Geocaching.com site update February 5th 2013

Read the last update's Release Notes

Release Notes

A helpful arrow joins your site navigation, the number of bookmarks for each account is more than doubled and three languages see major updates. It's all in the latest update from Geocaching.

• An arrow now appears when you scroll down on cache pages that will quickly navigate you back to the top of the page
  • The number of bookmark lists for each account expands from 40 to 100
  • Catalan, Polish and Norwegian all receive major updates
  • The maps on print-friendly versions of geocache pages now show additional waypoints
  • A user is now automatically logged in when validating their account
  • Bug fix: The "View Log" and "Print Picture" links on an image viewed in the cache page gallery now work again

A couple of additional items:

• Leaflet maps have been updated to version 0.50 throughout the site with the exception of the /map page (this work will come in a later release)
    • The /account/ManageLocations.aspx page has been updated to use Leaflet rather than Google, and in the process the geocoding has changed so that the marker no longer "snaps" to a nearby road when a user enters precise home coordinates

[*]We are dropping support for IE7; the site will still work with this browser, but we will no longer tweak page layouts and the like to look "pretty" with IE7

Don't know if anybody else is having this problem, but the overview map on print-friendly pages is not coming up at all.

Same here. The Overview Map at the bottom of the print-friendly page isn't showing in either Firefox 18.0.1 (my default browser) or Internet Explorer 9. I'm running Windows 7 Home Premium SP1, 64-bit.

--Larry

Don't know if anybody else is having this problem, but the overview map on print-friendly pages is not coming up at all.

Same here. The Overview Map at the bottom of the print-friendly page isn't showing in either Firefox 18.0.1 (my default browser) or Internet Explorer 9. I'm running Windows 7 Home Premium SP1, 64-bit.

--Larry

Nor in latest Chrome. Same Windows 7.

--Larry

Not there in older Firefox and XP either.

--Larry

Not there in older Firefox and XP either.

There was a small JavaScript error - it has been fixed. :)

The "View Log" link on an image viewed in the trackable page gallery do not work / is missing. Also in gallery of a profile, is the link on trackable photos not there.

I like the new "arrow" to go back on top! Saves a lot of time and conserves my mouse ;)

kind reagrds from Austria

Edited by WantedDeadOrAlive

I do not see that anyone is having this issue, but since the update last week I have had the following bright yellow banner at the top of every GC.com webpage

Groundspeak is phasing out support for older browsers. Visit the Help Center for more information

I am running IE 9.0.12 which is I believe is the latest and greatest MS browser, and would like to get rid of the banner since it is not applicable...Any thoughts

Edited by ritell
I am running IE 9.0.12 which is I believe is the latest and greatest MS browser, and would like to get rid of the banner since it is not applicable...Any thoughts

I have IE 9.0.8112 and I don't see the banner. Perhaps there is something about your configuration that makes IE run in compatibility mode? :unsure:

I am just wondering that since I am a paying member of Geocaching I thought I had use of Google maps for the features of geocaching. I thought this would include the Manage location map, which also has seemed to lose the whole coordinate function and is now just 2 points instead of the three. Also the map features on the geocache page, each of the maps aren't google maps either.

I thought with premium membership you had use of google maps in these features as well

I do not see that anyone is having this issue, but since the update last week I have had the following bright yellow banner at the top of every GC.com webpage

Groundspeak is phasing out support for older browsers. Visit the Help Center for more information

Not sure what changed but banner is now gone, thanks

I am just wondering that since I am a paying member of Geocaching I thought I had use of Google maps for the features of geocaching. I thought this would include the Manage location map, which also has seemed to lose the whole coordinate function and is now just 2 points instead of the three. Also the map features on the geocache page, each of the maps aren't google maps either.

I thought with premium membership you had use of google maps in these features as well

I'm not sure if that is advertised anywhere. If so, perhaps you can point it out? In that past, Google maps was not a premium feature. It was simply what the web site used until Google started charging them for the usage. All of the maps were changed, and later the Google maps were brought back for premium members for the large geocaching map. When they were brought back, it was specifically stated that the two maps on the individual cache pages would not use Goggle maps. I don't think that anyone really even thought about the location map until last Tuesday's update.

• An arrow now appears when you scroll down on cache pages that will quickly navigate you back to the top of the page

I don't need this but I guess it'a nice feature for others.

What I would love to see is a arrow down (=all logs on one page)

Sometimes I like to look for logs at certain periods within a year.