What are the odds?

Huntleigh

The TB started life as a gift to one of my kids prior to a family holiday (trying to maintain/promote an interest in geocaching). My daughter chose to attach a stuffed toy and it was released into the wild on our South Island holiday. It cruised around South Island, NZ for a while then lost its stuffed toy (either pinched or fallen off). A kindly finder offered to send it back for refurbishment and it came with us for an Australian holiday with a metal toy this time. We dipped around various caches and then dropped it off in a cache.

It was then picked up by a novice cacher (1 find) who then disappeared along with the TB in October 2010. Not an unusual occurrence.

It then shows up in the UK ten months later—still probably not that unusual.

The rub is how it was found.

Picture this—two British cachers having bagged a FTF are wandering along a path in the Yorkshire moors and decide to investigate a place to place a cache. They part some heather growing around a fence post and hung on the fence post is the lost TB!

What serendipity was involved here?

Kruger the rhino/elephant

I had started a thread like that I posted strange stories of mine or other TBs and coins lost and found. Like when I went to an event and before I left I gathered all the remaining trackables, and when I started logging them I found some that had not been logged since a GeoWoodstock a whole year before. Found two geocoins drilled and wired together and had been reported missing for over 2 years. One of my coins was found in someones backpack when he forgot to clean it out and had gone missing for a year. Another one of mine was supposely taken to a 5T island. The next finder of the cache reported the coin missing. Over a year later the same cacher logged the coin in. I accused the cacher of taking it. Turned out one of the cachers that went to the island left with the coin not thinking it was trackable and a year later gave it to that cacher who reported it missing by coincidence. Many stories I've heard or been part of.