[FEATURE] option to specify "reason for deletion" when deleting log

The_Incredibles_

When I delete someone's log, I would like there to be a field that says "reason for deletion" which I can fill in and will be included with the deletion email.

For instance, I deleted 2 duplicate logs today. I could send a separate email explaining my reasons, but it would be much nicer if my reason i.e. "duplicate log" coud have been included in the deletion email.

Thx.

When I delete someone's log, I would like there to be a field that says "reason for deletion" which I can fill in and will be included with the deletion email.

For instance, I deleted 2 duplicate logs today. I could send a separate email explaining my reasons, but it would be much nicer if my reason i.e. "duplicate log" coud have been included in the deletion email.

Thx.

This is one of those things that they said they would look into when they had the Feedback/Uservoice forum running last year. This and a form to write a brief message instead of having to create a separate email.

I don't find myself deleting so many logs that it has become burdensome to send a separate email to explain why.

I can see what you're saying, but I feel this feature would also be helpful to the people getting their logs deleted, not just for those doing the deleting.

Including space for people to specify their reason would encourage them to give a reason.

People may get upset to see their log deleted, it would be nice for them to know why right away, rather than waiting for an email that someone may/may not remember to send.

Edited by The_Incredibles_

Just had one that was "refound" by a cacher. Two smileys, two months apart.

Gave the guy a week to decide which day he wanted to keep, explaining it was a duplicate log. No reply, so I picked one.

But with an immediate "reason for deletion", it wouldn't give a finder a fair option (if they read their emails and cared) for what may have been a simple error.

We like to give a bit of warning, giving them the opportunity to fix it.

I'd like to see the feature. Would be handy if it'd work on deleted pics too.

- But I'd like to see the "reason" section wasn't compulsory for deletion (gotta click on something), leaving it an alternative to an email.

I don't find myself deleting so many logs that it has become burdensome to send a separate email to explain why.

I agree. It sounds like a good feature that I would never use. Of the 7036 logs posted on my caches, I have deleted 1. It was from a German cacher that was clearly caching in Germany on that day and probably typed the wrong GC code. I have had some suspicious found logs over the years, but nothing so Earth shattering that I felt that I had to delete them.

I agree. It sounds like a good feature that I would never use. Of the 7036 logs posted on my caches, I have deleted 1. It was from a German cacher that was clearly caching in Germany on that day and probably typed the wrong GC code. I have had some suspicious found logs over the years, but nothing so Earth shattering that I felt that I had to delete them.

Interesting, I've far less logs on my caches but have already deleted at least 10 logs. Most are duplicates, I think perhaps from smartphone users. A couple others were from logs with blatant spoilers. I deleted the logs immediately and asked the cachers in question to relog. Other than that, I don't bother checking logbooks for signatures. I'm sure if I did, there'd be a whole lot more to delete.

I think I have to thank the local cachers. :rolleyes: Nobody has posted duplicated or suspicious logs on any of my caches so far.

I don't mind sending a separate message for the reason of deletion at all (if I have to), but I would rather just send a message and ask them to delete the logs in question themselves.

I'd rather like to put something on the subject of the message I can send from the profile, so that the receiver could understand why I'm sending the message without opening it. But it's still a minor enhancement (and should be discussed separately if it has to).

I think the main benefit of this feature would be for cache owners who otherwise wouldn't think to contact the other person to explain why the log was deleted. It isn't difficult for cache owners to contact the other geocachers, although this feature would make it even easier. But this feature would encourage all cache owners to explain why they're deleting a log.

I think the main benefit of this feature would be for cache owners who otherwise wouldn't think to contact the other person to explain why the log was deleted. It isn't difficult for cache owners to contact the other geocachers, although this feature would make it even easier. But this feature would encourage all cache owners to explain why they're deleting a log.

I think that most of the people that take time to post in the forum are of the type that would take the time to send a courtesy message if they were to delete another cacher's log. We are of a small sampling of geocachers. There are many that wouldn't even consider the idea until it was explained to them. A web interface that explains what you are doing, maybe even suggests different ways to resolve an issue before deleting a log and then gives you the the tools to delete the log, give the reason, and send a message all at the same time, only makes sense. If anyone thinks that the added steps would be too time consuming or difficult then I would suggest that perhaps they are deleting too many logs. Deleting a log should be the last resort, not the first thing that comes to mind.

Edited by Don_J

YES !!! good point.. please add this VERY importent feature..

and while you are at it,

make it possible to CHANGE a log type

from FOUND-IT to DNF or NOTE for example, and also add a REASON NOTE from the CO who did this change,

some times finders, find the same cache twice, but dont even realize it,

and some times their find it log is good and funny to keep as a note,

or some times they write: in their found it log : did not find or sign the log book,

ok fine, then it is a DNF, so I as a CO rather have their log as a DNF, over having to delete it,

a DNF log is MUCH more important over no log at all.

This is how deleted pics work now. To delete a pic, you're sent to a page where you must enter some text into a "reasons" box*

Curious about the duplicate found log deletions several have mentioned. I don't think I've ever bothered to do this. I might on one of my rarely found caches (this seems to be a phone cacher thing and they're not finding those high terrain hides). I've seen a handful of dup finds on some of my caches. If those players stay in the game, someday they may care enough about their find count to straighten it out, and if they don't, then they won't. In the meantime, it's not worth worrying about, just a technical glitch. My opinion only...Briansnat once said that it would be better to reach out and mentor, explain that this is not how it's done, sounds good. He's welcomed to do that, too ;-)

I have deleted logs on a challenge cache, after emailing, then waiting for 3 months. I figured the loggers would be long gone in 3 months time, and never even notice, and i was right. No need to be in a hurry to hurt someone's feelings, when you can procrastinate til probably won't matter ;-)

(Had some 'bot logs over the holidays, deleted those without comment or email. This 'bot thing over Christmas is getting to be an annual event.)

*This is then posted as a reviewer note log to the page, with the URL of the deleted image, which is still on the server, and now anyone with a watch on the cache has a link to the very image you deleted. The person whose image you deleted is also sent this.

This is how deleted pics work now. To delete a pic, you're sent to a page where you must enter some text into a "reasons" box*

I have deleted logs on a challenge cache, after emailing, then waiting for 3 months. I figured the loggers would be long gone in 3 months time, and never even notice, and i was right. No need to be in a hurry to hurt someone's feelings, when you can procrastinate til probably won't matter ;-)

I'm doing this right now. My cache page says "Do not Stop on the Freeway", and I'm certain that this is what they did. Stopped in the breakdown lane, hopped the fence and ran 700' down the trail to get my cache, instead of hiking four miles up from the canyon. Another couple of months of no activity and I'm pretty certain they won't notice, nor care that I poofed their log.

[

*This is then posted as a reviewer note log to the page, with the URL of the deleted image, which is still on the server, and now anyone with a watch on the cache has a link to the very image you deleted. The person whose image you deleted is also sent this.

Next month, I'm going to post a "Happy Birthday", on my bug report post.

Edited by Don_J