position on climate change and, as a commercial partner, will almost certainly expect the right to present their perspectives (it seems unlikely that a commercial body would be interested in such caches unless they had some kind of stance on the issues). So if we go that way it's almost certain that one chosen commercial partner will end up with exclusive rights to present their perspective on climate change through the medium of geocaching, which I'd regard as a bad thing whatever I thought of their actual perspective.