87 finds in a day..was it worth it?

I did one of those 20 mile roads with caches every .2 mile or so. They were all real easy, longest look was 3 min or so. Sitting here half worn out I think I'd rather go after hard ones from now on. Nothing against getting numbers, it just got pretty boring and a lot more work than I imagined.

Think Ill sort by difficulty for awhile, but there are several more strings close by tempting me from the map.....

I did one of those 20 mile roads with caches every .2 mile or so. They were all real easy, longest look was 3 min or so. Sitting here half worn out I think I'd rather go after hard ones from now on. Nothing against getting numbers, it just got pretty boring and a lot more work than I imagined.

Think Ill sort by difficulty for awhile, but there are several more strings close by tempting me from the map.....

It may have been "boring" to you but when I was working on a challenge to get 100 caches in a day it was an adventure to me.

Seriously, it depends on your preference. Someone might say climbing a 10 mile trail up a mountain just for one smiley was boring and a lot of work.

I did what I guess I'd call a power trail: thirty-odd caches on a bike trail...I did go by bike, and each cache was a different kind of hide, there were different kinds of containers, different D ratings, even a couple harder T ratings. Some had quite a few DNFs, and I DNFd about six. I was stoked to have 26 finds in a day! I thought power trails seemed an okay idea, but the more people describe their own experiences...

Like any aspect of geocaching...if you have fun--great. If you dislike something, ignore it.

I've taken on two power trails. The first was a short one, got 35. The second was was long, but I quit after 42. They both happened to be not too far off the interstate while I was travelling, so I thought what the heck. Not saying I won't again, but not my most enjoyable caching adventures. When I have a full day to cache, I would much rather do some hiking and pick up what I can while on foot. I find these much more enjoyable. I guess it comes down to what strikes you at the time. Not much different than LPC, in my opinion. When I need my cache fix, I'll lift a skirt, but again, given a day to devote to caching, I'm in the woods.

My .02

Edited by rdtorres3

Want to know what I've noticed? People tend to get burned out at a specific set numbers of found-its. Some took 7 years to get there, some took 2 years. I think you have a better odds for staying in the game using the slower approach.

bd

Edited by BlueDeuce

I did part of a geo-art today--53 total finds. Very repetitious, but it was all off-road in my Jeep, so that made it interesting. That's the nice thing about the high desert.

we did the jet less than 2 weeks ago in a rented jeep and had a blast off-roading.

I did 101 caches in a day in White Rock BC a few years back, that was NOT a power trail, probably did not find any of the same CO caches more than 2-3x tops. Back then, 100 a day meant something different. Now 100 would be like, is that all?

I would not do it again. Too long without a break. I prefer to leave some time to enjoy the hike or caches and not have to worry about time pressing against you or make it feel like work.

Edited by lamoracke

I did 101 caches in a day in White Rock BC a few years back, that was NOT a power trail, probably did not find any of the same CO caches more than 2-3x tops. Back then, 100 a day meant something different. Now 100 would be like, is that all?

I would not do it again. Too long without a break. I prefer to leave some time to enjoy the hike or caches and not have to worry about time pressing against you or make it feel like work.

Awesome place.

520c3252-2be6-44bb-8866-57a651cecf5b.jpg

I like to cache my age on my birthday. Got carried away one uyear and doubled it!!!

Such a cool idea!

I did my first power trail today. Haven't logged it yet. It was along the ICC bike trail in MD. I think there was one magnetic nano, no key holders, no film cans. Nearly every hide was different. Several caches were smalls. Only one or two was wet. Some were very tricky!. Someone spent a lot of time. We're wiped from walking fourteen miles but it was fun!

Seriously, it depends on your preference. Someone might say climbing a 10 mile trail up a mountain just for one smiley was boring and a lot of work.

I did what I guess I'd call a power trail: thirty-odd caches on a bike trail...I did go by bike, and each cache was a different kind of hide, there were different kinds of containers, different D ratings, even a couple harder T ratings. Some had quite a few DNFs, and I DNFd about six. I was stoked to have 26 finds in a day! I thought power trails seemed an okay idea, but the more people describe their own experiences...

Like any aspect of geocaching...if you have fun--great. If you dislike something, ignore it.

How about an 11 mile hike with 35 creek crossings and 70+ caches, mixed sizes, containers and hide style? Bring along a dozen geo-friends and you can have the best of both worlds.

I have challenged myself to try and find as many caches in a day as I could and had a great deal of fun doing so. That day was 18 caches and I covered several hundred miles of driving to do it. It's all a matter of perspective. ;)

We now have an actual "power trail" in Alaska that went in last summer. I plan to tackle it this summer, probably over 2 days and I'll bring a tent. If I were off for the summer solstice, I'd hit that trail and attend the 3 events being hosted along the route...

http://coord.info/GC45CDX

Sounds like a lot of fun to me. Over 120 caches on the power trail, plus many others nearby, plus 3 events. All out in the wilderness with the bears and skeeters. What could be better?

Oh yeah, check the MAP!

And quite frankly, when I do get up there, I'll be keeping a notebook and taking lots of photos. I guarantee that I will have a unique log entry for every cache I find and many of them will have pictures. If you're going to do it, do it right.

:anibad:

Edited by SSO JOAT

Ok, that Alaska one sounds up my alley. B)

I've only ever done power trails by bicycle since I don't have a car for the other variety (plus power trails are WAY less common in Europe anyway). More fun on a bicycle because the distances take a little longer in my opinion! But the most I've ever gotten in a day was 24- I like cycling and caching, but frankly after around 20 I get kinda bored of the whole thing.

I like to cache my age on my birthday. Got carried away one uyear and doubled it!!!

Such a cool idea!

I did my first power trail today. Haven't logged it yet. It was along the ICC bike trail in MD. I think there was one magnetic nano, no key holders, no film cans. Nearly every hide was different. Several caches were smalls. Only one or two was wet. Some were very tricky!. Someone spent a lot of time. We're wiped from walking fourteen miles but it was fun!

14 mile hike! Now that's a real power trail!

That it does it gets boring and when you get to about five and the logs all wet :( and there all almost like that

I did one power trail. It was worth it, as an experience.

I enjoyed the day with Hubby and a friend. We had a great time.

Would I want to do power trails repeatedly? No.

But it was worth it that once.

I'll agree with you. We did 52 caches one day. A power trail of sorts. All along one road. Hides varies. Containers varied. Plus a few other caches in the area. We didn't get up early, and we made it back for dinner at 6 PM. Four of us. Friend, sister and brother. We had a great time. If we get together again, we might try for 53. Not something I would do very often. Every three or four years? Maybe.

Tried one once that was via the car and we quit after 7 or so. It was very dull to us.

However, near us there's a 6 mile walk down Patriot's Path in NJ that we did where we got 25 in one day. That was much more fun even though the hides were all very similar.

I think it's the whole being in the car thing for me. Not into that at all. Would rather go for a walk.

I've been on a couple of day-long power runs with a friend. One yielded 175 finds. The other a few less. There were times we were jettin' from cache-to-cache, but we also stopped for grub, checked out some cool cemeteries, stopped to talk to some horses, and watched some wildlife. The vast majority of the caches we found were, shall we say, uninspiring and repetitive. There were a few gems here and there. An occasional virtual, multi, or something else not part of series. So generally the hunts themselves were pretty mundane. The fun of it was getting out with my friend for some guy time without the jobs, wives, and kids and just having a great day together.

I think I need to give him a call...... :laughing:

It all depends on where you are caching, what the density is like, and how often you have cached the area. I just returned from Geowoodstock XI in Lakeland FL which was virgin territory for us, and pretty cache dense.

We planned for a different type of geocaching experience each day to keep it fresh. On arrival day we drove an 80 mile route focusing on caches with high favorite points NW of Tampa. We only found 60, and drove past hundreds to get to the targeted ones which totaled almost 1500 favorite points. The Cache Medics specialize in very interesting and creative containers/hosts. After the first few, the anticipation grew as we got close and wondered 'what will we find here?' We also stopped for a 2 hour dinner to visit with the 86 year old uncle of one of my companions. They hadn't seen each other in years.

The next day we did some power trail caching finding about 175 that were along rural highways in central FL. The scenery was peaceful, lots of cows and horses. The traffic was light. We had plenty of snacks and cold drinks and XM radio in the rental. We went to an event, met some friends, and went out to dinner in town.

Friday we explored Plant City, found about 50-60 scattered around parks, historic areas, peaceful cemeteries, and saw what the town had to offer. We had a great BBQ lunch at a place that's been in business for 60 years. and then went to the Friday night event. Met more friends and went out for dinner again, then a few caches after dinner.

Saturday we found about 40 on a very quiet rural road on the way to the main event, spent most of the day socializing at GW, wandered around the property finding 10-12 more with friends, and then cached our way to dinner with them.

Sunday we planned a route in town, figuring the traffic would be lighter, and the parking easier. We explored some lakeside trails, some PnG's some local history including a college campus with many buildings designed by Frank Lloyd Wright, and a beautiful garden at one of the lakes. We explored both sites for 5-10 minutes after doing the cache, just enjoying the scenery.

My point is that you can have a lot of FUN while finding lots of caches in a day. You can still stop to smell the flowers and mountain or salt air, enjoy a good meal, and most importantly spend time with good friends.

It doesn't have to be all one side or the other when it comes to finding lots of caches, or only a few. Do what makes you happy, and if you are not having FUN, you only have yourself to blame and are doing it wrong.

Edited by wimseyguy

I live just a few miles from the route 66 PT and the Yermo PT and the A, B C PT. I did 62 of the rte 66 trail in one day and was bored to death. Did a 1/2 dozen of the A,B,C PT and stopped as it was getting borring. Been doing the Yermo PT 2 or 3 at a time and am enjoying it. So for me, I will continue to do PTs a few at a time when I feel the urge to find a cache but don't want to drive 20+ miles to find a "regular cache" do so.

The best PT I've done was one that was 10 caches long and covered about 2 miles of hiking.

Edited by captnemo

It all depends on where you are caching, what the density is like, and how often you have cached the area. I just returned from Geowoodstock XI in Lakeland FL which was virgin territory for us, and pretty cache dense.

We planned for a different type of geocaching experience each day to keep it fresh. On arrival day we drove an 80 mile route focusing on caches with high favorite points NW of Tampa. We only found 60, and drove past hundreds to get to the targeted ones which totaled almost 1500 favorite points. The Cache Medics specialize in very interesting and creative containers/hosts. After the first few, the anticipation grew as we got close and wondered 'what will we find here?' We also stopped for a 2 hour dinner to visit with the 86 year old uncle of one of my companions. They hadn't seen each other in years.

The next day we did some power trail caching finding about 175 that were along rural highways in central FL. The scenery was peaceful, lots of cows and horses. The traffic was light. We had plenty of snacks and cold drinks and XM radio in the rental. We went to an event, met some friends, and went out to dinner in town.

Friday we explored Plant City, found about 50-60 scattered around parks, historic areas, peaceful cemeteries, and saw what the town had to offer. We had a great BBQ lunch at a place that's been in business for 60 years. and then went to the Friday night event. Met more friends and went out for dinner again, then a few caches after dinner.

Saturday we found about 40 on a very quiet rural road on the way to the main event, spent most of the day socializing at GW, wandered around the property finding 10-12 more with friends, and then cached our way to dinner with them.

Sunday we planned a route in town, figuring the traffic would be lighter, and the parking easier. We explored some lakeside trails, some PnG's some local history including a college campus with many buildings designed by Frank Lloyd Wright, and a beautiful garden at one of the lakes. We explored both sites for 5-10 minutes after doing the cache, just enjoying the scenery.

My point is that you can have a lot of FUN while finding lots of caches in a day. You can still stop to smell the flowers and mountain or salt air, enjoy a good meal, and most importantly spend time with good friends.

It doesn't have to be all one side or the other when it comes to finding lots of caches, or only a few. Do what makes you happy, and if you are not having FUN, you only have yourself to blame and are doing it wrong.

I'm in Lakeland...there are lots of PT for sure

Yes, the Lakeland area does have its fair share of power trail caches. But as I have already posted, you also have plenty of other caches to enjoy, and it's pretty easy to ignore those PT ones if you want to. I don't know you nor what you like other than a dislike for PT's, even if you did a few more yesterday according to your logs. I'd suggest doing Hollis Gardens, the virt on the Florida Southern Campus, The View, and Half Mast. Wander around the corner to the Legend of Blinky after enjoying a nice meal at Harry's. When you grow tired of Lakeland, wander a few miles east to Plant City, or make a day trip over to Tampa. Or spend the day hiking/biking the trails at the Circle Bar B Reserve, the venue of Geowoodstock XI. It's a shame you weren't able to attend the event last week, and meet up with hundreds of other cachers to share stories with. It's not often that a mega event comes to one's hometown.

How about an 11 mile hike with 35 creek crossings and 70+ caches, mixed sizes, containers and hide style? Bring along a dozen geo-friends and you can have the best of both worlds.

That sounds like fun! Where can I find this place?

That sounds like fun! Where can I find this place?

The Four Cache Loop is a trail that is close to 11 miles in length. It is a blast to do with a group. Only thing is, it's only one cache, a multi with four stages. I've hiked it 4 or 5 times (only claimed one find of course) so i guess you could say that it's one of my favorites! :D

Yes, the Lakeland area does have its fair share of power trail caches. But as I have already posted, you also have plenty of other caches to enjoy, and it's pretty easy to ignore those PT ones if you want to. I don't know you nor what you like other than a dislike for PT's, even if you did a few more yesterday according to your logs. I'd suggest doing Hollis Gardens, the virt on the Florida Southern Campus, The View, and Half Mast. Wander around the corner to the Legend of Blinky after enjoying a nice meal at Harry's. When you grow tired of Lakeland, wander a few miles east to Plant City, or make a day trip over to Tampa. Or spend the day hiking/biking the trails at the Circle Bar B Reserve, the venue of Geowoodstock XI. It's a shame you weren't able to attend the event last week, and meet up with hundreds of other cachers to share stories with. It's not often that a mega event comes to one's hometown.

I didn't see the event till a couple days before, in hindsight I wished I had gone. Saw several folks out CG during the day going or coming from the event.

I did do a small string that was very neat. Had very different hides, containers and such. There is another PT called scientific method, sounds like it is pretty good.

I am going today to downtown Lakeland to and around the places you mentioned.

Glad you enjoyed the area.........