[NEW FEATURE] Who is watching my Cache

23Hunter

English is not my first language, but i wil ltry to explain you this idea as good as possible.

I know about the option with Premiumcaches and the auditlog.

But my request is about something else.

Lets say i have a Trail of 10 Caches which are free for all members(No Pm Required).

Now there is a muggle who knows there are caches, and he doesn't want them in the area.

So he signs up to see the coordinates.

As soon as he has removed all the unwanted Caches he put them on his watchlist, so he can receive an e-mail each time it renewed.

Because the Muggele doesn't prefer to send the Owner an E-Mail to let him know the caches are not welcome in his area he "steals" them again.

I hope you understand me.

Right underneath the "Navigation" Tab there is a small blue box which says, e.g. "4 user(s) watching this cache" .

So i was wondering if you can add a plugin which makes it possible, at least for the owner, to see who the 4 person on the watchlist are.

English is not my first language, but i wil ltry to explain you this idea as good as possible.

Lets say i have a Trail of 10 Caches which are free for all members(No Pm Required).

Now there is a muggle who knows there are caches, and he doesn't want them in the area.

As soon as he has removed all the unwanted Caches he put them on his watchlist, so he can receive an e-mail each time it renewed.

Because the Muggele doesn't prefer to send the Owner an E-Mail to let him know the caches are not welcome in his area he "steals" them again.

Right underneath the "Navigation" Tab there is a small blue box which says, e.g. "4 user(s) watching this cache" .

So i was wondering if you can add a plugin which makes it possible, at least for the owner, to see who the 4 person on the watchlist are.

You explained your request sufficiently. However, like you, many cache owners feel their caches will have added security if they can see who those un-named watchers are, that are "spying" on their cache. This is not true. It is much more likely to result in false accusations against innocent watchers. I predict there is zero chance Groundspeak will even consider this "new" feature request.

It is also possible to achieve watchlist notifications without adding a cache to your watchlist. Simply add the cache to a list, then check off the "notify me when caches on this list are logged"

I always recommend using GSAK and PQs to view PMO caches to emphasize the futility of having an audit log, which (as mentioned) can lead to unfortunate misunderstandings.

You explained your request sufficiently. However, like you, many cache owners feel their caches will have added security if they can see who those un-named watchers are, that are "spying" on their cache. This is not true. It is much more likely to result in false accusations against innocent watchers. I predict there is zero chance Groundspeak will even consider this "new" feature request.

I think geocachers are much less likely to watch a cache if it's not anonymous. Just my thought. Knowing who is watching your cache does NOT indicate who may be stealing them. It's a tool, but not to be used for accusations. Just my opinion on the matter.

Is the ability to put a cache on a watchlist a PM feature? If it is, the cache thief would have to pony up for a paid membership just to use the feature and that's not the norm. If they do become premium members, they could also add your cache to a private bookmark. That doesn't show up anywhere on your cache page and the thief would still get an email notification whenever the cache gets logged.

Either way, as others have said, there is zero percent chance that this gets implemented. Way too ripe for abuse.

Is the ability to put a cache on a watchlist a PM feature?

It's been quite some time since I have read any discussion on this, but I remember a Premium Account as being upgraded to an unlimited watchlist. Then unlimited gets defined as 5000 caches. Nowhere else in the universe are unlimited and 5000 synonymous. A Non Premium Account is capped at 100 caches. Does anyone remember it differently?

edit for typo

Edited by Cardinal Red

Is the ability to put a cache on a watchlist a PM feature?

A couple of years ago I wondered who was watching one of my caches so I posted a note on the cache page asking those that were watching the cache to send me a PM. One of the responses was from someone that was *not* a PM and he indicated that he used the watch list as sort of a poor mans "bookmark" (which *is* only available to a PM) of caches that he wanted to find.