Time to retire the event cache and CITO cache.

Roman!

From Geocache Listing Requirements / Guidelines

5. Geocache Permanence

•  
  • Geocaches are placed for the long term.

Cachers will expect your cache to remain in place for a realistic and extended period of time. Therefore, caches that have the goal to move (traveling caches), or temporary caches (caches hidden for less than 3 months or for one-time events) will not be published.

A one day event is not permanent and although an event may be fun and a CITO may be good for the environment they both break the geocaching guidelines. In fact it clearly states caches for one-time events will not be published and since an event cache and CITO cache is a one-time event they should not be published as caches. Time to retire them, no?

Edited by Roman!

5. Geocache Permanence

•  

Cachers will expect your cache to remain in place for a realistic and extended period of time. Therefore, caches that have the goal to move (traveling caches), or temporary caches (caches hidden for less than 3 months or for one-time events) will not be published.

A one day event is not permanent and although an event may be fun and a CITO may be good for the environment they both break the geocaching guidelines. In fact it clearly states caches for one-time events will not be published and since an event cache and CITO cache is a one-time event they should not be published as caches. Time to retire them, no?

No.

5. Geocache Permanence

•  

No.

Hmmm, I posted a good argument why they should be retired and the best you got is "no"?

Sounds like a Mitt Romney kinda like reply.

It is also against the guidelines to leave beer in a cache, but okay to drink it at some events. Your plan would exclude beer from caching altogether. :mad:

Hmmmm, looks like I haven't thought things through but they do still break the guidelines.

5. Geocache Permanence

•  

Another no.

1. Your last thread was about retiring puzzle caches. You might consider having just one thread calling for the abolishment of all the cache types you don't like. Next week's thread on Wherigo caches might otherwise get lost.

2. If you want to hurl political insults, we have an off-topic forum for that.

5. Geocache Permanence

•  

A one day event is not permanent and although an event may be fun and a CITO may be good for the environment they both break the geocaching guidelines. In fact it clearly states caches for one-time events will not be published and since an event cache and CITO cache is a one-time event they should not be published as caches.

No.

Hmmm, I posted a good argument why they should be retired and the best you got is "no"?

Cool, if you want to insult me, [Removed after reading Keystone's sugestion].

You asked a question. "Time to retire them, no?". I answered. "No".

Other than that, I think you are just craving attention.

Edited by Don_J

I don't agree with this thread either, just like I didn't with the last.

As was stated in the previous thread several times, Groundspeak defines the valid types of cache and as such defines the game. Event caches are valid therefore.

If there is an inconsistency in the way the rules are written, then TPTB can address that.

If you don't like events, don't go to any.

Plus, the proximity rule doesn't apply, so you can place physical caches right next to them if you want.

Edited by Beach_hut

5. Geocache Permanence

•  

No.

I agree...No!

The way I see it, an event is not a cache. Leastaways, I've never gone to an event in an ammo can...

Why would you want to ban something that serves a positive and useful role? Seems to me it'd make more sense to call for a ban forum threads calling for bans on things, no?

When you say it often enough, ban is a funny sort of word isn't it? Ban, ban, ban, yeah.