Tick repellent

What is the best Tick repellent you have found?

I was using this stuff that says 30% Deet from Walmart, when I came home I found seven ticks on me. It seems like it attracts them.

I plan on going to a CITO soon, and I would rather have some blood left.

Thanks!

~Gavin's Gang

Kansas City, Missouri

From what I've read on the forum, something called Permethrin works well. It's used to treat your clothing .. not on the skin. You can get it in a soak, or spray for the clothing. available at several outdoor retailers.

google Sawyer Permethrin.

I've got some on order, but haven't tried it yet. It is difficult to find in Canada.

From what I've read on the forum, something called Permethrin works well. It's used to treat your clothing .. not on the skin.

I began finding ticks on my clothes at the end of March here. Then I bought a Permethrin shirt and hat, and the Sawyer Permethrin treatment for trousers, socks, and other shirts. I've attracted no ticks in several cache runs, which is highly unusual.

The comercially treated shirt's repellent is advertised to last through 70 washings. The Sawyer spray lasts "6 washings" (if hand-washed and dried, but I'm using a washing machine). So I'm still testing exactly how long it repels, but the first impressions were 110% better than Deet.

From what I've read on the forum, something called Permethrin works well. It's used to treat your clothing .. not on the skin.

I began finding ticks on my clothes at the end of March here. Then I bought a Permethrin shirt and hat, and the Sawyer Permethrin treatment for trousers, socks, and other shirts. I've attracted no ticks in several cache runs, which is highly unusual.

The comercially treated shirt's repellent is advertised to last through 70 washings. The Sawyer spray lasts "6 washings" (if hand-washed and dried, but I'm using a washing machine). So I'm still testing exactly how long it repels, but the first impressions were 110% better than Deet.

Usually the Sawyer stuff will work about 3-6 washes for me in a washing machine. Honestly I spritz my shoes with it at as well.

Usually the Sawyer stuff will work about 3-6 washes for me in a washing machine. Honestly I spritz my shoes with it at as well.

Sawyer is great because you are not directly putting it on your skin. You spray your clothes let it dry. It really kills more then repells which is even better. You can spray it on your shoes and your hat too.

Treat your clothes with Permethrin..... (you do not put this stuff on your skin). My husband and I treat our jeans with permethrin. When the ticks land on permethrin treated clothes, they die immediately. They say it'll last thru 6 washings...it does get weaker as you wash. Assume 3 washings are good before considering to re-treat.

Other than that....over the counter DEET products will help prevent them from landing on you - but will not kill them. Even if you spray yourself with deet or other bug related products...you should still check yourself for ticks after every trip in the woods. Wear lighter clothes so you can 'see' them. Tuck in your shirts - they tend to crawl upwards and will work themselves into folds/crevices of your clothes.

Edited by Lieblweb
permethrin is dangerous to cats. Is that true? If so, how do cat owners manage this issue

yes, it is true. I handle it by no longer using permethrin - I'm living with old cats, all of them with some degree of renal failure. Toxin exposure is not an option.

Re ticks, I manually remove them - often I carry a change of clothes with me, and do a change at/near the car, removing a lot of ticks at that time.

I do a heavy DEET spray on my feet and ankles and a generous spray over my body. I have no idea if I'm deterring ticks with this, I do generally remove a number of them in spite of the DEET application.

I've read that permethrin is dangerous to cats. Is that true? If so, how do cat owners manage this issue? Especially if they apply to shoes and backpack?

Permethrin is dangerous to cats only when wet. After it's dried on the fabric, it doesn't bother 'em in the least.

I've folded and stacked all my permethrin treated clothes together in a spare room away from light for the past three years.

I sometimes find my thirteen year old shorthair laying on my clothes ( a bad habit, but she's comfy) and she's never showed any signs of being ill.

Sawyer now includes a fact card with their 24oz bottle showing what is safe (or not) and how to properly store and wash gear sprayed with permethrin.

I don't use deet at all anymore, but when I did, the cat would stay away from anything sprayed with it.

After having Lyme Disease a few times, it's war on ticks.

Every fabric I wear outdoors is treated with permethrin. Socks, hats, even packs are sprayed with it.

- Nothing worse than bringing your pack into the car (or into the house) and bringing ticks in on 'em.

And don't bother tucking your pants into your socks. They can get through socks. Not sure who started the rumor that socks were a barrier, it's probably more a visual (if socks are white) thing.

Haven't found a tick on me in three years and I'm in a hot zone.

I don't use DEET at all anymore. It smelly and greasy, you sweat and it burns your eyes and it eats most plastics.

- Worse, ticks simply crawl through it, looking for a better spot.

Permethrin kills ticks.

Permethrin and DEET are completely different approaches to the problem. DEET is a repellent, while permethrin is a nerve toxin. Permethrim is supposed to stop ticks in their tracks, although I have seen them crawling up my pants almost to the waistband before I brushed them off, so I'm not convinced yet that it is as effective as claimed. And as others have mentioned, permethrin is applied to the clothing itself and has to be periodically reapplied. It is never to be applied to the skin.

DEET is a repellent. Apparently nobody, not even science, knows for sure why it works. I have also seen ticks crawling up my DEET soaked arms and legs, so I'm not convinced of its ability to keep me tick-free, either.

I guess that's why most experts still add "and tuck your pants into your socks and do a thorough tick-check afterward" to almost anything written about tick avoidance.

Every fabric I wear outdoors is treated with permethrin. Socks, hats, even packs are sprayed with it.

- Nothing worse than bringing your pack into the car (or into the house) and bringing ticks in on 'em.

And don't bother tucking your pants into your socks. They can get through socks. Not sure who started the rumor that socks were a barrier, it's probably more a visual (if socks are white) thing.

I don't use DEET at all anymore. It smelly and greasy, you sweat and it burns your eyes and it eats most plastics.

Permethrin kills ticks.

Have you thought about spraying your car seats with Permethrin? More than once I have found ticks dwelling on the fabric of my car seats well after I have been in the woods.

(PS... that last reminded me that ticks are MUCH more common after you have walked through tall grass, than after you have been in the woods, despite the name, "wood tick"). They crawl up onto the tips of long grasses, and wait for a host to walk past.)

I do periodic tick checks when out too. Once back at the car after a cache I do a once over and shower immediately after I get home and the clothes go into the wash as well. I don't see either option as a be all/end all for tick issues. Just like I don't see those things like frontline on pets as a be all end all.

It's almost impossible to spray every spot on your clothes and permethrin does wear off at some point. The little guys can get to those spots and hang out and hide. Some detach in the car. Some at home and then attach to your body like that too.

My girlfriend could not figure out for the life of her last summer why her cat kept getting ticks when it's an indoor cat. Told her the dog is probably bringing them in. She insisted the dog was treated with frontline or something. Explained that it doesn't stop the ticks from getting a ride. I also thoroughly check my dog outside if we've been out treated or not. Get the little guys off before they come inside and attach to me or my cats.

Ticks can ride in your hair. I have long hair and thick hair. Those little guys can get all caught up there and never reach my scalp but could potentially get elsewhere on my body once the poisoned clothes are off.

There is no be all end all to the tick control thing. Use your poisons, repellents and what not and then use your brain on top of it.

Have you thought about spraying your car seats with Permethrin?

No. Figured if permethrin eventually breaks down in direct sunlight, it may be a one-day use at best (with the massive windshield of my Ram) to try it - and my clothes are already treated anyway.

Couldn't see the advantage (or the cost) of trying it.

In my area, we can't have tinted windshields.

I do periodic tick checks when out too. Once back at the car after a cache I do a once over and shower immediately after I get home and the clothes go into the wash as well.

It's almost impossible to spray every spot on your clothes and permethrin does wear off at some point. The little guys can get to those spots and hang out and hide.

When I get home, I throw my clothes into the dryer for ten minutes or so before putting 'em in the wash.

Anything still attached is now on the lint screen and not with the rest of my wash.

My other 2/3rds always had a tick or two wandering after a day out. Turns out she failed to spray the underside of her zip-offs and they were hiding under that fold.

Permethrin kills ticks.

Have you thought about spraying your car seats with Permethrin? More than once I have found ticks dwelling on the fabric of my car seats well after I have been in the woods.

(PS... that last reminded me that ticks are MUCH more common after you have walked through tall grass, than after you have been in the woods, despite the name, "wood tick"). They crawl up onto the tips of long grasses, and wait for a host to walk past.)

Yes that is the best way they attach. They stay near the tip of the tall grass and as you brush up against the grass they hook on. You can sometimes see them in groups on the tips of grain. To cut down on them hooking on you I take my hiking pole and gently sweep back and forth the grass in front of me as I walk. But don't do it to fast because they could be knocked off instead of down they can fling up and back at you.

I do periodic tick checks when out too. Once back at the car after a cache I do a once over and shower immediately after I get home and the clothes go into the wash as well. I don't see either option as a be all/end all for tick issues. Just like I don't see those things like frontline on pets as a be all end all.

It's almost impossible to spray every spot on your clothes and permethrin does wear off at some point. The little guys can get to those spots and hang out and hide. Some detach in the car. Some at home and then attach to your body like that too.

My girlfriend could not figure out for the life of her last summer why her cat kept getting ticks when it's an indoor cat. Told her the dog is probably bringing them in. She insisted the dog was treated with frontline or something. Explained that it doesn't stop the ticks from getting a ride. I also thoroughly check my dog outside if we've been out treated or not. Get the little guys off before they come inside and attach to me or my cats.

Ticks can ride in your hair. I have long hair and thick hair. Those little guys can get all caught up there and never reach my scalp but could potentially get elsewhere on my body once the poisoned clothes are off.

There is no be all end all to the tick control thing. Use your poisons, repellents and what not and then use your brain on top of it.

One of my Geofriends the ticks love him. He finds them in the car walking on his seats or dashboard days after he hiked.

I never seen it but hear those little suckers can actually survive washing. I've dropped some in a toilet and they survive a long time.

Not having been able to do much backwoods, off-road caching for a while because of job requirements (gotta pay bills lol) I will add a little.

Last year I made a few tall grass forays, and found the tick problem a LOT worse in the grass than in the woods.

The main thing I want to add is : Permethrin WORKS!!!! We have a little dog inside and cats outside, and have never had any ill effects to ourselves from spraying our clothes, the flower beds, around the foundation of the house, or any where else from it. I use it regularly as an insecticide on my veg garden.

Use extreme caution spraying when cats are around!!! My understanding, and experience, is that it is toxic to cats WHEN WET. I managed to not kill one, but made one cat terribly ill. I am confident it was due to the cat laying in a flower bed I had just sprayed. Have had no problems with it after it has dried, but the cats avoid any area that is sprayed. (which was a plus for me, as it kept them from using my raised bed gardens for a litter box) This year I am trying a Permethrin powder application similar to Sevin, but have not really checked results yet.

The main thing I wanted to add is to repeat the advice to spray your truck or car seats. I found ticks crawling on my upholstery in the truck TWO WEEKS after a tall grass trip. I believe they attached and "traveled" there. I don't really know how long they can live without feeding, but evidently its a LONG time. Nothing like going to work two weeks later and seeing a tick crawling off your headrest onto your passenger. The passenger was NOT pleased.

Edit to add: The spray we have used in the past was Permethrin. The powder I am trying this year on my yard and gardens is Pyrethrum. Pyrethrum is a natural insecticide made from Chrysanthemum, Permethrin is the man made chemical copy of same.

Edited by NeecesandNephews

I never seen it but hear those little suckers can actually survive washing. I've dropped some in a toilet and they survive a long time.

True. Once in the dryer though and they're done.

- And you get the satisfaction of "getting even" by looking at your lint screen. :laughing:

Sure wish I had my Permethrin today! It would have been a good test. My wife and I had at least 15 each on us! We even turned around and didn't finish the walk to one more cache because of them!

Actually, I think I'll go back out there after I get it and get my clothes treated .. it'll be a good test of the stuff for me .. and I'll get that last cache in the process!

In honor of all the ticks I got today, I'm going to start a new cache called "Tick Tick Tick." Maybe shaped like a giant tick.

Seriously, I spontaneously grabbed one cache after the store today, so repellant at all, and found about a dozen crawling on me. That's a new personal record and got me thinking protection from these things.

Sure wish I had my Permethrin today! It would have been a good test. My wife and I had at least 15 each on us! We even turned around and didn't finish the walk to one more cache because of them!

Actually, I think I'll go back out there after I get it and get my clothes treated .. it'll be a good test of the stuff for me .. and I'll get that last cache in the process!

I tried it on another cache run today. Tall grass, bushes, branches, even went crawling around among a forest of small trees. It's as if there aren't any ticks. They usually don't get on my skin anyway (due to Deet). But now they aren't on my clothes at all, so they're not in the car later. Today I wore a short-sleeve T-shirt, no problem. All of the clothes, except my commercially-treated hat, were Permethrin treated by me (I didn't wear the nice expensive long-sleeve wicking shirt this time). I sprayed some Deet on my shoes, and also Permethrin-treated a couple pairs of shoes today.

I didn't see even one mosquito, either.

Thanks for posting this info! If I get one more tick I'm gonna scream. Just reading this thread is making me itch.

Question: does permethrin smell? Will I need to dedicate a hat for geocaching & camping?

I'm a freelance reporter...I did some light geocaching one day, didn't get dirty, so I wore the same jeans to a political forum. I was sitting in a school gym and found a seed tick crawling up my leg. I casually squished it with my nails, wiped it off with a tissue and tried to pretend it didn't happen. But I itched all over for the rest of the meeting just from the thought. :blink:

Edited by stldenise

does permethrin smell? Will I need to dedicate a hat for geocaching & camping?

While you're applying it, it smells like spray paint. I set up a clothes line outside, and spray it. When it's dry, there's maybe a very faint sweet musty smell if you smell the clothing directly (but no odor at all on commercially treated clothing). One wash, and you can't detect it at all. You could wear the hat anywhere, since it doesn't smell "like bug spray". If you sprayed "Off" as heavily on clothing, that would be unbearable (plus it would make a mess). Dried Permethrin is pretty much not detectable.

I'm so impressed, I'm gonna get all hard-core with the stuff. There are ways to maximize the effectiveness when applying it. I'm also working on a system to know when each article of clothing needs a re-do.

Edited by kunarion

Yesterday, 1 P&G cache side of road, out to cache ~25 feet back to car. 23 ticks....... under 2 minutes....... and that was JUST ME dry.gif.

I am the ultimate tick magnent. That being said, this has worked for me thus far (and I live in lyme central - NC).

I wear exofficio hiking pants (conversion too). They are pre-treated with permethrin good for up to 70 washes. I also have other hiking pants I treat with permethrin. I treat my socks with permethrin as well. I have a duo-dry (polyester) shirt I treat with permethrin and wear it under another dru dry layer.

Now, because deet makes me very sick (and never really worked great) I have gotten this stuff called Herbal Armor. It smells good and has no side effects like the deet. I have already been into some high tick areas where I was with a group of cachers pulling several ticks from themselves and I came away with none. So I think my formula works well.

Permethrin kills ticks.

I've found ticks on my truck seats twice now in the last two weeks. Last night I treated my seats with Premetherin.

I am the ultimate tick magnent. That being said, this has worked for me thus far (and I live in lyme central - NC).

I wear exofficio hiking pants (conversion too). They are pre-treated with permethrin good for up to 70 washes. I also have other hiking pants I treat with permethrin. I treat my socks with permethrin as well. I have a duo-dry (polyester) shirt I treat with permethrin and wear it under another dru dry layer.

I wonder how they they make it last 70 washes? They must bake it in or something. My bottle says 6 washings.

Edited by DonB

I do okay around here, but every time I go to Virginia I get eaten up with bug bites of some kind. And I do occasionally feel a tick crawling on me, but so far none have attached to me.

Today I bought a Koppen no-fly zone shirt and convertible pants (permethrin treated clothing), so I'll see if I do better on my next trip.

It was a bit expensive, but I won't be consistent about re-treating my jeans, we'll see if this works.