A modest proposal for forum posting

Any cacher who's been reading this forum for a while will be aware that there are certain recurring topics in both posts and comments and this can lead to repetitive conversations or even forum-fatigue. I therefore propose the following system for swift resolution of all your ranting/moaning needs. ;)

Instead of the effort of typing out a new post/comment each time, if my modest proposal is adopted, forum users can merely choose the appropriate letter. Any potential discursers are thus saved the necessity of reading yet another post/comment about Popular Topic A/B/C/D/E and can spend more time caching instead. (Suggestions for further categories are welcome.)

Suggested Original Post Codes A-E

A. I loathe an aspect of caching that I could reasonably ignore but I wish to rant/moan about it ruining caching in hopes of provoking a mildly diverting argument.

B. I'm a newbie and extremely enthusiastic! I wish to complain enthusiastically about an aspect of caching that I haven't fully understood!! LET ME SHOW YOU MY ENTHUSIASM!!!

C. I have been a jaded geocacher since before most currently active cachers had even heard of geocaching and I wish to complain about an aspect of caching that I believe, possibly wrongly, only began after I started caching. I will only respond to comments referencing events from 2005 or before.

D. I wish to complain about the unfriendly attitude of an animal/bird/human/spiky-plant whose territory I invaded (note: if the post is intended as comedy rather than tragedy then please append the full text of your hilarious encounter for the entertainment of your fellow cachers).

E. I wish to rant/moan unintelligibly in a post that is grammar-impaired, unspellchecked, or otherwise appears to have been typed by an inebriated cat strolling across the keyboard.

Suggested Responding Comment Codes A-E

A. I loathe your post, your way of geocaching, and the horse you rode in on. I could reasonably ignore your post but I wish to rant/moan about it ruining caching in hopes of provoking a mildly diverting argument.

B. I AGREE/DISAGREE ENTHUSIASTICALLY!!!!

C. I have been a geocacher longer than you. I was a letterboxer before you too. In fact I am a Victorian member of the undead returned from beyond the grave to uphold Victorian values in geocaching. Before 2005? Pah! Try before 1905 and I might be impressed.

D. I wish to share my amusement at your misfortune. Sympathy is for wimps.

E. My response is unhelpful, tangential, and probably confusing. I might or might not be aware of this.

:D

Imagine the amount of potential caching time saved if we all adopt this system....

:D

F. Please withdraw your post. This is Tuesday. Thursday is the scheduled day for any posts proposing a standard code for repetitive comments.

W. Made of WIN! :D

May I suggest a slight re-wording?

F. Please withdraw your post/comment because unwritten forum tradition maintains that tomorrow is the only suitable time for suggesting changes to tradition. Custom and practice dictate that this rule also applies when tomorrow has become today.

P.S. E.

They sometimes show the Prime Minister's Questions on cable here in the states and I often wonder what the questioner is refering to when they simply say "Number one" and they get a long response. I suppose this takes it further by asking and responding with just a letter. Sounds like a very British way to do things.

Last year, one of the younger forum posters, Ambient Skater, drew up an excellent Forum Schedule in an endeavour to bring order into the randomness of forum topics. It clearly states which days of the week/month certain reoccurring topics should be discussed and the whole topic is worth reading. His schedule can be seen in the first post...

The Forum Schedule.

As we don't have LPCs in the UK, I suggest we fill those slots with our regular "How caching used to be in Ye Olden Days" discussions.

MrsB :)

Edited by The Blorenges

Last year, one of the younger forum posters, Ambient Skater, drew up an excellent Forum Schedule in an endeavour to bring order into the randomness of forum topics. It clearly states which days of the week/month certain reoccurring topics should be discussed and the whole topic is worth reading. His schedule can be seen in the first post...

The Forum Schedule.

As we don't have LPCs in the UK, I suggest we fill those slots with our regular "How caching used to be in Ye Olden Days" discussions.

MrsB :)

Ahahaha! I hadn't seen that post. Thank you! :D

Clearly a combination of the two system is in order. ;)

G. Your premise is flawed: <insert logical reasoning here>

<People don't rant/moan on the forum instead of caching; they do it to extend their caching-related activities when unable to be out caching, solving puzzles, etc. Don't take the caching-related pleasure of ranting/moaning away from them. Sometimes it's actually more interesting than caching along a trail of bland micros.>

Notice how I segued towards a bit of A and possibly C at the end there :)

G. Your premise is flawed: <insert logical reasoning here>

<People don't rant/moan on the forum instead of caching; they do it to extend their caching-related activities when unable to be out caching, solving puzzles, etc. Don't take the caching-related pleasure of ranting/moaning away from them. Sometimes it's actually more interesting than caching along a trail of bland micros.>

Notice how I segued towards a bit of A and possibly C at the end there :)

I'm sorry I didn't respond earlier... but I was out geocaching instead. :P

I see you've mastered the letter system already. I'd suggest re-wording your G. to cover more, and more likely, eventualities though:

G. Your premise is flawed: <insert explanation commenter believes is logical reasoning here>

;)

Can I suggest a further reply category...?

F - It's just a game. There are other things in life more important than caching, and quite often more fun too. Breath deeply, sit back, and relaxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx........

:)

Best suggestion yet! :)