Pocket Query attribute

Condorito

Hi,

I think there should be another checkbox in the section of the PQ's where it says that (and) or whatever it says.

There should be one that says Are a unique D/T combination.

It would find filter out caches that have D/T combinations that you already have. It would aid in filling your matrix...

Just a suggestion. Any thoughts?

The pocket query generator and interface is due for a major overhaul. I don't know where that project stands on the priority list, or whether your suggestion would be part of the redesign.

The historic answer has always been that detailed queries like "D/T combos I haven't yet found" are best done offline using a tool like GSAK, because they are user-specific. Such a query is resource-intensive when performed against the entire Geocaching.com database. Additionally, a GSAK macro will identify caches in your database that have D/T ratings you haven't found yet.

As a current workaround, I trust you know that a query can be run for any specific D/T combination. If you haven't yet found a D4.5/T5 cache, build a query for all caches within your caching range that have that rating. You can preview the result and bookmark any applicable caches, without wasting a daily pocket query on a search that might only return five listings.

Edited by Keystone

The pocket query generator and interface is due for a major overhaul. I don't know where that project stands on the priority list, or whether your suggestion would be part of the redesign.

The historic answer has always been that detailed queries like "D/T combos I haven't yet found" are best done offline using a tool like GSAK, because they are user-specific. Such a query is resource-intensive when performed against the entire Geocaching.com database. Additionally, a GSAK macro will identify caches in your database that have D/T ratings you haven't found yet.

As a current workaround, I trust you know that a query can be run for any specific D/T combination. If you haven't yet found a D4.5/T5 cache, build a query for all caches within your caching range that have that rating. You can preview the result and bookmark any applicable caches, without wasting a daily pocket query on a search that might only return five listings.

Thanks for the response. I have just been to Melbourne(Aus) and have been using that technique (PQ for each D/T rating) and it just takes so long, so i thought it would be easier if it returns results for all unfound D/T ratings...

Thanks

Ideally, the new PQ interface will have an advanced mode where you could enter in pseudo-SQL statements much like the WHERE window in a GSAK macro, like this:

Difficulty = 1 AND Terrain = 3.5
OR
Difficulty = 1 AND Terrain > 4.0
OR
Difficulty = 1.5 AND Terrain > 3.5 

If that's too much, then a semi-advanced mode might work where you have the checkbox selection interface now, but the ability to add multiple instances of them.

Ideally, the new PQ interface will have an advanced mode where you could enter in pseudo-SQL statements much like the WHERE window in a GSAK macro, like this:

Difficulty = 1 AND Terrain = 3.5
OR
Difficulty = 1 AND Terrain > 4.0
OR
Difficulty = 1.5 AND Terrain > 3.5 

If that's too much, then a semi-advanced mode might work where you have the checkbox selection interface now, but the ability to add multiple instances of them.

That would be great...