New Product Repels Water/Heavy Oils

Thought I'd share this with you all. I'm hoping to find some soon and try it on my cache containers, as well as my shoes ~ I HATE wet feet :sad:

Has anyone tried this yet? It looks like a good product and I've never had a problem with using anything made by Rust-Oleum. The video shows it repelling water/mud from boots after stepping in a mud puddle, chocolate syrup being poured on sneakers, etc. If it works half as well as shown in the videos, I'll be happy!

This is part of an article in the Lancaster, PA newspaper:

Rust-Oleum NeverWet, a silicon-based spray developed by Lancaster-based Ross Nanotechnology, will be sold nationally at Home Depot stores through an agreement with Rust-Oleum, the company announced this week.

The license agreement with the Rust-Oleum gives that company exclusive rights to sell the water-repelling product commercially in North America, according to Andrew Jones, president of Ross Nanotechnolgy, a subsidiary of Ross Technology Corp.

When sprayed on a variety of surfaces, NeverWet is designed to create a superhydrophobic barrier, which repels water. Among other things, it can be used on metal, wood, masonry and aluminum as well as fabric, leather and canvas.

The kit, which will retail for $19.97, includes two spray cans — a base coat and a top coat — that can cover 10-to-15-square feet.

The website says it "completely repels water and heavy oils. Any object coated with our NeverWet™ coating literally cannot be touched by liquid. Any liquid placed on this coating is repelled and simply rolls off without touching the underlying surface."

Link to the NeverWet website: NeverWet

Link to the Rust-Oleum website (NeverWet product): Rust-Oleum

I think I need to coat my cachemobile with this stuff :laughing:

ps - I have not tried this YET, so I am NOT endorsing this product, just passing along the info!

Sounds like a good product for your personal gear, but not much use on an actual cache container unless you want to use something like a canvas bag.

True. A cache's main weak point is where it opens up, and this wouldn't help there. I could try it on my shoes, though.

Sounds like a good product for your personal gear, but not much use on an actual cache container unless you want to use something like a canvas bag.

I probably won't use a canvas bag. But one of my containers has a camo of cloth leaves and burlap. I have to touch it up seasonally to keep it weatherproof. A product that better prevents water from soaking into cloth camo would be great. The main issue would be that it doesn't get glossy.

Edited by kunarion

I seem to recall seeing a different superhydrophobic spray on product about a year ago. I don't recall who made it, but it was not a common company name. Certainly not Rustoleum. One of the claims was that, because I prevented contact betwixt metal and water, it helped reduce corrosion significantly. The only downside to the earlier product was its almost obscene cost. If Rustoleum is making the same stuff, and can make it at a reasonable price, I'd like to try it on an ammo can.

I seem to recall seeing a different superhydrophobic spray on product about a year ago. I don't recall who made it, but it was not a common company name. Certainly not Rustoleum. One of the claims was that, because I prevented contact betwixt metal and water, it helped reduce corrosion significantly. The only downside to the earlier product was its almost obscene cost. If Rustoleum is making the same stuff, and can make it at a reasonable price, I'd like to try it on an ammo can.

Looks like the cost is $19.97 from what the newspaper article is saying. The kit includes two spray cans — a base coat and a top coat — that can cover 10-to-15-square feet. I'm not sure that this is in the Home Depots as of yet, since the paper says a shipment is to arrive at a local store (20 mi. from me) next Tuesday. I called a store 3 miles from me and the guy I talked to didn't have a clue what I was talking about - go figure :yikes: I'll stop in on Monday and ask the manager about it. If they're not going to have it soon, I might make the drive to get it on Tuesday.

Also, from what I found, it sprays clear and dries to a flat light haze. And, it "dramatically repels water, mud, ice and other liquids." I want to try it on my ammo can since it sometimes gets wet and muddy where it is hidden. And, if it repels ice, I'm thinking it will help keep it easy to open certain cache containers here in the winter.

I called a store 3 miles from me and the guy I talked to didn't have a clue what I was talking about - go figure :yikes:

I hate when that happens B). While on a trip, I saw a display for "Liquid Duct Tape". It's spray-on rubber for repairing pipes or whatever. It acts like glue. I had a camo idea for it. But the employees at the stores back home had never heard of it. So they just told a bunch of duct tape jokes. <_<

I called a store 3 miles from me and the guy I talked to didn't have a clue what I was talking about - go figure :yikes:

I hate when that happens B). While on a trip, I saw a display for "Liquid Duct Tape". It's spray-on rubber for repairing pipes or whatever. It acts like glue. I had a camo idea for it. But the employees at the stores back home had never heard of it. So they just told a bunch of duct tape jokes. <_<

Just for grins I looked it up "liquid duct tape" on Google and one of the first hits is on the use of liquid nitrogen to remove duct tape from a homicide victim. In case you needed to know...

Don't forget, you spray your shoes with this stuff and the fabric won't breathe at all, leaving your feet soaked inside 'em.

Thought I'd "waterproof" a cheapy pair of Rocky hikers once with 303 fabric protector and they were waterproof all right, to the point that water didn't evaporate out of 'em either.

- Goretex fixes that now.

Does seem like it might be cool for metals though.

- But even with the humidity, we haven't had rusted up ammo cans (krylon painted) in over six years.

Spraying the pool fence may help a bit. Seems it'd save mega time on the pole barn roof (Nu Finish wax it now) if once and done.

Maybe wait a year for product tests.

Thanks for the info.