Show us your TOTT!

Skoorb

Oops! Sorry about that typo in the title... It should obviously read "TOTT." :-)

OK, I'm still pretty new to this as far as trying to do it every day, so I was wondering what some of the more experienced folks keep with them when it comes to Tools Of The Trade.

There's one cache near my work that specifically hints to needing a fishing pole and line to fetch the cache, but most descriptions are vague and only say something like "Bring TOTT."

If you like, I'd love to see what you think are essential tools.

Skoorb

Edited by Skoorb

OK, I'm still pretty new to this as far as trying to do it every day, so I was wondering what some of the more experienced folks keep with them when it comes to Tools Of The Trade.

There's one cache near my work that specifically hints to needing a fishing pole and line to fetch the cache, but most descriptions are vague and only say something like "Bring TTOT."

Skoorb

I have never heard of TTOT or TOTT, whichever it is.

What I consider essential TOOLs to bring to a cache: tweezers, flashlight, garden gloves, mirror. I bet others will give you some other good suggestions as well. As you cache more, you'll think of things you wish you had brought with you, and quickly add them to your geocaching bag.

There's one cache near my work that specifically hints to needing a fishing pole and line to fetch the cache, but most descriptions are vague and only say something like "Bring TTOT."

Skoorb

I have never heard of TTOT or TOTT, whichever it is.

What I consider essential TOOLs to bring to a cache: tweezers, flashlight, garden gloves, mirror. I bet others will give you some other good suggestions as well. As you cache more, you'll think of things you wish you had brought with you, and quickly add them to your geocaching bag.

D'oh! I re-read my post a few times to check for typos, but obviously didn't read the title enough. And then did it twice! LOL

Well, that's what I get for being in a hurry.

Sorry about that

Edited by Skoorb

While I havent been at this for long I would say that I have seen a fair variety of caches and until recently (read havent even finished loading the maps to the new GPSr) all my caching has been with an Android phone. That disclaimer said I keep the following, but not exclusively as ToTT:

trade swag

scrap paper

replacement logs

curiously strong mint tin

flash light

UV light

para cord

pocket knife

pen

pencil

tape

batteries

camera

Im sure Im missing somethings but as I am not near my bag at the moment thats all I can think of off hand.

My Tool of The Trade is what I refer to as my "sticky stick", a play on Cobbco Pointy Stick from a Ren & Stimpy cartoon.

Truly, carrying along a one foot stick has saved my fingers from all manner of perilous peril, good for poking in dark spots where the Black Widow may call home. Simply picked up along a trail somewhere a couple years ago, It's a fixture in my pack.

I carry the following.

Several Pens

35mm Containers

tweezers

Extra Logs

Machete

Bug spray

Camo Tape

Electrical Tape

Rain-gear

Muck Boots

Camera

2 GPS Units

Flare

Spot Communicator

Swiss Army Knife

Wire

Magnetic Key Holders

Water proof hat

small Dental mirror

telescopic magnetic grabber

Several Flashlights at least 3

reflective construction coat

I think by TOTT, the OP is asking about items you wouldn't usually think about - special purpose stuff.

Here's a list of unusual items I carry - as opposed to just everyday "outdoors" type gear (flashlight, first aid), and regular geocaching stuff (pens and such):

UV light (A few caches need this, and it's tiny)

laser pointer (for searching through shrubs)

non-contact electrical meter (for those deadly, deadly electrical box hides! ;))

small, extendable mirror.

tweezers

small change pouch with $2-$3 in quarters, for parking

leather gloves

edit: forgot stuff

Edited by Mr.Benchmark

Usually an unspecified TOTT means tweezers. I always carry a 6" pair.

I've also seen "TOTT" mean an inspection mirror. I rarely carry one and normally make those searches by feel.

In some trick caches, "TOTT" means water to float out the cache, although in the cases I've seen there are also other hints to help you recognize what's meant.

Grabbers, particularly magnetic ones, are also TOTT. I have a magnetic stick that extends out to about a yard, but I rarely carry it with me and would consider that a bit cruel as a TOTT without some heavy hinting.

I always carry a hook that extends out to about a yard which I consider a TOTT, but I don't recall any reference to "TOTT" in a cache description that made me think that's what they meant.

With TOTT specifically called for in the description but unspecified, don't rule out the possibility that it's a pure trick and you won't discover what's needed until you get there and look. If it's that devious, you'll just have to make two trips. That's never happened to me, and I wouldn't like it, but I can imagine it happening.

Want's with the ladders? I'm still newish, but I've got my eyes on a cache near me that clearly states its SEVENTEEN FEET up a tree. Huh? Somebody who got it hinted at using duct tape to get it down, so I'm hoping to get it tomorrow with my ceiling fan extendo duster. I am NOT walking out in the woods with a ladder.

Anyway, my favorite tool is my pocket knife that has a pair of tweezers in it. I think I'd like to get one with a pen! I didn't know why we'd need a mirror until yesterday when I was looking for one on top of a wall just over my head. I also picked up a collasplbe trekking pole that saved my butt on a hillside yesterday....it's also good for poking piles do leaves.

Thanks everyone. Some great ideas, considering how many times I've had to walk back to my car because I forgot something as simple as a pen. :-)

You need to consider EDC. (Every Day Carry) in addition to your phone, keys & wallet:

1. Always EDC a knife / multi-tool. Swiss army makes models that have a pen, tweezers, knife blade, scissors. If nothing else, carry one of these.

2. Always EDC a small flashlight.

3. Always EDC a pen

4. Always EDC a small notepad

Even if you wear a suit, pretty much everything I list above can be carried discretely. (There are very small multitools and flashlights, for example.) If you can get away with it, consider cargo pants. The extra pockets are extremely useful, and you can carry a lot more stuff.

My wife and kids make fun of me, mercilessly, for all the stuff I commonly carry. Until they need something.

Thanks everyone. Some great ideas, considering how many times I've had to walk back to my car because I forgot something as simple as a pen. :-)

You need to consider EDC. (Every Day Carry) in addition to your phone, keys & wallet:

1. Always EDC a knife / multi-tool. Swiss army makes models that have a pen, tweezers, knife blade, scissors. If nothing else, carry one of these.

3. Always EDC a pen

Even if you wear a suit, pretty much everything I list above can be carried discretely. (There are very small multitools and flashlights, for example.) If you can get away with it, consider cargo pants. The extra pockets are extremely useful, and you can carry a lot more stuff.

My wife and kids make fun of me, mercilessly, for all the stuff I commonly carry. Until they need something.

Thanks!

Yep... Even tough I've been a member since 2002, I really just got serious about finding as many as I can. The towns I live and work in are filled to the brim with caches and from now on, I'll be more prepared.

So far though, on the 50+ I've found, I've only needed a pen most of the time.

Ha! I just remembered the cool little multi-tool I USED to have. It was on my keychain as I walked into Staples Center in L.A. They wouldn't let me take it in so I had to throw it in the trash because I didn't want to walk back to my car. D'oh!

Thanks!

Yep... Even tough I've been a member since 2002, I really just got serious about finding as many as I can. The towns I live and work in are filled to the brim with caches and from now on, I'll be more prepared.

So far though, on the 50+ I've found, I've only needed a pen most of the time.

Ha! I just remembered the cool little multi-tool I USED to have. It was on my keychain as I walked into Staples Center in L.A. They wouldn't let me take it in so I had to throw it in the trash because I didn't want to walk back to my car. D'oh!

Yes, security is the bane of pocket knives and multitools, that is certainly a drag that you had to chuck it.

BTW, I wasn't just suggesting all that stuff for geocaching - I think it is just good to be prepared for everyday life. :)

edit: say what you mean, mr.b...

Edited by Mr.Benchmark

3. Always EDC a pen

And actually I find that those EDC items carry me through 80% of the caches I encounter. (I'm primarily an urban/suburban cacher.)

The items I use the most are:

My car (yes sometimes I use it for a ladder if the tree or pole has legal access for me to park near it)

Hiking pole to knock hangers out of trees

and duct tape to add to the hiking pole to put it back.

A fellow cacher even used one of my crutches.

My pant leg to help roll up logs tight(Frisbee'r taught me that trick)

String and a magnet to fish things out.

And forceps instead of tweezers.

I had (see it says HAD) a Cabela's all purpose tool, but my last vist to WA it was confiscated by NSA. Forgot to remove it from my gear bag.

Edited by jellis

I was visiting an area the other day that was relatively far from home and in preparing for the trip I noticed several caches that stated that an unspecified TOTT was required. I usually travel light - a hiking stick, camera, and water. But when I saw those caches I was temped to bring along a hammer, hacksaw, drill, chainsaw, and channel locks since that would cover most situations. Instead I muttered under my breath and ignored the caches.

Edited by geodarts

Oops! Sorry about that typo in the title... It should obviously read "TOTT." :-)

There's one cache near my work that specifically hints to needing a fishing pole and line to fetch the cache, but most descriptions are vague and only say something like "Bring TOTT."

Skoorb

flashlight,grabber,small step stool or small person (for access to narrow caves and ease of putting up high), hammer, screwdriver, small propane torch (thawing locks and winter work, spare logs and small containers to help out, extra batteries, laptop to run new queries from any local wifi. Of course LOL. OK we do bring some of this stuff occasionally. Haven't tried the torch let but I really did want one this past winter to unfreeze the rock in front of the cache.

Edited by 3Woofs

Want's with the ladders? I'm still newish, but I've got my eyes on a cache near me that clearly states its SEVENTEEN FEET up a tree. Huh? Somebody who got it hinted at using duct tape to get it down, so I'm hoping to get it tomorrow with my ceiling fan extendo duster. I am NOT walking out in the woods with a ladder.

Anyway, my favorite tool is my pocket knife that has a pair of tweezers in it. I think I'd like to get one with a pen! I didn't know why we'd need a mirror until yesterday when I was looking for one on top of a wall just over my head. I also picked up a collasplbe trekking pole that saved my butt on a hillside yesterday....it's also good for poking piles do leaves.

I have scored several that were "up in the air" they were suspended on a rope or paracord that was looped above and tied off at an accessible height. You just untie the loose end and lower it down. I have never found a cache that required a ladder, there's usually another way to make the find.

I have an eagle creek fanny pack that I converted to sholder carry with an old laptop bag strap. When I do a C&D it stays on the passenger seat. When I leave the geomobile I take it with me and it contains:

GPS

face cloth

flashlight

extra GPS bateries

tweezers

cache repair kit

swag kit

altoids

water

reading glasses

log roller

extra log sheets

pens

hit list

travel bugs

Edited by ras_oscar

I have scored several that were "up in the air" they were suspended on a rope or paracord that was looped above and tied off at an accessible height. You just untie the loose end and lower it down. I have never found a cache that required a ladder, there's usually another way to make the find.

So far, I've found 2 caches that required a ladder. One on top of a bus stop (nothing nearby to stand on and still reach the center of the roof) and one on top of a bridge piling.

It's amazing how invisible you can be walking around in public (like going to a bus stop) while carrying a ladder. :laughing:

Edited by Redfist

On my keychain I have a Leatherman Micra and a Streamlight nano flashlight and both have come in handy, especially the Micra's tweezers. Being small and with my keys it's not a big deal to keep them with me at all times.

Recently I cut a bamboo stalk from a wild patch at my uncle's house and now use that as a walking stick/poking tool. It proved its worth Sunday when I was poking around some loose brush in a tree hollow, discovering a cache and what appeared to be a Copperhead snake!

Immediately I remembered seeing a post on these forums about the same issue and a guy stated he never feels around with his hand anymore for this very reason, and then posted a pic of a Brown Recluse bite wound...better safe than sorry!

I think by TOTT, the OP is asking about items you wouldn't usually think about - special purpose stuff.

Here's a list of unusual items I carry - as opposed to just everyday "outdoors" type gear (flashlight, first aid), and regular geocaching stuff (pens and such):

UV light (A few caches need this, and it's tiny)

laser pointer (for searching through shrubs)

non-contact electrical meter (for those deadly, deadly electrical box hides! ;))

small, extendable mirror.

tweezers

small change pouch with $2-$3 in quarters, for parking

leather gloves

edit: forgot stuff

How does the laser point help you in bushes? Is it just a small focused light?

On 4/27/2012 at 9:17 PM, jellis said:

The items I use the most are:

My car (yes sometimes I use it for a ladder if the tree or pole has legal access for me to park near it)

Hiking pole to knock hangers out of trees

and duct tape to add to the hiking pole to put it back.

A fellow cacher even used one of my crutches.

My pant leg to help roll up logs tight(Frisbee'r taught me that trick)

String and a magnet to fish things out.

And forceps instead of tweezers.

I had (see it says HAD) a Cabela's all purpose tool, but my last vist to WA it was confiscated by NSA. Forgot to remove it from my gear bag.

I've added some of these items to my ideal TOTT list :) Can you please explain how you use your pant leg to roll up the logs?

Love the comments about the GZ that is vertically challenging.  When I go on 5 terrain extreme caches, the TOTT are pretty extensive...  For vertical caches, all this stuff is in a backpack.   Since this type of cache has to have multiple people going (safety), some of this stuff is shared.

Rope

Harness

Climbing gear (usually RADS, a frog or a rope-climber)

Rappel gear (ATC, figure 8, rack, croll)

Carabiners

Helmet with lamp

Rope protectors for sharp edges

Flashlight

For the cave or mine caches, have to add smartwool clothing to keep warm

For the tree caches, a way to shoot a fishing line over a branch above the container, and parachute cord to pull over with the fishing line.  The cord is used to pull up the rope.  Over the years, we used an arborist slingshot, a baseball with an eyehook (under 20' target) and a CO2 powered potato gun.

Camera to record the experience for the log

A decade + ago, we had multiple CO's that would place 8-12 stage caches with at least a cliff or tree stage, a mine stage, and weird stages like in a culvert.  We would spend 8-12 hours to complete the stages, many times ending in the dark and hiking back to the car in snow.  THAT was fun.

Example: GC22Y7Q; lots of pictures in my log using the TOTT for an extreme cache.  Date of 2/14/2010.

Fun times...

Edited by Clancy's Crew

What I normally carry is my iPhone and a pen; completely forgetting mycaching pack with tweezers, extra bags ,etc.  I normally have in my pocketat all times a small bison tune looking tool used to rewind very small logs. I have a Garmin Etrex which at times wish I Hadith me-= but then  need to remember to download caches first!

• Upvote 1