Anybody Use a GizzMoVest case?

Has anybody used one of these before? I just bought a montana and am thinking of getting this for when I ride my bicycle. It seems a bit pricey and maybe bulky so I wondered what others experiences with it were both positive and negative. I have the suction cup and the ram mount stalk already so would get the one with the ram attachment. For the montana it's $39.95 plus shipping on amazon and free shipping on ebay.

http://www.gizzmovest.com/

I have a Delorme PN-60 and uses the Ram mounts in the SUV and on my Trek mountain bike. I do not use the bike on real off road type riding, but rather on crushed gravel rails-to-trails and have not had a problem where I was worried about the GPS. Looking at the pictures, I have to wonder how easy it is to get the GPS on/off the bike. I saw a lacing type of system that appears to be the method to attach it. That would realy slow me down when I am working a trail on a numbers run.

Edited by Lord Cadogan

I have one for the Montana and I couldn't imagine not having it. Turns your GPS into a sherman tank. I no longer use pouches and zipper cases, I simply carabier the gizzmovest onto my pack and glance down when I want to check the GPS. Get one, you won't be sorry.

I have a non-bike mount one and love it. That being said, I'm not sold on the bike mount one, especially if it takes too much time to get on and off. I have the Ram mount (zip tie version) for the bike and most of my riding with the GPSr is for caching purposes along a rails to trails type trail. Not really an off road excursion that would require extra padding! I usually have mine with me anyway and can just pull it out and zip it up. If I were using it out in the backcountry I would probably consider it.

Thanks for reminding me to adjust the Low Gear stop screw on my bike derailler. Yesterday I was playing with the rear shifter lever and forced the chain off into the spokes while moving slowly. I flipped the bike upside down on the handlebars before remembering the PN-60 in the Ram mount. No harm, as the top of the Ram bike mount became the third leg of the tripod when flipped.

As to the Garmin GizzMoVest Ram mount adaptation, I have seen one sample, and yes it is a little bulky. The Delorme version of the GizzMoVest has not been adapted to the Ram Mount attachment and may be impractical with the standard Ram Mount carried by Delorme.

I have a Delorme PN-60 and uses the Ram mounts in the SUV and on my Trek mountain bike. I do not use the bike on real off road type riding, but rather on crushed gravel rails-to-trails and have not had a problem where I was worried about the GPS. Looking at the pictures, I have to wonder how easy it is to get the GPS on/off the bike. I saw a lacing type of system that appears to be the method to attach it. That would realy slow me down when I am working a trail on a numbers run.

There are two types. One has the just the lacing and the other has a quick release ram mount--the diamond that attaches to the back of the case and the ball part that goes to the stalk. Take a look at this one on ebay to see what I mean

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Garmin-Montana-RAM-Mount-CASE-655t-650-600-Black-Made-in-the-USA-GizzMoVest-/250964584460?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item3a6ea7a80c

I can't decide if I want to get just the ram mount cradle, the auto mount from garmin with the speaker or this gizzmovest with the quick release ram mount on it. My hands are on the small side so that may be what determines it.

I don't plan real mountain biking more just trail riding. I talked with the guy at gizzmovest and he told me that the unit floats with the vest on. For me that is a good thing since I dumped in the river twice. Luckily for me that unit floated otherwise it would have been long gone

For those of you who said you have one is it hard to get on and off?

Thanks for the information!

I use a GizMoVest for my Garmin Vista HCx and it was worth every penny. I was a little skeptical at first because it was only offered through Amazon.com but when I got it I was quite amazed at the quality. The grip is very good and the clip is strong. In fact, I was so impressed with it I actually wrote a review on Amazon (and I don't do that type of thing).

You won't be disappointed if you get it.

I use a GizMoVest for my Garmin Vista HCx and it was worth every penny. I was a little skeptical at first because it was only offered through Amazon.com but when I got it I was quite amazed at the quality. The grip is very good and the clip is strong. In fact, I was so impressed with it I actually wrote a review on Amazon (and I don't do that type of thing).

You won't be disappointed if you get it.

OK. Time for full disclosure.

1) I visited the GizzMoVest manufacturing facility and was comped one of the Delorme PN-20/30/40/60 cases with the strong wide belt clip and also a substantial lanyard with plastic double spring locks and a plastic safety hook for the loose end of the lanyard.

2) I have not necessarily been a fan of cases since reading the "NeverReady" parody of the term "EverReady" case as it applied to 35mm film camera cases over 50 years ago.

3) The clip design is such that hikers could use the standard clip/lanyard combo now, but consider making their own bike handlebar clip on bracket later from two U-bolts with nuts and a homemade plate with four holes in it.

4) As to the floating aspect, it did immediately occur to me that the GizzMoVest/gps combo might float, but it does not in the Delorme PN version with the heavy clip.

5)Shortly after receiving the case, I installed it on a PN-60 and drove 100 miles round trip in the car to walk a quarter mile up a creek and cross a log "bridge" twice. While watching the rapid water flow in the shallow creek, I wondered if floatability was a good thing or a bad thing. :rolleyes:

Can anyone give me approximate dimensions of one for a montana? I have samller size hands and need to see if it would make the unit to big for me. Thanks everyone for your info. It looks like those who have one can'[t think of anything negative to really say...

Can't speak for the Montana, but I got one for my GPSmap 62s and I love it. It's not too heavy, thought it does add a bit of bulk. It's definitely quality work. It has a "normal" type of belt clip on the back and my only wish was that it was a quick-release type.

Based on all the positive feedback here I went ahead and got one with the quick release ram mount for my montana. I paid for it on Monday and had it on Wednesday. Can't get better service from CA to Mi than that. I was a bit disappointed to get one that had the cutout for the camera rather than the one without that I had asked about but it's ok. I've had it about a week now.

It fits the unit very, very nicely, looks rugged and actually is very light weight which I was surprised at. I was worried that it would be too big for my hand but I can still grip it all the way around the back even with the "bump" for the ram mount piece. Even better is I have found that the ram mount piece actually provides a great place for my fingers to grab on. This finger hold actually is a positive. I like the grippy feel to the outside of the case and also the smooth lining inside. The montana itself is big and this case doesn't really add much bulk to it at all. I also like the zipper closure for this unit. But I haven't yet mastered turning it on and off quickly in the case using the zipper staple thing. I'm not sure I like the way the lanyard is but that is changeable and I think personal preference. It works well in my car ram mount but I haven't yet taken it on a bike ride. I have not tested to see if it floats though. I suppose I really should do that before I fall in another river again. LOL

I already have an invisible shield on the screen and now with this case I feel much more confident that my unit will be much less likely to meet it's demise due to my clumsiness.

Oh yeah I forgot to say that it would be nice to have an opening for the headset output like for the mini usb connector. I don't plan to use the garmin mount for navigating so would like the option to use the speaker output to a headset or tiny speaker in the car.

Edited by LadyBee4T

Hey Guys

Just wanted to do a little review about my new case from GizzMoVest for my Etrex 20. I purchased this from Ebay for $25.95USD with free shipping. There are two different colors, the white/gray with a yellow lanyard like the one I have and a Black with a blue lanyard. I decided to purchase this case for its ruggedness and durability to know that my unit will be safer from accidental drops. Also it looks great and feels great in my hands due to the rubberized rough grip it has.

The Case comes with a lanyard that has 2 push clip locks to hold the case closed and another one for any other use. It has a small plastic carabiner type clip at the end. The inside of the case is lined with a cloth material which is soft and easy on the unit so you wont see that wear on the unit itself. That scratch like wear you see from plastic cases over phones or laptops. I think you get the idea.

The unit was easy to install.. fits perfect around my Etrex 20. The case lays flat around the screen which like mine I have a screen protector so it keeps that down well. The edges line up very great around the case.

The sides have a lined indent for where the buttons on the unit are. The inside of the case has a small button to push down on the units buttons. It may seem hard to push down but it really is not due to the indentations on the case. Very easy to feel to distinguish between the different buttons also.

It is just a great all around case. I like it a lot. I did however happen to switch out the plastic carabiner clip for a Garmin carabiner clip because the one it comes with was too small for certain things to clip on. But other than that, great case. It may be bulky to some people but I do not mind it at all.

GizzMoVest also has a warranty along with it. You can return it if you dont like it, functions, or even if it gets bumped into a camp fire. You can return it for a refund or a replacement.

post-5780037-009438500 1338495881_thumb.jpg

post-5780037-014137000 1338495890_thumb.jpg

post-5780037-087271200 1338495910_thumb.jpg

post-5780037-084621300 1338495921_thumb.jpg

post-5780037-085853500 1338495928_thumb.jpg

Edited by adrianricosy

I use one for my Etrex 20 and I love it. I dont have to worry about the unit getting messed up while I going on hikes or taking it on my canoe. I can just lay the device anywhere and its kinda like a good shock absorber too.. I posted a review on the hiking/backpacking forum on here which i should have done in this topic instead.

Perhaps! On the other hand it is also a piece of field use equipment that would be of interest to many campers and hikers venturing into remote areas to protect their technology. There was a topic somewhere asking about them (might have been G&T) perhaps merging with that topic would be best. Some things are just gray areas, aren't they! I'm easy either way, but the G&T forum has been mostly for tech problem solving around GPS and Software issues.

Edit: there were a couple of topics in G&T on this. Either way thanks for the nice review!

Doug 7rxc

Edited by 7rxc

This is the perfect place for it.

Had mine a few days and love it on the bike. Not so sure I will use it hiking since I got the one with the ram ball mount. Have to get a plain one for that.

I also bought the one with the ram mount and I like it for caching. The ram mount diamond makes a very nice finger hold for my hand. I've decided that I don't like it on the 'biner as it seems to swing too much no matter how I adjust it. If just hiking the ram mount diamond could be removed too.

I also fell today and it hit pretty hard on a fallen log. No damage. :D

A couple of weeks ago I was looking for a cache in a rest area. I was focused on the unit and didn't see the curb. I fell hard and the unit hit the sidewalk face down hard. I really believe that the gizzmovest saved the unit because the lip around the screen took all the force of the fall instead of the unit itself. No scratches or anything on the unit. Me that was different but the unit came out fine. I'm very glad that I bought it.

Yes I guess I am a bit of a clutz because this is the second post I have in this thread saying that I fell with the unit. LOL