Garmin GPSMAP 62S firmware updated...

Pacific NW

Look Here.

Thanks!! That's what I was looking for essentially.

Question - is the 'dashboard' any different (better/worse) than web-updater? My husband has always used web updater.

He'll update the 62s today prior to traveling for the holidays. He'll leave the Oregon alone for now - since it's been good (knock on wood). I'd hate to see both units go bonkers at the same time!!

Thanks again!!

Edited by Lieblweb

OK, I just upgraded to 4.60 and tried to put it through it's paces with regards to the Geocaching dashboard, since that it what was causing me (and others) some problems.

FYI, this is all on a GPSMAP 78sc with the Garmin Northeast 24K Topo displayed. Most settings are middle / average (zoom, detail, etc.). I'm in the Geocaching profile, but I have customized it a bit.

Anyway:

I was NOT able to reproduce the 'sudden power' down / lockup problem that I was having on previous firmware versions. It was similar to what is described in this thread:

http://forums.Ground...6

It appears that 4.60 has fixed that problem.

However, I am still having trouble with the "Geocaching" dashboard. It is really weird...

If I scroll around with the arrow keys and find a 'daughter' waypoint (like a parking area) for a geocache, and "GO" to that waypoint, the map screen back at my current position will not update. Zooming in or out doesn't redraw the view, so it appears pixelated when zooming in. Here is what I mean:

1353471120.jpg1353471145.jpg

Isn't that crazy? It is easy to fix - simply pressing the MENU button and then QUIT redraws the map, and then it looks nice:

1353471303.jpg

In addition to this problem, I think that the map redraws (even when not trying to navigate to anything) with the Geocaching dashboard displayed are slower than with any other dashboard or with other data fields displayed. Other than that, I can't find any problems with 4.60 (but I haven't gone out in the field yet).

The problems documented above do NOT occur when using the Geocaching - Detail dashboard:

1353471485.jpg1353471509.jpg

Also, I have verified something that I haven't had much experience with, but is confirmed in other threads. When navigating to a waypoint (not a cache), both Geocaching dashboards display the title, bearing, and distance to the closest cache, NOT the bearing, distance and title of the waypoint. For example, in the two screen shots directly above, I'm NOT navigating to "Icarus Regrets..." - I'm navigating to waypoint CS3EJ64. However, when you are navigating to any actual geocache, the dashboard (both geocaching types) will show the title, distance and bearing to the geocache you're navigating to. Example:

1353471834.jpg1353471860.jpg

In the screen shots above, I'm not navigating to the closest geocache, but the dashboard gives me the info I need.

To work around the problem with the dashboard giving unhelpful information when I'm navigating to a waypoint, I figured out that I can just go to setup map and change the data fields displayed. Then I get good and useful information:

1353472812.jpg1353472842.jpg1353472866.jpg

Hope this helps someone!

Dave

EDIT:

What in the world is the time displayed in the very small font at the bottom of the Geocaching - Detail dashboard? In the screen shots above, it is "54 hr 38 min" - what have I been doing for that long? I have tried to figure that out before, but I'm stumped. Perhaps it is the time it took for me to put together this post?

Edited by Team Periwinkle

OK, I just upgraded to 4.60 and tried to put it through it's paces with regards to the Geocaching dashboard, since that it what was causing me (and others) some problems.

FYI, this is all on a GPSMAP 78sc with the Garmin Northeast 24K Topo displayed. Most settings are middle / average (zoom, detail, etc.). I'm in the Geocaching profile, but I have customized it a bit.

Anyway:

When navigating to a waypoint (not a cache), both Geocaching dashboards display the title, bearing, and distance to the closest cache, NOT the bearing, distance and title of the waypoint.

This is proper operation. The Geocaching Dashboards ALWAYS display geocaching information, not waypoint information.

To work around the problem with the dashboard giving unhelpful information when I'm navigating to a waypoint, I figured out that I can just go to setup map and change the data fields displayed.

Why not create separate profiles, one for Geocaching, another for Hiking, etc?

What in the world is the time displayed in the very small font at the bottom of the Geocaching - Detail dashboard? In the screen shots above, it is "54 hr 38 min" - what have I been doing for that long? I have tried to figure that out before, but I'm stumped. Perhaps it is the time it took for me to put together this post?

This is the time elapsed since you last logged a found geocache with this GPSr unit.

An FYI...

Just updated to 4.60 from Beta version 4.52, unit appeared to do the update (validate Software and Load) then unit displayed a message (which was something like) 'New software has been found with an older version number than that installed. Install? Y/N', so I installed. After the update completed unit infrmation showed 'Beta Software 4.52'.

So, I tried it again and this time said 'No' to the new software that it had found - this time the unit displays 'Software Version 4.60'.

We shall see what happens!

When navigating to a waypoint (not a cache), both Geocaching dashboards display the title, bearing, and distance to the closest cache, NOT the bearing, distance and title of the waypoint.

This is proper operation. The Geocaching Dashboards ALWAYS display geocaching information, not waypoint information.

OK, that makes sense, kind of...That sounds like a 'letter of the law' interpretation (by Garmin) rather than a practical one...although I guess I can see a benefit of showing nearby geocaches while you're navigating to a non-geocache related waypoint. I still think the dashboard should give you nav data for the waypoint (especially when the waypoint is cache related). But I see the logic.

To work around the problem with the dashboard giving unhelpful information when I'm navigating to a waypoint, I figured out that I can just go to setup map and change the data fields displayed.

Why not create separate profiles, one for Geocaching, another for Hiking, etc?

Good idea. I had thought of it but dismissed it because it's pretty easy to change data fields. But changing profiles (once they are setup) is even fewer keystrokes...even if the Garmin interface / firmware / menus can be somewhat clunky sometimes, they do have a lot of power!

What in the world is the time displayed in the very small font at the bottom of the Geocaching - Detail dashboard? In the screen shots above, it is "54 hr 38 min"

This is the time elapsed since you last logged a found geocache with this GPSr unit.

Fantastic! Where is that documented?

Thanks Atlas Cached!

Good day,

I own a GPSMap 62s and updated my firmware to 4.60 the other day. I like the feature that i can log the find from the compass menu. but know when i do this i notice a few more option. Rate cache and verify find. the rate cache i think i can figure that out but does geocaching.com use that data or is it only for my use? second every time i select the verify find button, while im at the cache my unit shuts off. What is the verify find for and does anyone else have this problem.

Nick

Good day,

I own a GPSMap 62s and updated my firmware to 4.60 the other day. I like the feature that i can log the find from the compass menu. but know when i do this i notice a few more option. Rate cache and verify find. the rate cache i think i can figure that out but does geocaching.com use that data or is it only for my use? second every time i select the verify find button, while im at the cache my unit shuts off. What is the verify find for and does anyone else have this problem.

Nick

You were logging an OpenCaching.com cache if you were offered "Rate This Cache" and "Verify Find". (or the firmware in your GPSr has a major bug!)

More info on these functions can be found on the Montana wiki. While the menus are slightly different, the essential information is still the same.

More information also available from Garmin here.

Edited by Atlas Cached

Used the 62s for a couple days over the holidays... with 4.60 freshly installed.

Granted, we were on the road....live hunting (as we would use it regularly). We didn't spend any times searching for differences or changes. We just turned it on several times and went hunting.

No crashes, no hiccups...it was nice (as it used to be after we bought it).

Crossing fingers this continues.

Used the 62s for a couple days over the holidays... with 4.60 freshly installed.

Your post reminded me...we used the new 4.60 for a full day. Did a multi, an EarthCache, and a couple of traditionals. We had no problems, although I was only using the Geocaching - Detail dashboard and I didn't try the standard Geocaching dashboard.

Dave