4.5lb Walleye GCDFB

Thanks for posting the audio link.

This link will take you to the Show Notes page where you can find video links, see photos and more.

http://j.mp/11s1TUG

Thank you Team Podcacher for sharing this story with the world. Congratulations are in order for such an extreme geocache find and for sharing the adventure! Cache on! :rolleyes:

Edited by Team Geo-Rangers

My route to the cache site is a little different than Stormgren's. I fly to Fort Albany and take a freighter canoe from the community up the Albany River directly to the site (4hrs +-).

You have something like this? James Bay Freighter

Yes. But not so full.

Of course not. :lol: Did you ever venture further upstream than the area of 4.5lb Walleye? Obviously you can carry gas cans in that canoe, but there comes a point where it would be an overnite trip.

Just got back from the area a few days ago. Obviously went back to 4.5 then about 20km furhter upstream. Considered going up to Ghost River but decided it was a bit too far. Plus, the fishing was good where we were. Stayed 2 nights on the river, just W of 4.5.

I was traveling to Fort Albany a few times per year and thought it might be a good place to hide a cache

You were right! :)

thinking only a few people would find it each year

You were wrong! :)

I am friends with a few local folks and would go fishing up river every once in awhile, and took one of those opportunities to place the cache. We were close to the site of the cache one day fishing when my friends son caught a 4 1/2 lb walleye. We had a shore lunch at the site and placed the cache nearby.

So that's the story behind the name of the cache and its placement. Thanks for sharing!

Why the Mark Osborne card? Just happened to have it with you? Or are you a big Mark Osborne fan? Or was Mark Osborne fishing with you the day you placed the cache? :laughing:

By the way, 3 of the 4 NHL teams that Mark Osborne played for during his career made it to the NHL playoffs this year.

Having a hard time believing that "poetic" DNF that was just posted for so many reasons. If a fake which I would put 2000:1 odds on, hope it gets deleted soon too.

I'm sure CacheDrone will get around to deleting it, as it's after his warning, and 2 or 3 congratulatory notes were posted yesterday, and deleted. By the way, CacheDrone, where is the Ghost River Geocache placed by Stormgren-X? I hope you guys didn't reject it due to not having a maintenance plan. :P

Having a hard time believing that "poetic" DNF that was just posted for so many reasons. If a fake which I would put 2000:1 odds on, hope it gets deleted soon too.

I'm sure CacheDrone will get around to deleting it, as it's after his warning, and 2 or 3 congratulatory notes were posted yesterday, and deleted. By the way, CacheDrone, where is the Ghost River Geocache placed by Stormgren-X? I hope you guys didn't reject it due to not having a maintenance plan. :P

If you have to ask where a cache is, it's too far away for you to get it! :P

I'm sure CacheDrone will get around to deleting it, as it's after his warning, and 2 or 3 congratulatory notes were posted yesterday, and deleted.

Yup, just did. i won't have to be deleting subsequent bogus or off-topic logs. Now those wanting to enjoy the valid Found It log will not have to scroll past commentary unrelated to making an effort to actually find the cache.

CacheDrone, where is the Ghost River Geocache placed by Stormgren-X? I hope you guys didn't reject it due to not having a maintenance plan. :P

Any listing by Stormgren-X will be handled under the current guidelines. We strive for consistency when reviewing in Ontario that everyone can count on. We're awesome like that [:D]

:cool: CD

Now those wanting to enjoy the valid Found It log will not have to scroll past commentary unrelated to making an effort to actually find the cache.

Thanks for your efforts on that front, CacheDrone!

It's a shame the reviewer for GC46N4E hasn't done the same. I'm sure they're just busy with their reviewing.

Woohoo :D Congratulations Stormgren-X... omigosh your smile tells it all - it's the best !! :)

living the trip with you with my vivid imagination while watching progress on your SPOT,

the anticipation and now sharing in the telling of the tale...

thank you, thank you ever so much for having the foresight to set up this forum thread...i'm eternally grateful for

you keeping all of us "4.5 Walleye armchair cachers" in the loop for this bit of geo-trail history !!

you have given us the best new fodder for meet n greets, mega bash encounters, etc....your trip will now be the comparitive

one in conversations "Yeah, well down my way, we have this cache that ___ ____ _____" or how about "so-and-so geocacher

got the second oldest placed after the autumnal equinox with a regular ammo can traditional"...

those tales will be coming out of the woods, but i digress...once again, thank you for sharing your geo-adventure, i had FUN B)

Hello All,

I had a great time on the trip, finding the geocache and then be able to tell the story, answer questions and documenting the incredible trip. I had emails from people worldwide and have tried to answer them all! If I missed you... thank you for the email. I was most touched by people commenting that they were inspired by the trip, and want to challenge themselves, even if it is just a little bit more.

Just wanted to say I was amazed at the response and interest from the great Geocaching Community that you all have built and contributed to in your own ways.

Get out there, enjoy yourselves, do a little CITO, get to an event, meet people and share stories. That's what it is all about!

What's next on the list? I've been inspired by you all as well! Kougarok GC1259? Seems like a few have been to GZ and no finds, may be slated for archive...

Another remote cache placed in 2002 is on my radar... No one has been to GZ, but it is a tough one to get to... I have enough airmiles to get to launching pad, and it is a canoe adventure, but do need to fly in and out. Maybe next year!

All the best to you all!

Chris Wereley (aka Stormgren-X)

Congratulations!

How did you get the canoe out, did you attach it to the plane?

Did someone drop you at the start point so you didn't have to go fetch it later?

So where did you fly out to?

Binrat

I don't know how often Chris is going to check back, and I don't want to speak for him, but I will. This is because I just interviewed him for a Geocaching blog. :ph34r: This is a direct cut and paste from him about what they did with the canoe:

The plan from the start was to leave the canoe as it was an older one with many fiberglass patches. No problem giving it away, although we kept our paddles as a souvenir! We also gave away our unused food and ammunition. The cost of transporting the canoe was too great, and sometimes you need to wait until the cargo plane can take it, adding days to the trip.

Hello All,

I had a great time on the trip, finding the geocache and then be able to tell the story, answer questions and documenting the incredible trip. I had emails from people worldwide and have tried to answer them all! If I missed you... thank you for the email. I was most touched by people commenting that they were inspired by the trip, and want to challenge themselves, even if it is just a little bit more.

Just wanted to say I was amazed at the response and interest from the great Geocaching Community that you all have built and contributed to in your own ways.

Get out there, enjoy yourselves, do a little CITO, get to an event, meet people and share stories. That's what it is all about!

What's next on the list? I've been inspired by you all as well! Kougarok GC1259? Seems like a few have been to GZ and no finds, may be slated for archive...

Another remote cache placed in 2002 is on my radar... No one has been to GZ, but it is a tough one to get to... I have enough airmiles to get to launching pad, and it is a canoe adventure, but do need to fly in and out. Maybe next year!

All the best to you all!

I said it before, but it's worth repeating: Well done!

Two Epic Options for Cachers:

Here's an unfound 5/5 from 07-19-02: http://coord.info/GCG822 (?!)

I don't have the code, but there's another one on the west coast of Greenland (unfound) that would involve an epic journey of several days, and is very suitable for satellite tracking, etc.

Anyone going?!

{Link corrected}

Edited by wmpastor

Hello All,

All the best to you all!

I said it before, but it's worth repeating: Well done!

Two Epic Options for Cachers:

Here's an unfound 5/5 from 07-19-02: http://coord.info/GCG822 (?!)

I don't have the code, but there's another one on the west coast of Greenland (unfound) that would involve an epic journey of several days, and is very suitable for satellite tracking, etc.

Anyone going?!

{Link corrected}

I've always considered Rainbow thermal vents and the one on the ISS as novelty caches and essentially unrealistic for anyone to find them.

In any case, Conch Shell Horn is older (placed 7/2001) and would actually be feasible for someone to try and find it.

Well, Alaska's a bit far. (well, for me anyway)

I wonder what is the currently oldest unfound cache in the contiguous 48 states? Anybody know?

In the lower 48 of the U.S.? I'm gonna bet it's some impossible puzzle, or a bison tube tossed into a boulder field. :lol: I could be wrong though.

There are many bookmark lists on the 4.5lb Walleye cache page that list caches never found due to their remoteness. I'm not seeing anything in the lower 48. Some really interesting stuff out there though.

I wonder what is the currently oldest unfound cache in the contiguous 48 states? Anybody know?

In the lower 48 of the U.S.? I'm gonna bet it's some impossible puzzle, or a bison tube tossed into a boulder field. :lol: I could be wrong though.

There are many bookmark lists on the 4.5lb Walleye cache page that list caches never found due to their remoteness. I'm not seeing anything in the lower 48. Some really interesting stuff out there though.

Yeah, I guess everything unfound in the lower 48 is unfound for a reason, and it ain't because you gotta go 8 days in a canoe fighting off moose. :)

I was curious too, so just did some quick PQ searching.

The oldest unfound cache in the lower 48 is GCPVAM, a Traditional in Wyoming placed July 23, 2005. It's described as being an underwater cache, but the coordinates are right at the boat ramp and likely incorrect, so it may be nearly impossible to find.

The next oldest is GCTXGE in Rhode Island, but it really isn't a cache. It's simply a placeholder to tell everyone that the property where the icon is located is off-limits to caching.

Next is GCZ19X, a puzzle in Idaho placed October 23, 2006.

Those are the only unfound caches in the lower 48 hidden before 2007. There are 15 that were placed in 2007, 27 in 2008, 22 in 2009, 56 in 2010, 159 in 2011, and 435 in 2012. There are more than 1000 in 2013, but that isn't surprising).

Since I'm Canadian and 4.5lb Walleye is too, I just looked up the oldest unfound in Canada.

The oldest is GC1607, a Traditional in Alberta placed August 12, 2001. It appears quite a few people have gone for it, and there's at least one replacement cache up there.

The next oldest is GC989E, a Virtual in Saskatchewan placed July 17, 2002. I'm actually kind of surprised this one hasn't been found. There's a provincial highway that runs right next to the lake (albeit gravel, but it's a provincial highway, so it should be well-maintained), and then it should be just a couple of kilometres by boat. It's a benchmark you're looking for, so it won't have wandered off or anything. Other than being pretty far out of the way, it doesn't seem like it should be anywhere near as difficult as 4.5lb. If I had some more time, money, something more suitable than a VW Rabbit, and a boat, I'd be all over this one!

Note that while there are only 3 unfound caches in the lower 48 placed before 2007, there are 19 in Canada.

Note that while there are only 3 unfound caches in the lower 48 placed before 2007, there are 19 in Canada.

<offtopic>

...not including some that have been retracted without explanation. Such as the three I remember in the mountains around Grande Cache, AB. I had plans to go look for one of those, when POOF!

Not sure if those were pre-2007 though. Hard to go back and check.

</offtopic>

Being on my watchlist, some guy from Illinois posted an FTF log, but deleted it. I do have an excellent sense of humor, but that really wasn't funny, sorry to say.

Yeah, I saw that too. I guess there always has to be some knucklehead that feels they just have to waste the time of others. It's about as funny as that cacher that was going to bogus-log the ISS cache because they saw it pass overhead. <_<

Knucklehead from Illinois here. I had read this thread yesterday and thought it would be funny to post an FTF on the eve of Storm's quest. I quickly deleted the log and replaced it with a :-) note to demonstrate I was trying to be funny. Hope at least one person smiled. Good luck to Storm!

I see Tzinny has decided to be "funny" again and waste everyone's time, as well as Man of Steel using the cache as a conduit for some unintelligible rant. <_< Maybe the cache should be locked for a while.

Being on my watchlist, some guy from Illinois posted an FTF log, but deleted it. I do have an excellent sense of humor, but that really wasn't funny, sorry to say.

Yeah, I saw that too. I guess there always has to be some knucklehead that feels they just have to waste the time of others. It's about as funny as that cacher that was going to bogus-log the ISS cache because they saw it pass overhead. <_<

Knucklehead from Illinois here. I had read this thread yesterday and thought it would be funny to post an FTF on the eve of Storm's quest. I quickly deleted the log and replaced it with a :-) note to demonstrate I was trying to be funny. Hope at least one person smiled. Good luck to Storm!

I see Tzinny has decided to be "funny" again and waste everyone's time, as well as Man of Steel using the cache as a conduit for some unintelligible rant. <_< Maybe the cache should be locked for a while.

No... just give everybody that posted in there a time out. It will put the stop to it.

No... just give everybody that posted in there a time out. It will put the stop to it.

A 30 day ban on the website should do it. Of course I don't know if that would apply to the well known reviewer who posted a congratulatory note yesterday. I don't know if that's supposed to be reviewer humor though, probably is. :blink:

A 30 day ban on the website should do it. Of course I don't know if that would apply to the well known reviewer who posted a congratulatory note yesterday. I don't know if that's supposed to be reviewer humor though, probably is. :blink:

I think you did what I did when I first glanced at that watchlist notification. If you look more closely, the cacher was actually named "BlueRah", not "BlueRajah". It was just another run-of-the-mill cacher that posted the congratulatory note, so a month-long forced vacation from the site would work nicely.

Did he post the congratulations as a note or a "found it"?

BlueRah posted a note. The only cachers to bogus log "Found it"s since Stormgren-X announced his intention to go for it have been Tzinny and jml33480. There have been 11 notes (2 by Tzinny), and 4 DNFs (2 each by Tzinny and Man of Steel).

I am trying to determine the policy of not allowing any sort of note, DNF log, Congrats to the FTF or otherwise on the actual cache page for this one cache. There are many caches out there with numerous followers and I have not seen this sort of policy implemented. None of the notes or logs were inflammatory, rude, obnoxious or otherwise. Most were positive and friendly and within the spirit of the hobby. I have not received any answer or been referred to any policy that would support the actions. Just saying...

I am trying to determine the policy of not allowing any sort of note, DNF log, Congrats to the FTF or otherwise on the actual cache page for this one cache. There are many caches out there with numerous followers and I have not seen this sort of policy implemented. None of the notes or logs were inflammatory, rude, obnoxious or otherwise. Most were positive and friendly and within the spirit of the hobby. I have not received any answer or been referred to any policy that would support the actions. Just saying...

The policy, official or not, is that cache logs are not to be used as forum or the purposes of discussion.

While it's a nice gesture to congratulate the only person to ever find 4.5lb Walleye, the cache log isn't the best place to do it. Cache owners and watchers of the cache will see copies of logs via email notification and Stormgren-X may not even be watching the cache any more and there is no way to tell if he is unless he comes out and declares that he is watching it.

The policy, official or not, is that cache logs are not to be used as forum or the purposes of discussion.

While it's a nice gesture to congratulate the only person to ever find 4.5lb Walleye, the cache log isn't the best place to do it. Cache owners and watchers of the cache will see copies of logs via email notification and Stormgren-X may not even be watching the cache any more and there is no way to tell if he is unless he comes out and declares that he is watching it.

It seems like you're getting into a grey area here, who's to determine the difference between a legit note and a bogus note? Technically anyone could post a DNF log, I could be 5000 miles away and accurately say "I didn't find it." Then we have to establish a distance. Do you have to get within 10 inches to post a DNF? 10 feet? 10 miles?

Sure you don't want discussion, and you don't want people posting notes on logs all over the place. But there has to be clear delineation as to what is allowed and what isn't before you can punish someone, I'd think to be fair.

Edited by TopShelfRob

Maybe it's just me, but personally, I'd hate to see a lengthy, positive forum topic, with lots of followers, that up until recently had focused almost entirely on an incredible adventure (with a hint of possible other future adventures thrown in) devolve into bickering about what is, and what isn't, allowed to be posted into logs on cache pages.

I'm sure that GC.com, just like life itself, has some unwritten rules.

Do they all have to be spelled out?

What is the unwritten policy?

"Don't clutter up the cache page with unnecessary logs"? Seems pretty common sense to me.

The 2,000,000th cache, which you mentioned in one of your deleted logs, is a case-in-point. As an exercise, I'd like you to locate the "Found it" logs of the first, second, and third finders in 10 seconds or less. Can't do it, can you? It would actually take quite a bit longer to find them in all that mess. For nearly any other cache, you could do it with time to spare. Here, you can try the same exercise on my flagship cache that has 33 more finds than Overwatch #1.

The logbook, of which an electronic version is displayed at the bottom of each cache listing, is meant to record the history of a cache. Future seekers may want to read past logs to learn critical information or just see what previous finders experienced. Past finders or the cache owner may want to read about the experiences of others. When the 42 "Found it" logs are buried in amongst 1790 notes, the log becomes completely useless. While all that mess was piling up, I begged and pleaded in these forums for someone to step in and clean it up, but that has never happened, leaving us with the mess that is the log of Overwatch #1. And I haven't even gotten into the matter of the thousands of useless emails sent to both the cache owner and any watchers.

I give huge thanks to CacheDrone and CacheShadow for their efforts in preventing such a mess with 4.5lb Walleye. I have no doubt that if they hadn't kept up their efforts, we'd have a mess on our hands similar to Overwatch #1 (while probably not quite as extensive, certainly still a mess).

Maybe it's just me, but personally, I'd hate to see a lengthy, positive forum topic, with lots of followers, that up until recently had focused almost entirely on an incredible adventure (with a hint of possible other future adventures thrown in) devolve into bickering about what is, and what isn't, allowed to be posted into logs on cache pages.

Agreed, but it's better here than on the cache listing.

Me too. I would, however like to state that CacheDrone Rocks. :ph34r:

What is the unwritten policy?

The logbook, of which an electronic version is displayed at the bottom of each cache listing, is meant to record the history of a cache. experienced. Past finders or the cache owner may want to read about the experiences of others.

Since this cache has one find in over 10 years, I don't think there will be many future seekers and, if there are, I doubt they will rely on the single past log to assist them in their hunt.No past finders so that is not a concern...

OK, it's obvious someone needs to start a separate topic on this issue, and not "ruin" this thread.

I cannot be the one to do it though, because of my bias against the people who post these notes. You probably wouldn't want "idiots", or "asshats" in the new thread title. :anicute:

OK, it's obvious someone needs to start a separate topic on this issue, and not "ruin" this thread.

I cannot be the one to do it though, because of my bias against the people who post these notes. You probably wouldn't want "idiots", or "asshats" in the new thread title. :anicute:

I wouldn't mind . ;)

It seems clear that if there is a "famous" cache generating a lot of interest, general discussion related to the cache should go into a forum thread. Anything related to actually seeking out the cache can go on the cache listing page. That seems to be the well-established practice.

Way back in post #498, amongst other things, I responded to Stormgren's comment about getting out and doing something more challenging than normal for our own adventure. At that time, I had only got part way up a local mountain for an unfound cache...GC30N8C Times Up! Enjoy ... Well, it took me three trips this year, two were solo, but it is DONE. Just a bit under two years since published. I'm getting a bit out of shape these days, but the cache was there, mostly intact but opened and some water. The hanger had separated and it was on the ground. The log was dry and pristine. Probably the FTF I truly earned, and it will be remembered by me.

Nothing on the scale of 4.5 lb. Walleye of course, but for me it was quite a trip... I used to do this sort of thing, but got out of it in the early 70's... wanted something for my 64th year that was different. Now I'm a bit fitter, and may just continue, but no more solo efforts I think.

Anyone else done something. I'm thinking if so, we might want a new topic. I'm just finishing something I started earlier as part of this one. I'd love to hear of other personal challenges for unfound caches...

Doug 7rxc

Right, and when someone logs an FTF find on Kougarok, then they will hold the record for the longest time period between the hidden date and the FTF date. Until that happens, Deep Buti is the current holder of that distinction.

Oops my bad, I get it now, with all the notes i didn't notice the find, congrats to Deep Buti, nice adventure.

Anyone else done something. I'm thinking if so, we might want a new topic.

It might be worth a new topic. Finding "lonely FTFs" is one of the many games-within-this-game that at least a few of us play.

Trouble is, this is somewhat competitive, and maybe we don't want to discuss potential targets lest somebody else get there first...

My current goal is a 5-year FTF, but I haven't identified any yet.

My best is a 2 year FTF with a friend. Unsolved, we solved it within a week, and drove 6 hours down and back (well, he did) to nab the FTF that weekend, and met with the CO. Others in the area weren't all too pleased :P

And yep, as soon as we solved it we were worried someone else would actually solve and log it before we could get down there. Yep, it's competitive. We told no one. :)

Regardless of potential state or past attempts, these are the current record-breaking old caches (whether lonely or unfound) that I've made note of, according to project-gc:

Kougarok, UNFOUND: pub 2001-06-23

Conch Shell Horn, UNFOUND: pub 2001-07-10

ECO ARCOIRIS, UNFOUND: pub 2002-05-1

Glacier Trail, FOUND 2003-07-24, 4418 days since last find as of Aug 28, 2015

Toothy Travel Bug Cache, UNFOUND: pub 2002-07-16

Rainbow Hydrothermal Vents, UNFOUND: pub 2002-07-19 (good luck with this one)

ECO ESTRATO, UNFOUND: pub 2002-07-28

Gold Lake, UNFOUND: pub 2002-08-13

Necans Old Cabin, UNFOUND: pub 2002-08-19

La muela del Manzano, FOUND? 2002-08-25 is same day as publish, but for Tb drop, so it's questionable

Gran vista del Santuario, FOUND 2003-05-25, 4418 days since last find as of June 29, 2015

Shore Lunch with Bazooka Joe, UNFOUND: pub 2003-06-12, 4418 days unfound as of July 17, 2015