What would you do?

NanCycle

If you found an object with an attached paper tag saying "Discover me" and a tracking number, and on the trackable's page it said:

I made my own signature travel ID SWAG . . . . I place one of these in nearly every cache I find.

There are hundreds out there with the same trackable tag. They are meant for you to "discover it" and keep it or give it to someone you know

Would you discover it, ignore it, keep it, trash it, or what?

I would discover it as intended. Who am I to judge?

@Keystone: which rule/system is it abusing? If someone buys a tracking code, they are allowed to send out a copy if a TB goes missing, so why not use it multiple times for the same item?

Someone once said "If someone buys a tracking code, they are allowed to send out a copy if a TB goes missing". If you need more clarification, ask that person, who seems to understand the rule/system. The TB support pages also say it: One Trackable in play per Tracking number.

I'd support a special selection for multiple TB clones that allows "Discover Only" and merely places a point on a map when a clone is found. But I'd also expect GS to control the numbers of clones, and charge a fee for each one.

Edited by kunarion

I would discover it as intended. Who am I to judge?

I would say that ignoring it is "not judging" but discovering it is participating.

I am leaning toward reporting it, and have been since I read the page--but I wanted someone else (especially a moderator or reviewer or lackey even) to be the first to say it. :drama:

I would trash it. Well, technically, I kept it without logging it so I could look it up again whenever someone brings these up in the forums.

I was handed a "Trackable" pen at an Event. All the TO's pens have the same number. I didn't trash it. It's a nice pen. :anicute:

I didn't log it.

I would report the trackable to Groundspeak so it could be locked as being abusive of the system.

When it's "locked", what does that page look like? If finders can still at least access the TB page, maybe that's all the TB Owner needs (like the TO in the OP). I'm not promoting that as the best option :ph34r:, just asking.

When it's "locked", what does that page look like? If finders can still at least access the TB page, maybe that's all the TB Owner needs (like the TO in the OP). I'm not promoting that as the best option :ph34r:, just asking.

The one I found was locked, so the TO set up a page somewhere else for logging it, then put the link in the description.

Someone just opened a similar thread over on the geocoin forum: Multiple Proxies

One issue (non-issue) is this: Because we have no way of only allowing "discovered" logs on a trackable item, cachers frequently don't read instructions and go on to retrieve, visit and drop these proxies into caches around the world. Then the trackable ends up with thirty-five million miles on it as it jumps from Alabama to Zanzibar every other day.

@6NoisyHikers:

You can only discover trackables that people have in their collection (as shown below).

Granted, the collectible status combined with the move to collection option is confusing, but it does work.

http://support.Groundspeak.com/index.php?id=250&pg=kb.page

What is the benefit

Collectible functionality allows the trackable to be in a geocacher's collection rather than moving from geocache to geocache. Trackables that are in a collection do not show in the "inventory" field when logging a geocache. This shortens your inventory to trackables that you've picked up to move. Trackables in a collection can only be discovered, they cannot be grabbed, dropped or dipped (visit cache). You can allow another cacher to collect a trackable that you own.

Someone once said "If someone buys a tracking code' date=' they are allowed to send out a copy if a TB goes missing". If you need more clarification, ask that person, who seems to understand the rule/system. The TB support pages also say it: One Trackable in play per Tracking number.[/quote'] If you are only allowed one trackable per number, then why does Groundspeak sell dog tags in a bag together with a copy tag? It's clearly intended to send out in the world if the original goes missing, but you never know if it's truly gone.

If you are only allowed one trackable per number, then why does Groundspeak sell dog tags in a bag together with a copy tag? It's clearly intended to send out in the world if the original goes missing, but you never know if it's truly gone.

I thought the "copy tag" was for you to keep, so you have the tracking number if you need it for something.

I'd probably log it into caches all over the world. Drop. Retrieve. But I have a strange sense of humor.

Definitely in violation of the guidelines, and should be reported, and locked.

I picked up a TB in New Jersey that had been re-released after the original had been missing for over a year. Three way e-mail with the owner, and the cacher who found the copy in Germany. It was decided that the easiest solution was for me to mail the original back to the CO in Wisconsin, and let the European cacher move the copy. I was repaid the $2 for the mailing.

Only one TB per TB code permitted at any time. What the OP cites is a deliberate violation of the guidelines, and should be reported.

None of the above. I would report the trackable to Groundspeak so it could be locked as being abusive of the system.

It has been well over a week (10 days) since I reported it, and no action has been taken. Keystone, I am going to send you the tracking number.

None of the above. I would report the trackable to Groundspeak so it could be locked as being abusive of the system.

It has been well over a week (10 days) since I reported it, and no action has been taken. Keystone, I am going to send you the tracking number.

Thanks for reporting this to Groundspeak. That is all you can do. Only a Lackey has the power to lock a trackable item or to take other action against the trackable's owner. As a volunteer my only special power in regard to trackables is the ability to mark them missing from any cache.

Thanks for reporting this to Groundspeak. That is all you can do. Only a Lackey has the power to lock a trackable item or to take other action against the trackable's owner. As a volunteer my only special power in regard to trackables is the ability to mark them missing from any cache.

Hmm. ok, thanks. I thought maybe you could use insider communication and get attention where I wasn't.