Strange Logs From 'Guest'

kunarion

Is there something really weird going on with Groundspeak's servers this week? Was there a glitch that is now being fixed? Just wondering. If there's a discussion on this already, direct me there.

On July 11th, I got email notifying me of two “Found” logs, both on the same cache, from “Guest”. Both logs said “Very clever!! I really like this one! TFTC!”. “Guest” is not in the system, it's not a member. The logs are not on the cache (instantly deleted?). It almost looked to me like the site had been hacked. I could believe it was simply a strange email glitch.

But today, July 13th, I got a verified “Found” log from a real Geocacher. It said “Very clever!! I really like this one! TFTC!”. The log is backdated for “July 11th”, when the cacher actually found it. So I'm guessing, the site has just now caught up on old logs.

Unrelated, but equally weird:

On July 11th, a few minutes after Guest's email notifcations, I got a notice that someone from Germany found that exact same cache on the previous day. This cacher logged caches in Belgium that day. They logged no other caches in the US, and none since. I don't live near an airport, and my cache isn't a tourist spot. Yet that log is genuine, the paper log was signed, the cacher is part of a family's joint account, and all is in order. It's just a cool story, unrelated to the above Guest things, although at first appearing to be part of the same issue. Just thought I'd share.

Edited by kunarion

I got a notification from "Guest" on a cache that I am watching, the other day.

Did you get another notification today for the correct name, or did it just correct itself on your cache page?

Yes. It looks like, when the Find was logged, some glitch caused the name "Guest" instead of the cacher's name, email notification only, and no log on the cache page. Two days later, the correct email notification happened, and the log appeared.

I wonder what the cachers thought about that. For two days, the cache log "Found It" didn't exist.

Edited by kunarion