Garmin Etrex 20 SD Card

Hi Everyone

I just bought a Garmin Etrex 20 and (after reading the advice on the Garmin website) decided to stick a 32gb SD card into it so that I could put on OSM maps as the one it comes with is rubbish.

I downloaded a couple of maps which are IMG files. When the unit is switched on it doesn't seem to recognise that the SD card is there.

I've also done some of that custom mapping using Google Earth and when I save the maps to the unit (in the CustomMaps folder) there's no problem but when I tried putting them on the SD card it has no idea they're there.

When I plug the Etrex 20 into the computer I can open up the unit and the SD card shows up too as a removeable disk. I tried it with a 1Gb card too and got the same results.

Can anybody give me a wee heads up on how to sort this out?

Thanks very much.

Hi Everyone

I just bought a Garmin Etrex 20 and (after reading the advice on the Garmin website) decided to stick a 32gb SD card into it so that I could put on OSM maps as the one it comes with is rubbish.

I downloaded a couple of maps which are IMG files. When the unit is switched on it doesn't seem to recognise that the SD card is there.

I've also done some of that custom mapping using Google Earth and when I save the maps to the unit (in the CustomMaps folder) there's no problem but when I tried putting them on the SD card it has no idea they're there.

When I plug the Etrex 20 into the computer I can open up the unit and the SD card shows up too as a removeable disk. I tried it with a 1Gb card too and got the same results.

Can anybody give me a wee heads up on how to sort this out?

Thanks very much.

Did you create a Garmin folder on the SD card? I'm using the OSM map and as long as it is in the Garmin folder it doesn't need to be in the Custom Maps folder. I don't know if the 32 GB card will work but the 1 GB certainly will.

Did you create a Garmin folder on the SD card? I'm using the OSM map and as long as it is in the Garmin folder it doesn't need to be in the Custom Maps folder. I don't know if the 32 GB card will work but the 1 GB certainly will.

Last time I looked it had to be named CustomMaps (no space).