March 27 site update

QR caches have been around for a while. Long before "Funzees". So, this sounds like a natural progression.

The major problem with the is you need to use their apps. If you're a poor sucker like me that has a BlackBerry then you can't play that other game. Hopefully, the Groundspeak version will multi platform friendly. Maybe even digital camera only friendly.

QR codes have been around a long time, and may have been used for puzzles in unknown caches and such (no such thing officially as a "qr cache"), but the gameplay style presented here really was introduced on a larger scale with M*. So I wouldn't say it's so much a 'natural progression', as much as an attempt to 'embrace and extend'.

Whatever one's opinion of this move, I hope for their sake they are implementing something unique about these 'challenges', and it's not just a carbon-copy gameplay style as the 'zee...

Edited by thebruce0

Doesn't look like that's what got added. At least not with my limited ability to find new stuff on the internet <_<

Release Notes have been updated. Not much to see there for most of us, though.

Yep. Looks like a Meh update. They're tweaking Challenges, but I haven't bothered with those since the first few.

Yep. Looks like a Meh update. They're tweaking Challenges, but I haven't bothered with those since the first few.

Agreed, meh. At least Challenges are now credited to their creator. It's a good first step, but now they need to add the ability for owners to delete logs that haven't fulfilled the requirements. Until that happens, Challenges are still pretty pointless. 40% (2 out of 5) of cachers that have "completed" my only challenge haven't actually completed it.

I still keep in mind where the local challenges are, in case I happen to be in the area, but I'm not going out of my way to get any.

Looks like it wasn't something added today. Something else was taken away. It seems as if there are no longer google maps on the cache descriptions now either. :o

No but there is still a link to the Google Map. Just as fast as clicking the "dynamic map" button that is now gone.

Finally removing the last traces of Google Maps .. I rather expected it. Sad to see them go, but Google could have done a cool thing and granted Geocaching a Freebie and hasn't decided to.

Agreed, meh. At least Challenges are now credited to their creator. It's a good first step, but now they need to add the ability for owners to delete logs that haven't fulfilled the requirements. Until that happens, Challenges are still pretty pointless. 40% (2 out of 5) of cachers that have "completed" my only challenge haven't actually completed it.

I still keep in mind where the local challenges are, in case I happen to be in the area, but I'm not going out of my way to get any.

Aw man, now everybody knows that I complete my own Challanges. :wacko:

"No but there is still a link to the Google Map. Just as fast as clicking the "dynamic map" button that is now gone."

Starbrand: Where is this link to the Google Map? Or am I simply blind? I miss my maps!

On every cache page, just above the Section which shows the logs there is a list of map Links that looks like this;

For online maps...

* Geocaching.com Map

* MyTopo Maps

* Google Maps

* MapQuest

* Bing Maps

* Yahoo Maps

* Rand McNally

* MSR Maps (Formerly Terraserver)

* Open Cycle Maps

* Open Street Maps

Google Maps is the third link in the list.

Agreed. It gets *very* lame when people claim they completed a challenge and didn't actually do it. If they can give people ownership just like caches, that would be good. It's also very lame to allow people to thumbs-down your challenge or have something you spend alot of time writing up getting automatically archived. Very off-putting and probably why I've stop doing/creating challenges.

I tried munzees for a bit and found them pointless. I also think it's very lame that geocaching.com is copying them.

How many times have I said 'lame' in this post? Not enough, I think.

Edited by The_Incredibles_

Adding QR codes would be neat, got a laser printer and laminator at the ready. As for google maps, greasemonkey can take care of that problem just fine. I can understand google's position allowing for profit sites to basically make money off of using google maps without paying.

Thanks to StarBrand and NYPaddleCatcher for pointing the maps out to me. I can't believe I've never notice that before! You learn something new everyday.

I'll bet you've never noticed the Nearest Hotels or the Driving Direction links either, then?

This is geocaching; a game where we're supposed to find things that other people have hidden. I had to post a couple of DNFs on the Nearest Hotels link before I eventually found it. Good thing we have a virtual phone a friend network for those links that are especially hard to find.

Yesterday I got FTF on the QR Challenges Help Center page.

Yesterday I got FTF on the QR Challenges Help Center page.

Needs Maintenance.

(though some might post Needs Archived)

Agreed. There is a page labeled as section 8.0 Challenges that only has one link on it to 8.1 QR Challenges but there is also a page at section 10.2 labeled Geocaching Challenges (under More Site Functionality) which does not have a link to the QR Challenges (or any other Challenge type) page.

I also think that the Help Center link should be under the "Learn" dropdown menu instead of (or in addition to) the Play menu. Placing it under Play is like trying to find a cache with soft coordinates.