Logging (?) an Unpublished cache

We have an unpublished cache that has been sitting in limbo for some time....

Today I looked (dunno why) to find this:

Additional Hints (Decrypt)

This is just an aproximate date as I forgot EXACTLY what day I went to do this cache... as I had allready been here once prior, looked for around three hours up and down, in the halls, and I MEAN EVERYWHERE!!!! I gave up and swore I would be back to get this beast! Well, the second time around again I looked for an hour and was about to give up and was actually leaving when I said let me give this one more go... and would you know it? Lo and behold when I drove up to the spot the second time there it was just reflecting back at me with the most EVIL GRIN EVER!!!! I swear to you I had my hand over its hiding spot A HUNDRED TIMES and went right on by it.... TFTC!!!! I had so much fun with this one... thankfully second time I had the parking garage all to myself

Does anyone here have any clue how somebody could've logged this cache -- it looks like a log, but it isn't. It is an Edit to the cache page.

It reads as a log, there is no date, username or any other usual things to a log.

I can understand how a BOT or somebody just entering random cache codes could have stumbled across it, but to get in and actually Edit the page content stretches my brain to the edge of migraine.

Ideas? Perhaps a server hiccup?

server hiccup?

I've never seen anything like that, and I've seen lots of strange things around here.

Does that log apply to that cache? It describes driving up to it, easy to spot (in car headlights?).

If not, maybe there's an identical log on the actual cache page. Or even more likely, a replacement log that's similar, and starts with "I thought I already logged this. Weird. Well, anyway, here's my story..."

[EDIT]: I checked my non-activated caches. One's been vegging out since March of 2010. There's nothing out of the ordinary on them.

The very bottom of the cache page has a line that tells when it was last updated. Maybe it provides a clue?

Edited by kunarion

server hiccup?

I've never seen anything like that, and I've seen lots of strange things around here.

Does that log apply to that cache? It describes driving up to it, easy to spot (in car headlights?).

If not, maybe there's an identical log on the actual cache page. Or even more likely, a replacement log that's similar, and starts with "I thought I already logged this. Weird. Well, anyway, here's my story..."

Well.... there IS no cache. There never WAS anything to drive up to, there is no hiding spot, not to address any halls to walk down.

There are two 'note' logs -- mine. Never published so there is no reviewer log.

I can understand a mistake in logging the wrong cache, but how would one show as an EDIT to our cache page? How could somebody pose (?) as Gitchee-Gummee, member #2412531?

I can understand a mistake in logging the wrong cache, but how would one show as an EDIT to our cache page? How could somebody pose (?) as Gitchee-Gummee, member #2412531?

It's a server database thing, where that bit of data (a real cache log intended for some active cache somewhere) went way wrong somehow to end up in the wrong spot. Does the system allow you to edit that "log" or delete it? Because it may be an active glitch, and if so, things will get curiouser and curiouser the more you try to edit it. But I'm guessing it was more of a one-time thing.

Or you could have accidentally done it yourself if that log was in your computer's clipboard when you edited your unactivated cache page, and then you performed a whole chain of events without noticing you did so. That seems pretty unlikely.

Edited by kunarion

Haven't touched it, I think it's sort of cool. It looks like it would be a decent log amidst a sea of TFTC's and blank logs.

But you know the unfortunate soul who wrote that fun story didn't manage to re-type it (how many times did that story evaporate during the glitch?). So the log ended up as a TFTC. :anicute:

I had to look.

Gitchee-Gummee, you should file a bug report on this. Use the Bug Reporting forum.

Itlooks like someone's log *somehow* got entered into the hint field of your unpublished listing.

There was a period when this was happening, odd bits of listings showing up in other listings, as well as weird html entities. You'll still see those here and there on old cache pages. I think all of that predates your 2010 cache page, however...

Weirdly, indeed.

Nice cats.

You might want to share this with your local reviewer. Even though the odds are rather small, I'd say this is the most likely person to have left such a note/hint, since they are one of the few people who presumably have access to your listing. (Have you been communicating with them via Reviewer Notes regarding this listing?) Maybe they had your listing open in one window while logging recent (and not so recent) finds in a second window and made a mistake.

You might want to share this with your local reviewer. Even though the odds are rather small, I'd say this is the most likely person to have left such a note/hint, since they are one of the few people who presumably have access to your listing.

No. Even if a reviewer were logged into their admin account, and logging finds, they couldn't accidentally end up with their log in the hint field of this cache.

They'd have to open the cache page (which has never been enabled or reviewed) and then open the "edit listing" link, and from there, put their log in the hint field, and then scroll to the bottom of the edit page to "submit changes". To further complicate it, the longish log, in the hint field, is not encrypted. To get to appear like that, you'd have to ROT 13 encrypt it, and then post that in the hint field! didn't happen.

I've reviewed while practically sleep walking, and done some dumb things, but this goes way beyond a "slip of the finger"... (and only a very few reviewers post regular cache finds from their admin accounts).

Edited by palmetto

Stupid question but was this using the new form? I asked this because I just found out a friend used the new form and when her cache was published ( multi with 2 stages) about 4 cachers found both stages without a problem. Then cachers were complaining about being in a swamp and not at the plaque you need the info. So the CO went out there and realized the coords that were listed somehow changed from what she put in there. This was not a CO putting in the wrong coords, this was somehow changed but there was also no log showing a change in the coords either. It just mysteriously changed.

was this using the new form?

No, this listing dates from 2010

the coords that were listed somehow changed from what she put in there. This was not a CO putting in the wrong coords, this was somehow changed but there was also no log showing a change in the coords either. It just mysteriously changed

You're saying that the coords at the top of the listing changed, with no owner or other apparent input? ! got GC Code?