Tips for puzzle caches?

I've been wanting to find a puzzle cache for a while now, but I can't seem to solve any of them..

Is there a method you use, or even another topic that could point me in the right direction? I'm not crazy good with puzzles, that's where my other half comes in, but I do like the challenge. I just feel like I keep missing some important step when solving the puzzle caches..

Here are some general puzzle tips (based in part on a puzzle-solving class event presented by The Rat a while ago):

Identify the theme. Check the cache title, the hint, the HTML source, the graphics (including names/URLs), any links (including URLs), whatever is at the posted coordinates, etc. If you can figure out the theme, then you should look for numbering systems that are associated with that theme (zip codes, athletes’ jersey numbers, episode numbers, product codes, etc.).

Around here, coordinates will have 15 digits, and will look like "N 37° xx.xxx W 122° xx.xxx". So when I'm solving a nearby puzzle, I look for a group of 15 things, and then I look for ways to get the digits 37xxxxx122xxxxx from them. In general, I look for ways to get the number 37 (or the digits 3 and 7) from something near the beginning of the puzzle, and the number 122 (or the digits 1, 2, and 2) from something near the middle of the puzzle. (Of course, you'll need to adjust this for the coordinates near you.)

Other useful resources include:

Puzzle Solving 101 Series (bookmark list)

Puzzle Shortcuts Series (bookmark list)

Solving Puzzle Caches (online article)

How Do I Solve All These $@! Puzzle Caches? (tutorial-style puzzle cache)

Puzzle FUNdamentals (archived event cache) and the Puzzle FUNdamentals resources on the GeocacheAlaska! education page

The GBA's Puzzle Cache FAQ (for puzzle designers, but useful for understanding how puzzle caches work)

If you’re interested in extremely challenging puzzles, then consider the online discussions of Venona’s ACTIVITIES in the GBA forums. The puzzles for this annual event are very challenging, intended to be solved by multiple people working together online. (You'll need to register on the GBA site to view these forum threads.)

Overview: Venona's 2011 ACTIVITIES

Overview: Venona's 2012 ACTIVITIES

(Actually, Venona's 2013 ACTIVITIES are in progress right now.)

I've been wanting to find a puzzle cache for a while now, but I can't seem to solve any of them..

Is there a method you use, or even another topic that could point me in the right direction? I'm not crazy good with puzzles, that's where my other half comes in, but I do like the challenge. I just feel like I keep missing some important step when solving the puzzle caches..

If you have a smart phone check out a free app called GeoCache Calculator, or GCC. The app provides you with numerous decription methods, everything from rot13 to a working Enigma simulator.

Ask for help from the CO if it's really not getting you anywhere.

After following the above suggestions (puzzle series are great!), I have found puzzles that really could only be found by using the online tool used to create the puzzle in the first place.. wiki page, etc.. You learn where these guys go to make their puzzles. That can knock a star off the diffculty.

Shaun

I have to say I've been extremely lucky with contacting the CO for puzzle caches (we seem to have almost 50% puzzle saturation in our area) I've contacted one particular CO multiple times on a wide variety of his puzzles and he's been extremely helpful to helping me (a newbie) with solving them - call it a push in the right direction. Those I can solve without help are too far away and most that are close by are very hard for me to solve (maybe I think on a very different plane than others)

I've learned so much doing puzzles: Digital roots, alphasums, Reverse digital root, base numbers, stuff about planes, cars, people, places, cities and the list goes on forever.

The CO told me not to give up and I've been lucky that he still helps me after all my emails to him - I figure that I owe him a coffee at least...

Don't give up! They are doable