Cache find not posted to Twitter anymore

DeKuijtjes

I use NeonGeo (Android) to log my finds via Field Notes and then submit them using the web site.

Exporting them from NeonGeo to the GC.com site used to cause the log result to be tweeted.

I uploaded 5 logs this morning, and none of them were tweeted.

I just checked and I've had no finds/DNFs tweeted since July 31st. I've logged 25 finds and 1 DNF since then.

EDIT: Submitting them when logging the find/DNF via the web site does work.

I wonder if they changed something with the API (whether on purpose or by accident)

Edited by BlackRose67

A-Team:

I use Field Notes vs. Logs from the iPhone app almost exclusively. Posting a Field Note has generated a Tweet saying that I had found such-and-such a cache since practically forever. There was a period of about six months after Twitter switched to OAuth that it was broken, but gc.com finally compensated for that. I have tweets recognizing found caches up until July 28th. All done based on Field Notes. None since.

Otherwise I agree that a Field Note will _not_ increment your find count, nor will it mark the cache as found.

I'd like to hear some acknowledgement that gc.com is aware of this issue, and what it plans to do about it. Even if this has become the new status quo, it will allow folks to adapt as they will, and not wonder about what has happened.

Elaine Poe

TxStrawberryCreek

Posting a Field Note has generated a Tweet saying that I had found such-and-such a cache since practically forever.

Very odd. I wonder why they designed it that way? I don't use this function, so I'll take your word that this is how it works. It seems to me it was broken right from the start if this is how it used to work. It would make much more sense to have the tweet generated when the log is submitted.

Hopefully someone in the know will come by and shed some light on this.

Yes. I discovered yesterday that the tweets stopped for me after my find on 7/31. I can't even find anything on the site or in the app about setting up tweets like it used to. The only thing I see now is that you can tweet your find when you log it on the site. I hope they haven't decided to scrap the field note/tweet feature because I use that quite a bit.

A-Team;

Just to be clear, having a Field Note generate a tweet has never been automatic. There was, until recently, apparently, a link on your profile page that allowed you to connect your gc account and Twitter to make it happen. Once the connection was made, logs/field notes sent via the iPhone app generated tweets.

Thanks for the clarification, but I did know that much. I just find it odd that the tweet would be generated by the submission of a field note rather than the final log entry. Does the tweet contain any brief notes (ie. "left a TB") you made in your field note, or does it just say that you found the cache?

Thanks for the clarification, but I did know that much. I just find it odd that the tweet would be generated by the submission of a field note rather than the final log entry. Does the tweet contain any brief notes (ie. "left a TB") you made in your field note, or does it just say that you found the cache?

I recall somewhere I was able to specify that the tweet should be sent when logging either a field note or a log from a smart phone app. I can't remember if that was in the app or on the website, but either way, I can't find that anywhere now.

But to answer your question: No. The only thing the tweet says is "[cacher name] found the geocache [cache name][web address of cache page]" None of the text from the field note shows up in the tweet.

Since this has stopped working through the app, I've gone back to sending field notes through TextMarks instead. Those still post the tweets.

I recall somewhere I was able to specify that the tweet should be sent when logging either a field note or a log from a smart phone app. I can't remember if that was in the app or on the website, but either way, I can't find that anywhere now.

You are correct! There was a Twitter option on the profile page just below the "field notes" options but it is now gone and tweets no longer post when you find a cache (other than via the website I presume) because I use the app and it very much used to post to Twitter when I logged a find on the go. I thought it was a really neat feature which only gave a better awareness of GeoCaching so by not allowing us to spread the word via social networking only limits the audience reach in my opinion.

The new version (5.0) of the iPhone app now has Facebook and Twitter functionality built-in (see this post, and the few below it). For those with iPhones, you may want to check it out.

This only posts to twitter when you log a cache from your smart phone. It does not tweet when you submit field notes which is something that I enjoyed very much. I have added half a dozen new cachers to the community from using this feature but will no longer be able to. I do not care to post multiple tweets at 10pm at night when I'm at home filling out my field notes and finishing the logging of caches from my day. Some people enjoyed following our trip to GWX from MA to IN and to 12 other states over the course of 2 weeks ... as it happened. This was one of the benefits of tweeting from field notes as opposed to logging the cache as found completely.

Mind you, it does not tweet out that you found the cache if you logged it as DNF or only wrote a note in the field note. Only when you logged it as found.

It would be great if gc.com posted some clarification and acknowledgement of removing this feature and/or if they'll be bringing it back since it was useful and added realtime awareness to geocaching.

The new version (5.0) of the iPhone app now has Facebook and Twitter functionality built-in (see this post, and the few below it). For those with iPhones, you may want to check it out.

This only posts to twitter when you log a cache from your smart phone. It does not tweet when you submit field notes which is something that I enjoyed very much. {snip} Mind you, it does not tweet out that you found the cache if you logged it as DNF or only wrote a note in the field note. Only when you logged it as found.

Couple of things: First, before this new scheme, if you filed a DNF field note, it would send a tweet that said "didn't find {such-and-such-cache}." It would not tweet "Will Attend" or "Attended" field notes.

Second, this is something I discovered this evening. I was FTF on a couple of caches, so instead of my usual field notes, I decided to send logs (FTF! More later.) from iPhone, with the intent of fleshing them out later. Once I selected the "Post as log" style, then hit "Save & send log," I was immediately presented a page that would allow me to send a message to Facebook and/or Twitter. Oh, OK, so THAT'S how that's going to work from now on. Everything seems to still work, but you have to make the decision each time you do a log. Now, all we need is for gc.com to realize that sending Field Notes needs to be sent to that same page, or at least give a cogent reason why that's not a good idea.

How about it, Geocaching?