please please help me with my Etrex20

the russinators

From your PQ page look for the tab that says "Pocket Queries ready for download". Click on the PQ you want to load and save to your desktop (any location will do as long as you can find it). Double click on the .zip file that appears you will see 2 .gpx files.

Connect your GPS to computer. Once computer recognizes the GPS click on it's icon and look for the "Garmin" folder. Inside that you should see "Geocache" folder. Drag the 2 .gpx files and drop into the "Geocache" folder.

Remember to close the window showing the GPS and it's file system. Eject and disconnect your GPS. Hope this helps

Edit to add, PQs contain your caches.

Edited by SgtSue

I dont understand?

neither do I since you posted basically the same question in two forums. Very confusing, I don't know which thread I should be answering.

There are 4 different threads, with people trying to help in all of them:

http://forums.Groundspeak.com/GC/index.php?showtopic=299470

http://forums.Groundspeak.com/GC/index.php?showtopic=299466

http://forums.Groundspeak.com/GC/index.php?showtopic=299511

http://forums.Groundspeak.com/GC/index.php?showtopic=299512 (that's this thread)

Starting new threads just confuses everything and everyone.

I think you need to slow down, take a few deep breaths, and crack open the owner manual.

link to online owner manual pdf:

http://static.garmincdn.com/pumac/eTrex_10-20-30_OM_EN.pdf

Start with getting to know how to work the gps first, then worry about Pocket Queries and maps and all that stuff later.

Try getting a few geocaches loaded into the unit to start. Learn how to find those caches on the unit. You don't need extra maps or software to get a few easy caches loaded up.

B.

Edited by Pup Patrol

As you are from the UK we can sort out free maps for you very easily. I hope I can sort out getting PQ's onto your GPS. I've written a simple How To guide on my resource site. Explains all you need to know (and you don't need GSAK).

Maps. A UK cacher has created maps of the UK and Ireland from Open Street Maps. These are pretty good and above all, free! Many UK cachers use them.

We have several active Facebook groups in the UK for geocachers (you'll find details of them on my resource site as well). If you use FB come and say hello and you'll find lots of people there to help you.

Chris

Graculus

Volunteer UK Reviewer for geocaching.com

UK Geocaching Information & Resources website - www.follow-the-arrow.co.uk

UK Geocaching Wiki

Geocaching.com Help Center

I just got my etrex 20. I am using a Mac running Lion. I have downloaded Garmin Base camp. I tried to download the maps in open street maps but I can't get them into my E trex. I followed some of the instructions in your how to site and found the links broken. The map manager with base camp couldn't find anything in the file??

Would you be so kind as to explain how to get the free maps from the talky toaster site into my E trex.

Many thanks

Edited by Kluson

I just got me etrex 20. I am using a Mac running Lion. I have downloaded Garmin Base camp. I tried to download the maps in open street maps but I can't get them into my E trex. I followed some of the instructions in your how to site and found the links broken. The map manager with base camp couldn't find anything in the file??

Would you be so kind as to explain how to get the free maps from the talky toaster site into my E trex.

Many thanks

Talkytoasters maps are 'zipped' up. You need to download the file, unzip it and rename it. Then just copy it to the GPS Garmin folder. This is the linkto his page. The map you want for the UK is this one 120727-British-Isles+Contours-Routable-OS50tt-GMAPSUPP.zip. Once you download it, unzip it and rename it to GMAPSUPP.IMG and copy it to the Garmin folder. Once you switch the GPS on you can go to the setup and make sure the map is enabled.

On my resource site (link under my signature) you'll also find a lot more information about GPS's and also paperless caching - if you become a premium member you can then download 1000 caches at a time into the GPS.

Chris

Graculus

Volunteer UK Reviewer for geocaching.com

UK Geocaching Information & Resources website - www.follow-the-arrow.co.uk

UK Geocaching Wiki

Geocaching.com Help Center