[SUGGESTION] Pop Up Alert For Duplicate Found Entry

doug_hollyNKC

I know I've done it myself and I'm sure everyone has, but I would like to have a little pop up message for when I'm logging a duplicate find.

Such as, "You, have already found this cache, are you sure you want to continue?"

I own 50 caches so it's something I see often, especially with the smart phones users, but I know it's not limited to just them. I think it's a overall problem.

I see the emails come through especially with the newbies indicating 2 found logs. I in turn delete one of them and TRY to email them explaining what I did and why, but sometimes I don't get the email sent soon enough and it never fails you get a "Why did you delete my log email?" Well, if you had looked you would know it's still there.

Just seems like this would eliminate a huge portion of unintentional duplicate finds.

I know I've done it myself and I'm sure everyone has, but I would like to have a little pop up message for when I'm logging a duplicate find.

Such as, "You, have already found this cache, are you sure you want to continue?"

I own 50 caches so it's something I see often, especially with the smart phones users, but I know it's not limited to just them. I think it's a overall problem.

I see the emails come through especially with the newbies indicating 2 found logs. I in turn delete one of them and TRY to email them explaining what I did and why, but sometimes I don't get the email sent soon enough and it never fails you get a "Why did you delete my log email?" Well, if you had looked you would know it's still there.

Just seems like this would eliminate a huge portion of unintentional duplicate finds.

This is a great idea. The only issue I see with this idea is that it could be very annoying for those who live in areas where temp caches at events are logged by relog going the event. Not looking to start a discussion on this practice, just saying it could be an issue.

Smart idea.

We've had a few times where we "found" a cache found months or years earlier, but noticed the "you logged this as found on..." tab to the right of the cache page, saving us the error.

We've all seen doubles, seems to be more an issue with phone logs, and many of us know of finders with thousands of finds, with hundreds off "distinct".

I'd like to see your idea go a step further, where the system would simply not allow you to claim a find with the same GC# a second time.

I in turn delete one of them and TRY to email them explaining what I did and why, but sometimes I don't get the email sent soon enough and it never fails you get a "Why did you delete my log email?"

Why don't you write first, and find out their intentions, before deleting anything? You'd have the same issue if people ignore the "alert" and log anyway, or if their logging method bypasses "alerts".

It might be handy to have a link at the "Unique Finds" stat, that shows the duplicates, since the system obviously knows which ones are.

We have the Brass Cap Cache It's possible to legitimately log this cache hundreds of times. Now this seems to be the exception to the rule. But the main concern I have is newbies, who may visit a cache and log it as found then go back again-with a friend to show them what a geocache is or whatever other reason-and log it as found again. I believe it is up to the CO to delete the duplicate logs and this feature is not needed. Multiple found it logs-at least in my experience- are usually intentional-such as the situation above are more common then accidental duplicate logs.

This is a great idea. The only issue I see with this idea is that it could be very annoying for those who live in areas where temp caches at events are logged by relog going the event. Not looking to start a discussion on this practice, just saying it could be an issue.
The system could be designed to warn the user when they post a second log, but not when they post more than that. That way, those who don't want to accidentally log a cache twice will get the warning, and those who want to count temp caches at events (or multiple finds of grandfathered traveling caches, or multiple finds of whatever other exceptions there are) will need to click through only one warning.

Multiple found it logs-at least in my experience- are usually intentional-such as the situation above are more common then accidental duplicate logs.

My experience has shown me the exact opposite: duplicate logs are always accidental, with the very rare exception.

I'm totally for this idea, and I like niraD's suggestion of only showing the warning if exactly one find has been logged. That should appease the regions of cachers that log multiple times for temp event caches, but still head off the more widespread accidental-duplicate.

And while they're adding this warning, perhaps they could add a warning for cache owners who log their own cache. I accidentally posted Find logs to my first cache several times, when I intended to post Notes or Owner Maintenance logs. I don't do it as often now because I use field notes, so selecting Find when posting an online log is no longer a reflex. But it would have been a useful warning before I started using field notes.

We have the Brass Cap Cache It's possible to legitimately log this cache hundreds of times. Now this seems to be the exception to the rule. But the main concern I have is newbies, who may visit a cache and log it as found then go back again-with a friend to show them what a geocache is or whatever other reason-and log it as found again. I believe it is up to the CO to delete the duplicate logs and this feature is not needed. Multiple found it logs-at least in my experience- are usually intentional-such as the situation above are more common then accidental duplicate logs.

I'm really glad that someone mentioned this one.

Rather than go off-topic though, I'll post later on one of the "bring back virtual" threads for discussion.

In my experience, the multiple logs have mostly been by mistake, and by smartphone users...heck, I've done it myself!

So will the pop-up window be displayed in the app? Probably not.

As for people logging multiple finds for temp caches at an event, they should need to click through an increasing number of dialog boxes for every time they log it again:

2nd log:

Are you sure?

3rd log adds:

Are you really sure?

4th log adds:

Are you really, really sure?

5th log adds:

I wouldn't do this.

6th log adds:

Something is not really right about this.

7th log adds:

Does your Mom know you are doing this?

etc.

In my experience, the multiple logs have mostly been by mistake, and by smartphone users...heck, I've done it myself!

So will the pop-up window be displayed in the app? Probably not.

As for people logging multiple finds for temp caches at an event, they should need to click through an increasing number of dialog boxes for every time they log it again:

2nd log:

Are you sure?

3rd log adds:

Are you really sure?

4th log adds:

Are you really, really sure?

5th log adds:

I wouldn't do this.

6th log adds:

Something is not really right about this.

7th log adds:

Does your Mom know you are doing this?

etc.

I personally don't care if some logs attended 100 time to keep track of temporary caches, yet I've suggested the same thing before because I believe there is a problem is with people accidentally entering multiple logs or how don't know that the general practice is to log only one find so they use the default find log for everything. The warning lets people decide if they want to keep the log type or change it.

My guess is that the Geocaching Live API would not give this warning. It would likely continue to work as it does today in order not to break existing applications. That being the case, people who need to log one cache or event a hundred times could do this by a smartphone app or with a GSAK macro.

I've seen a cache where one particular cacher regularly stopped by to drop off a TB and logged it as Found each time.

I don't see it as the responsibility of the CO to check them all. If someone is obviously logging the same cache multiple times that's one thing but it's unrealistic to expect the CO to check that each finder has never found it before.

Yes, but a GOOD issue. I would say it should be made impossible to double log any cache. I know it used to be common to have multiple logs on recurring monthly event caches, but it is easy to archive the old and submit a new cache page each month.

I in turn delete one of them and TRY to email them explaining what I did and why, but sometimes I don't get the email sent soon enough and it never fails you get a "Why did you delete my log email?"

Why don't you write first, and find out their intentions, before deleting anything? You'd have the same issue if people ignore the "alert" and log anyway, or if their logging method bypasses "alerts".

It might be handy to have a link at the "Unique Finds" stat, that shows the duplicates, since the system obviously knows which ones are.

This!

I have never had to delete someone's duplicate log. I just wait a few days to see if they figure it out and if they don't, I email them and let them know. I'm not a big fan of deleting logs. Out of over 7300 logs posted to my caches, I have only found it necessary to delete 1.

I do agree that something that would help prevent this would be beneficial.