New application to filter / sort the content of your GPX files

spaceeye

Hi,

I'm quite new to geocaching and even with a premium account I think it's hard to prepare correctly your trips. For instance if I want to filter caches with a specific attribute, at a certain maximum distance of my house, or anything related to the many property of a cache... well, it's hard. I used to create pocket queries for specific request but the process is painful and long.

I know that highly complex tools exist like GSAK or whatsoever, but I just wanted to have something SIMPLE. Something to answer simple questions like "what are the caches with attribute 'Abandoned mine' in the near 50Km around my house and with a difficulty of 4 maximum".

So, as a former software developer, I decided to create my own program to deal with my regular GPX exports. The basic idea is to allow you to use as many filter as you want on your GPX collection to find out the caches you want. This program is free, without any advertisement / spam / bloody IE toolbar / spy crap, will be free forever.

I do not intend to make any money with it. I just made it for myself and other friends but I decided to share it with the community.

You can find it there: http://spaceeye.site88.net/index.html

The website is in French, but the software is bilingual (French+English). Hope it will help some of you :-)

It looks good, although there is one thing which would be annoying... KM instead of miles!!

Also a way of opening GPX files rather than dropping them in a directory. Opening zip files downloaded would be a great idea.

If I wasn't a GSAK user then I'd definitely give this a go :)

Very nice!

Needs Miles option, not always KM.

Loading GPX without drag-n-drop needed.

Please also enable Attribute filters to be checked individually, similar to Size and Type filters. Currently, you can only look for caches with ONE common attribute. Need ability to select several attributes THEN search :)

Looks VERY promising.

Will test and use as developed!

Thank You!

Hi folks, thanks for your nice feedback.

I'll definitely wipe myself for not having thought about the Miles option. I'm complaining so much myself when an application does not handle Km properly, I can imagine it can be the same for you ;-)

I'll work on you ideas for the next release:

- Miles/Km option

- Possibility to open a GPX file directly from the application (load file menu option)

- Possibility to select several attributes (this one is tricky in term of HMI).

- Possibility to load zipped GPX files (I'll give it a try).

Thanks again for your feedback.

PS: One day my website will be in English... once I'll figure how to do it in a simple way ;-)

Hi folks, thanks for your nice feedback.

I'll definitely wipe myself for not having thought about the Miles option. I'm complaining so much myself when an application does not handle Km properly, I can imagine it can be the same for you ;-)

I'll work on you ideas for the next release:

- Miles/Km option

- Possibility to open a GPX file directly from the application (load file menu option)

- Possibility to select several attributes (this one is tricky in term of HMI).

- Possibility to load zipped GPX files (I'll give it a try).

Thanks again for your feedback.

PS: One day my website will be in English... once I'll figure how to do it in a simple way ;-)

Thank You!

No rush on English website, if any user views in Google CHROME, it will translate for you!

Ok, new version is there. The complete release note is visible on the website (download page).

Here is an extract:

- Added option to chose between miles & kilometers

- Added possibility to select several attributes (new selection windows)

- Added menu entry to load GPX & zipped GPX files

* User will have the choice to replace all the current caches with the loaded file(s)

* Zipped GPX files are supported (tested with pocket queries from GC.com)

- Added possibility to put zipped GPX files in the /GPX directory of the application. They will be loaded if they contain GPX files.

- Added possibility to directly drag & drop GPX or Zip files to the running application

- It's possible to associate GPX files with MyGeocachingManager: application will load them (and only them)

if double clicked

By the way, the site is now in French and in English. For those who do not use Chrome (anyone here??), there shouldn't be any language issue :-)

Oh...a small suggestion....mygeocachingmanager.com is available. :)

Also where you can filter between Available and Archived, would it be an idea to add Temporary Disabled?

Or possible change it to select Available/Not Available? This would make more sense as you wouldn't generally download archived caches in a PQ.

Edited by eusty

While you're sleeping, I'm working here ;-)

New version is there with a couple of fixes (thanks Eusty for the bug report).

@Atlas Cached, I'm considering your request about the columns, I need to think a bit about that, this is not so easy to do ;-)

Majors changes are changes in the HMI (it was getting crowded...), now with tabs for the filters. You cannot see the complete filter at a glance, but I think it's less aggressive for your eyes.

Another change is the possibility to load/save filters. Still a bit experimental, don't rely to much on it since I'm still wondering about the compatibility of created filters with future versions if I do major changes...

Here is the changelog for today:

2012/12/21: Version 1.0.4738.29943

- Added complete new layout with tab for filters (stared when a filter is activated), hope if more clear

- Added possibility to save / load / delete filter on your hard drive :-)

- Change checkbox "Archived" to "Not Archived", now checked by default. Should be more logical regarding the

list that display the "Not Archived" value

- Changed the display of "Not Available" caches: now the text name is strikeout both in the list view,

the HTML export and the cache details.

After investigation, I can confirm cache "Temporary disabled" are automatically declared "Non Available".

So if one selects "Non Available" caches, it will filter both "Temporary disabled" and "Non available" caches.

- Fixed a bug in the Google Maps display where cache symbols were not centered on the actual cache position.

(thanks eusty for pointing that out)

- User request under investigation: Any chance of adding ability to enable/disable each column in the data display,

and re-order them by dragging to a new position?

Now it's the week-end, so don't expect any update until the 26th of December. Enjoy the Xmas break if you've got one, wish everyone my best wishes!

New update, merry Xmas ! ;-)

2012/12/24: Version 1.0.4741.20811

- Optimized list display when filter & sort are activated, hould be MUCH faster now with huge cache list

- Reworked the "check for update" process. No it should be more stable and reliable. It also ask if

you want to automatically download & apply the update (and do it if you chose so).

- Reworked the configuration management: now when you update the application, you do not need to overwrite the

configuration file anymore, it will automatically upgraded to the latest version preserving your settings

- Added possibility to filter attributes that are NOT present in a cache (for instance exclude all caches

with attribute "Need maintenance")

- Added possibility to hide/show column. That's still a bit quick & dirty (columns still presents but with width = 0)

This configuration is automatically saved and restored

- Added context menu entry when you right click on caches: now you can toggle manual selection / force selection / force deselection

- Added dynamic textual explanation of the "Status" & "User" filters (explanation right beside the filters options).

- Added automatic filter activation when you change one of its parameter: no need to manually check the filter to activate it

- Added button in home coordinates update configuration window to automatically visualize entered values on Google Maps

- Changed manual selection column : when it's not selected, no icon is displayed

- Changed display of manually selected caches: in addition to the tick mark icon, they are highlighted in lime green.

- Changed color for selected attributes -> pale green

Edited by spaceeye

New version & bugfixes available :-)

2012/12/27: Version 1.0.4744.29878

- Added support for forgotten cache type: CITO, Project Ape, MEGA-Event

- Fixed translation issues :-) - Fixed issue with distance min & max when loading a filter with "use Miles" option activated

- Fixed issue with some attributes not displayed properly

- Fixed issue with forgotten log types (mainly related to Events & Webcam)

- Fixed some icons transparency

2012/12/26: Version 1.0.4743.35861

- Added "close all tabs" option in context menu for cache detail

- Changed columns for Available / Archived: now merged into one single column

- Changed icon for archived with the old one from Geocaching

- Changed display of all caches on Google Maps: now when you click on a cache, a tooltip

with many cache information is available (including a link to GC.com)

- Fixed some translations in context menu

- Fixed compatibility with GPX from GeoPrinter, a lot of elements are missing from its import :-)

- Fixed GPX loader, now, MUCH more robust and should be able to handle even weird GPX from 3rd party apps

BUT... it's a little slower (ok, it's only visible with several thousand of GPX)

Fantastic!

You have already accomplished more (singlehandedly) in one month than Garmin can accomplish in one year!!!

BTW, when I select Version -> Version, the info box displays the software version twice for some reason.

You should add a link to your post with the download link to each update announcement so users here will not have to search for it :)

Thanks a lot for your comment, you made my day ;-)

There was obviously a bug in the "About" box, will be corrected in the next release... And I'll add a link to my website ;-)

Fantastic!

You have already accomplished more (singlehandedly) in one month than Garmin can accomplish in one year!!!

BTW, when I select Version -> Version, the info box displays the software version twice for some reason.

You should add a link to your post with the download link to each update announcement so users here will not have to search for it :)

Bug?

When I select Display and deselect data columns, the header for those columns disappears, but the data remains. If I deselect several columns, the data for each column is displayed over each other.

Hum, that's odd, I do not reproduce this one :(

Which operating system do you have ? (XP, Vista, Seven, 8 ?). Can you post a screenshot ?

Bug?

When I select Display and deselect data columns, the header for those columns disappears, but the data remains. If I deselect several columns, the data for each column is displayed over each other.

Which operating system do you have ? (XP, Vista, Seven, 8 ?). Can you post a screenshot ?

WIN XP SP3 32bit

Like This?

mgmdisplayerror.png

(I was sure it was on XP :rolleyes: ). I'll try to reproduce it (then to fix it), thanks for the screenshot.

Bug?

WIN XP SP3 32bit

Like This?

mgmdisplayerror.png

ANY help you need with this application I will eagerly give!

Thank you for your great work!

I am especially excited that this is a self contained EXE, so I can freely run it from an external USD drive, etc.

Ok, I was able to reproduce it only on Win XP by first hiding the column "Attribute" (display is fine), then the column "Attribute (text)": display is messed up. The issue seems to affect only these two columns. Now I can work on a bugfix but it might take time since I'll have to juggle with two different windows version :-\

Hi everyone, happy new year :-)

Long time without an update so here it is with a huge changelog:

2013/01/03: Version 1.0.4750.34587

- Added: Waypoints support. If present in any GPX, they are attached to corresponding cache

Icons are also used in cache details. GPX export now includes waypoints associated tow

Exported caches

2013/01/02: Version 1.0.4749.42969

- New features:

* Textual filter can now be applied to cache name / owner name / GC code

* Possibility to add a note (text) to a cache (context menu entry or left click on the GC code)

* Possibility to download pictures from a cache for offline display (context menu entry). So before

traveling, you can automatically download pictures from a cache (mystery for instance) and be able

to consult the cache detail with these pictures even without internet access (context menu entry)

2012/12/31: Version 1.0.4747.38743

- Happy new year ! ;-)

- Changed context menu (right click when several caches are selected) content:

* Selection / Deselection of highlighted caches are grouped under "Selection" entry

* New entry "Google Maps" created with possibility to display only the highlighted

caches on Gmaps, with the maps centered on the berycenter of this selection.

Possibility to display as usual all caches on Gmaps but with the map centered on

a specific cache

2012/12/29: Version 1.0.4746.25855

- Added button to reinit all filters

- Added possibility to chose filename & filepath for HTML / GPX export

- Changed "Filter" button to make it more visible (gold backcolor). I'm still not happy with it...

- Fixed bug with hints not displayed anymore (sorry for that)

- Fixed bug with caches not displayed properly when not log at all present in the GPX file

2012/12/28: Version 1.0.4745.30112

- Fixed incorrect column display (Attributes, Attributes (text)) on Windows XP

- Fixed incorrect column display in very particular cases when resizing to extra small width on all OS

- Fixed incorrect / missing translations

You can still download the software here : http://spaceeye.site88.net/en/downloads.php

Super special request:

In Configuration, we can manually input home location.

Is there any way possible to add code for a "Use Current Location" option (via IP address, etc)? And/Or "Get From GPS"?

:D

Ok I think I can fix the copyright quite easily :lol:

But for the location, I'm in a dead end. I have absolutely no clue on how to do that. Well, that's not exactly true: I know how to do that if I restrict my application to Windows 8 (which I don't want) or how to do that within a web page. But from my application...

Any developer out there with some idea on how to implement that ? :unsure:

Long time without any news :-)

New update is coming before end of this week;

Bad news: I couldn't manage to add the "use current location" option as requested by Atlas Cached. But in exchange a new filter to display caches "Near" a location will be there.

Here is a most likely changelog for this version:

- Added: spoiler & pictures are now part of the offline data downloaded for a cache. To display image / spoiler

right click on a cache then select the entry menu "Display images & spoilers"

- Added new filter "Near" to select caches near another cache or a location, within a specific radius. Accessible

also through context menu on a cache (right click on the cache name -> "Filters")

- Added (activated through options) possibility to display on google maps a disk of 161m radius around each cache

(typically to know if you can place a cache in a specific area)

- Added (experimental !) function that computes the shortest path through all displayed caches (Travelling salesman problem)

If you click on the displayed path, the total distance will be displayed also :-)

- Added new columns : owner, state, country, hint (decoded !)

- Added new filter: "Country/State" to filter specific country/state combination. WARNING: the list of countries / states

is built based on what is found in your loaded GPXs (since GC.com does not provide a fixed list of countries with

matching states.)

- Added new filter: "Multiple filters". This will allow to run at once several saved filters and display the union

of each filter's result. For instance you will display all caches that match filter #1 OR filter #2. Useful if you

want to create complex filters like caches that are near me OR with attribute xyz OR with attribute abc

- Added multiple sort on the list column. To activate several sort type, just hold CTRL key and click on all

the column headers you want

- Added possibility to insert (and view) a comment on a cache (like the solution of a Mystery). Just click on the cache CODE (first column)

and enter your text (or right click on a cache name -> Offline -> ...)

- Fixed: many bugs and some mistakes in GPX generation (but nothing preventing you to use your former exported GPXs)

Note from the moderator: The Groundspeak forums really aren't meant as a primary way for third party developers to communicate with their users and daily build announcements. Please direct such traffic to your own resources. Thank you.

Yeah, Groundspeak definitely does not play well with others... just ask Garmin ;-)

Note from the moderator: The Groundspeak forums really aren't meant as a primary way for third party developers to communicate with their users and daily build announcements. Please direct such traffic to your own resources. Thank you.

Yeah, Groundspeak definitely does not play well with others... just ask Garmin ;-)

+1

BTW - Did anyone else happen to catch How the Grinch Stole Christmas this holiday season?

Hi everyone, just a short message to let you know that I'm still working on it :laughing:

I have questions for the Pocket Queries experts :

- Is there a way to export with your pocket queries the "Personal Cache Note" you can write on caches on GC website?

- I have the feeling that there is no way to distinguish within a GPX file if a cache is Premium Member Only or not. Can anyone confirm?

Due to my old server being downtime most of the time, I move the program here : http://mgmgeo.free.fr/

Hi,

I'm quite new to geocaching and even with a premium account I think it's hard to prepare correctly your trips. For instance if I want to filter caches with a specific attribute, at a certain maximum distance of my house, or anything related to the many property of a cache... well, it's hard. I used to create pocket queries for specific request but the process is painful and long.

I know that highly complex tools exist like GSAK or whatsoever, but I just wanted to have something SIMPLE. Something to answer simple questions like "what are the caches with attribute 'Abandoned mine' in the near 50Km around my house and with a difficulty of 4 maximum".

So, as a former software developer, I decided to create my own program to deal with my regular GPX exports. The basic idea is to allow you to use as many filter as you want on your GPX collection to find out the caches you want. This program is free, without any advertisement / spam / bloody IE toolbar / spy crap, will be free forever.

I do not intend to make any money with it. I just made it for myself and other friends but I decided to share it with the community.

You can find it there: http://spaceeye.site88.net/index.html

The website is in French, but the software is bilingual (French+English). Hope it will help some of you :-)