Need help for a Letterbox puzzle

Team OPJim

I've planted a number of letterbox hybrids recently. I would like to hide a letterbox that requires finders to locate some of these letterboxes, then using the stamp image in these caches determine what the final coordinates are to my new letterbox. I would have a total of 5 other finds required. The "posted coordinates" I will use will have the first 5 digits for both latitude and longitude, so it would really be the last three coordinates (those after the decimal) of each.

I have done something like this before, where a "multiple choice" test based on previous finds is the key to unravel the final coordinates. http://coord.info/GC44ZM7

For variety sake, I would like to do something different and unique. Anyone seen anything like this before?

I've planted a number of letterbox hybrids recently. I would like to hide a letterbox that requires finders to locate some of these letterboxes, then using the stamp image in these caches determine what the final coordinates are to my new letterbox. I would have a total of 5 other finds required. The "posted coordinates" I will use will have the first 5 digits for both latitude and longitude, so it would really be the last three coordinates (those after the decimal) of each.

I have done something like this before, where a "multiple choice" test based on previous finds is the key to unravel the final coordinates. http://coord.info/GC44ZM7

For variety sake, I would like to do something different and unique. Anyone seen anything like this before?

Nope. But that sounds pretty neat.

Since it will apparently not be at the listed co-ordinates, it should be listed as a ? (mystery), please.

The one you pointed out should be, too...but I guess it's too late now. :(

Maybe you could drill some small holes in the stamp to indicate the 'value' of that cache?

Have the stamp actually be a number?

Add a phrase from the twelve days of Christmas in the logbook to give the value (SEVEN lords a leaping)? Perhaps you could find a stamp with a 'lord a leaping' on it??

Since it will apparently not be at the listed co-ordinates, it should be listed as a ? (mystery), please.

Maybe you could drill some small holes in the stamp to indicate the 'value' of that cache?

Add a phrase from the twelve days of Christmas in the logbook to give the value (SEVEN lords a leaping)? Perhaps you could find a stamp with a 'lord a leaping' on it??

I communicated with the reviewer about letterboxes several months ago. A Letterbox can be a traditional cache, multicache, or a puzzle cache. It cannot be a challenge cache. I can provide examples of each in the Phoenix metro area if you are interested.

I communicated with the reviewer about letterboxes several months ago. A Letterbox can be a traditional cache, multicache, or a puzzle cache. It cannot be a challenge cache. I can provide examples of each in the Phoenix metro area if you are interested.

Just my personal request. :)

Yes, I have seen several 'letterbox-puzzles'. Nothing is more fun than going after a letterbox cache and realizing (at the last minute) that it is really a puzzle in disguise. :mad:

They are now on a special bookmark list. :P

Yes, I have seen several 'letterbox-puzzles'. Nothing is more fun than going after a letterbox cache and realizing (at the last minute) that it is really a puzzle in disguise. :mad:

Oh well. I can't seem to make everyone happy. If it is any consolation, I mention in the beginning text of the description of all of my caches that the cache is [multi][not at the posted location] etc so that even the briefest glance will make this apparent.

what about making all 4 images add up to one?

Can you be more specific, I'm not sure what you mean?

That the coords for the final (or something that gives you an idea of where the final is) would be partially contained in each of the 4 images - and when you have stamped all 4 images in your book you will get a "complete picture"

what about making all 4 images add up to one?

Can you be more specific, I'm not sure what you mean?

That the coords for the final (or something that gives you an idea of where the final is) would be partially contained in each of the 4 images - and when you have stamped all 4 images in your book you will get a "complete picture"

Wow, that is an intriguing idea! I'll have to mull it over.

You are sooooo right. I have found mostly letterbox hybrids that have a dollar store stamp in it that has nothing to do with the location or theme. I would love to see the LBH grandfathered because it is so misused. Instead GS should provide 2 attributes - custom-made stamp and store-bought stamp.

The whole point of a letterbox is the stamp. The stamp should be something unique that you collect in a letterbox journal as a keepsake. It started in Dartmoor England where stamps were custom made to fit the location.

Lbox.gif

Then letterboxing came to North America. Here most letterboxes contain hand carved stamps created by a letterboxer:

stamp5.gif

Edited by L0ne R

You are sooooo right. I have found mostly letterbox hybrids that have a dollar store stamp in it that has nothing to do with the location or theme. I would love to see the LBH grandfathered because it is so misused. Instead GS should provide 2 attributes - custom-made stamp and store-bought stamp.

The whole point of a letterbox is the stamp. The stamp should be something unique that you collect in a letterbox journal as a keepsake. It started in Dartmoor England where stamps were custom made to fit the location.

Lbox.gif

Then letterboxing came to North America. Here most letterboxes contain hand carved stamps created by a letterboxer:

stamp5.gif

I agree that many letterboxes that I have found in metro areas are nothing more than regular geocaches with a stamp added: they only have a single logbook, and often no ink pad. Education, rather than condemnation, is the best remedy for this. Even better, set a good example by showing people how it should be done.

I do not agree that LBH should be grandfathered, and I enjoy the variety of LBH cache types that can also be done, whether traditional, puzzles, multis, offsets (which is my mind is the purest form of letterbox hybrid, since it requires putting the GPS away and following directions and descriptions). I would never have even heard of letterboxing but for geocaching, and think that geocaching can infuse new interest into this English invention.

I began creating letterboxes based on those created by Viejo, who in my opinion did it correctly (unfortunately he has had to stop placing them in my area, and adopt them out as he is moving). He always used good, large containers (Generally ammocans). He placed the stamp, inkpad, and book for stamps in a separate bag apart from the geocaching logbook and swag. More importantly, his Letterbox hybrids are registered on letterboxing.org. In following his example, I have tried to have stamps that match the theme as much as possible. However, I have no artistic skills to carve my own stamps, so I buy them, usually from Etsy, Michaels, or a similar source. Occasionally, I simply cannot find the ideal match and have to do the best I can.

Having said all this, the point of my original post was NOT to discuss whether letterbox hybrids should exist, or how they should be done, but to ask a simple question and get feedback from fellow geocachers. I respectfully ask that we please return to the original topic. :D

How about doing something as simple as this: example: one stamp of an apple - a=1; a stamp of a goat - g=7 and so on to get the numbers you need for the final letterbox or it could be the number of letters in the word of the stamp picture. apple = 5, goat = 4. You would just want to be sure that the stamps would be ones that couldn't be called several different things by cachers which would be confusing.

Just to be fair...

And to return to the original topic...

I was considering this thread the other morning (I think it was Friday) and had the idea that you could use four (or more!) stamps that when stamped over each other with proper alignment would reveal something that would allow the finder to know where the bonus cache was located.

I guess that idea is out though, since you say you have no artistic talent. :lol:

I'd bet you COULD do it, if you could just give up having that mental block that you can't. B)

It's just a simple letterbox stamp, not the Mona Lisa. :P