Magellan Explorist GC

When loading GeoCaches today I got a WARNING 1000 GPX files loaded. Please consolidate additional files. Not sure what this means. How do I consolidate additional files. Do I have to delete some of the ones already in there before entering more. I was under the impression that the Explorist GC held up to 10,000. Can anyone help me out with this problem ??

Edited by jkbailey

You must have a bunch of .gpx files loaded that only have a few caches each. Delete some of the older or duplicate ones. Or load all of the files that you need onto Vantage Point and it will load them all onto the GC in one large file.

When loading GeoCaches today I got a WARNING 1000 GPX files loaded. Please consolidate additional files. Not sure what this means. How do I consolidate additional files. Do I have to delete some of the ones already in there before entering more. I was under the impression that the Explorist GC held up to 10,000. Can anyone help me out with this problem ??

It sounds like you've been using the Magellan Communicator and the Send to GPX option here on Geocaching.com. Although this is a convenient option, it isn't a recommended option. This way of doing things creates a different GPX file for each cache loaded and the more GPX files loaded on these units the slower they operate. This is due to the number of file handles (addresses) that the Windows CE/Mobile operating system has to handle. However, is you load pocket queries then you can load 1,000 caches in one GPX file and actually, if you download your pocket queries into the Magellan Vantage Point software or into GSAK before transferring them into the GPX you can then load as many as 10,000 caches without an issue as long as there is enough memory available on the GPS to handle transferring all of the description images to the GPX - if you want the images to be transferred. Personally, I’ve had 6,000+ caches loaded in my GC and it has worked fine.

If you’re not familiar with creating Pocket Queries let me know and I can walk you through it. If you have any questions about downloading the PQs into Vantage Point and transferring them to the GC you can see if the video - Loading PQs with Vantage point. Please understand that this is a first try at making videos and I don’t give an promises as the quality, but maybe it will help.

David

Magellan Insider

It sounds like you've been using the Magellan Communicator and the Send to GPX option here on Geocaching.com. Although this is a convenient option, it isn't a recommended option. This way of doing things creates a different GPX file for each cache loaded and the more GPX files loaded on these units the slower they operate. This is due to the number of file handles (addresses) that the Windows CE/Mobile operating system has to handle. However, is you load pocket queries then you can load 1,000 caches in one GPX file and actually, if you download your pocket queries into the Magellan Vantage Point software or into GSAK before transferring them into the GPX you can then load as many as 10,000 caches without an issue as long as there is enough memory available on the GPS to handle transferring all of the description images to the GPX - if you want the images to be transferred. Personally, I’ve had 6,000+ caches loaded in my GC and it has worked fine.

If you’re not familiar with creating Pocket Queries let me know and I can walk you through it. If you have any questions about downloading the PQs into Vantage Point and transferring them to the GC you can see if the video - Loading PQs with Vantage point. Please understand that this is a first try at making videos and I don’t give an promises as the quality, but maybe it will help.

David

Magellan Insider

Thanks for your help. I just have a few more questions: 1. Do you have to buy the maps in Vantage point or can I load with what is there now ? 2. When you create these pocket PQ, if some of them overlap, will the caches be doubled in my Magellan ?

Thanks

jkbailey

Worse case, do this...

download EasyGPS, and under Files, click on Merge GPX files, point it to the Geocaches Directory of the GC, and select ALL of the .GPX files, except NewCaches & the NewLogs.txt file.. once it combines them, save it to the computer 1st, as a single .GPX file, go to the GC's directory, and delete those .GPX files, and copy the new combined file to the GC. Unplug the GC, and it should see the new file.

I ran into this when I had two .GPX files which had more than a few duplicates, and it nearly crashed the GC.

No, the caches will not double load in the unit. As far as the maps go in VP, you can start using it and there are several ways to come up with some really cool maps to use in it for free or for next to nothing. Hope over to http://www.exploristforum.com and take a look at the software called Mobac, because it will allow you to map custom satellite maps that will work in VP for free... At this point the GC doesn't allow custom maps, but it makes using VP really cool.

David

Magellan Insider