Need ability to enter date to post log/field note

shrike-mare

I started entering log entries for about 20 caches I had found the previous weekend, when I noticed that I could not enter the date that I actually found the cache.

The logs were posted with the current date and I later had to edit the logs to correct the dates.

It would be nice if the app provided a date entry field that show the current date by default, but allows for user override.

I started entering log entries for about 20 caches I had found the previous weekend, when I noticed that I could not enter the date that I actually found the cache.

The logs were posted with the current date and I later had to edit the logs to correct the dates.

It would be nice if the app provided a date entry field that show the current date by default, but allows for user override.

Bump! I second this request

Edited by FluffyRAM

While I like this idea, I have to ask.... would this open the potential for abuse by people to "back date" some finds to fill in gaps in their Find Calendar?

Truthfully, I've only been geocaching for a month or so and am not that "in" on many (or really any) of the known issues, so take my question as more of a request for my own knowledge than anything else.

While I like this idea, I have to ask.... would this open the potential for abuse by people to "back date" some finds to fill in gaps in their Find Calendar?
You can already backdate logs. Just go to the cache description page on the web site and click the "Log your visit" page. Or use field notes, and change the date before you submit the actual log.
You can already backdate logs. Just go to the cache description page on the web site and click the "Log your visit" page. Or use field notes, and change the date before you submit the actual log.

Yes, the ability to do that already exists. Backdating is used when caching teams split up; a "follow-along-muggle" later becomes a geocacher; corrections for mis-logged trackables.

You can pick any date you want rather than to accept the defaulted current date.

Truthfully, I've only been geocaching for a month or so and am not that "in" on many (or really any) of the known issues, so take my question as more of a request for my own knowledge than anything else.

There is already a tremedous amount of "abuse" among cachers. Some people cache for numbers etc.

Classic example: I have come across a cache, obviously missing (and later confrimed by CO).

FOUND logs inlcuded:

• "should there be a container?"
  • "couldn't find container, left my shoe"
  • "found shoe"

...get the idea!

After contacting Groundspeak about these obviously 'bogus' finds, their official response is that because Geocaching is not a competitive sport, such people are only cheating themselves. There is no policing or governance in place.

This wold be the same for people who choose to edit dates to falsify their calendar of finds.

Sadly, this action can cause a great deal of upset and inconvenience for regular cachers!

e.g. - I tend to check recent logs before hunting for a cache, just to be sure it's there (especially since my husband is disabled, we need to plan more than most and I like to make sure a cache visit will be worthwhile).

So, if I see recent 'found' logs, we will go! If people change dates (forward or back), or log smileys even when they DNF! - they alter the truthful perspective.

Come across any cacher profiles that have found several hundred caches in one day?! Yeah.... 1 every few minutes for a full 24 hours period! Of course...

All sarcasm intended. Steps off soapbox.

I support the idea! I cache in New Zealand and by default the logs appear a day behind. Not sure where the servers are but as I'm trying to complete a 55 days caching challenge I either have to log at a certain time each day or go to my laptop and edit the date found on the log (which could make it look like I've cheated). I do prefer to log in the field so the option to set the date would be great (or for the date to be based on the date my phone is using, or based on the date/time zone for the coords of the cache... there are options here).

Phew. Nice day out, must go caching B)