Replacing log/container

RodGeocache

Hi there,

First post here. We have recently started caching and are loving it. One question - if I find the log or container damaged can I replace them if the cache does not "belong" to me. We have found a few where they are in very poor shape and we cannot sign the log and so would like to replace if at all possible.

Thanks for your time. :)

The general practice is to mention in the log what the problem is. If other people have already mentioned the problem in the log then it's time to post a Needs Maintenance log. This usually gets the attention of the cache owner where regular logs may be missed. If there are already Needs Maintenance logs post another one. In my area 3 NMs gets the reviewers attention. But NM logs do not go to reviewers. Some scan for them from time to time then post a Reviewer Note on the cache asking the CO to fix the cache (giving the CO usually a month to respond). The final step is the Needs Archive log. I will post an NA when it appears the cache owner has abandoned the cache and the cache is in rough shape (broken, moldy, not there). The NA log gets emailed to the Reviewer. They decide whether the cache should be archived or not.

Hi there,

First post here. We have recently started caching and are loving it. One question - if I find the log or container damaged can I replace them if the cache does not "belong" to me. We have found a few where they are in very poor shape and we cannot sign the log and so would like to replace if at all possible.

Thanks for your time. :)

Most people will add a scrap of paper to sign. Then note the fact that the log is full in their "found it" log. Some people will add the "needs maintenance" log just because the log is full, but I don't do that any more.

As for replacing the container....

I hope this thread doesn't go the way of this one:

http://forums.Groundspeak.com/GC/index.php?showtopic=313702

B.

Edited by Pup Patrol

I have fixed caches before. Just recently I replace a cache because it was broken and the contents were icky. The owner has not been on the site for while. I also have put logbooks in caches because they were missing. I have also put extra swag in caches because they were empty. I just figure I am helping the cache owner. I carry extra logs with me. the cache that had a was broken I just happen to have the same size container in my car and replaced it. I wanted the next cacher to find a nice dry log and containter. I know people who carry extra logs with them. I know I do Just my .02

also subscribe here to the pay-it-forward rule of helping/generosity/enabling - whatever name fits... :anicute:

performing this random act of kindness so the next family behind me caching gets a good first experience with

their kidzzz kinda makes up for those flash-in-the-pan TFTC phone cachers who take swag, leave nothing, don't recamo, etc...

even helping a fellow CO has the reward of knowing the next cacher will have a good find...

I think minor repairs like duct taping a cracked container, adding a logbook, pencil or new Ziplock are fine, but major stuff like replacing a container shouldn't be done without prior permission of the cache owner. If you email him and offer to replace the container and he says OK, then go for it. Other than that, log a needs maintenance and leave it to the cache owner.

If the cache is obviously abandoned by the owner, you are only keeping an unmaintained cache alive and its probably just a matter of time before it's in disrepair again. It's better off to have it archived and open the spot for someone who will take care of his cache.

Edited by briansnat

To me it depends on the level of care needed, and to some extent, the attitude of the cache owner. If the cache is otherwise in pretty good shape I might replace a damp, full, or missing log sheet, or maybe apply a little duct tape to a cracked lid. If the cache is really a mess, though, and appears to have been in that condition for awhile, or if there have been NM logs or comments on the cache's poor condition, and the owner has ignored such comments, then I probably won't go out of my way. If the owner doesn't even care about his own cache enough to come out and address the issue, why should I do it for him?

That being said, yes, it's perfectly acceptable to do minor fixes to someone else's cache, at whatever level you are comfortable with. Please don't, however, start replacing caches because they are "missing"....if you didn't find it that doesn't automatically mean its not there. It happens occasionally that people will throw down a replacement cache when they can't find the original, thinking they're doing a favor, and now there are two caches at the site (the well hidden original and a cheesy throwdown)

I would not replace a cache that is missing but I know the owner of the cache I replace is in the service. I dont have a problem with fixing a cache or leaving a log book or pencil etc. They have cache fix kits on line. I have replaced logs and left pencils (but you should bring a pencil all the time with you) I just think it is a nice thing to do. I really dont like slimmy caches and stuff. I like to think if a kid comes along they could pick something. I do note in my logs and have not gotten any nagtive feed back

Edited by Derb522002

Depends on the area and the owner. In some cases I won't do anything but add a sheet of paper if a logbook is full. For instance, if I travel abroad and look for a nano in a big city, its owner being a resident of this city and active. I will most probably do only minor repairings if needed. However if it is about a cache on a mountain ridge I understand quite clearly that it may take days/weeks/months to get there to even the most active CO so why should I just pass by if it takes 5 minutes for me to solve the problem? I don't make any difference between "replacing a logbook" and "replacing a container" since both are just technical issues (excluding special hand-made containers/logbooks of course). My decision is also influenced by the attitude of a CO to his cache. For instance, I recently found a "cache" - a small piece of paper wrapped in old duct tape. This was the style that the CO played. Should I replace this stuff with a brand new logbook and a good container? I didn't.

Please don't, however, start replacing caches because they are "missing"....if you didn't find it that doesn't automatically mean its not there. It happens occasionally that people will throw down a replacement cache when they can't find the original, thinking they're doing a favor, and now there are two caches at the site (the well hidden original and a cheesy throwdown)

+1 to that. There have been a number of occasions when I had to go out and remove a pill bottle that was thrown down, and my nice regular sized Lock n Lock was still sitting comfortably in its hiding place.

Please don't, however, start replacing caches because they are "missing"....if you didn't find it that doesn't automatically mean its not there. It happens occasionally that people will throw down a replacement cache when they can't find the original, thinking they're doing a favor, and now there are two caches at the site (the well hidden original and a cheesy throwdown)

+1 to that. There have been a number of occasions when I had to go out and remove a pill bottle that was thrown down, and my nice regular sized Lock n Lock was still sitting comfortably in its hiding place.

A long time ago :ph34r:, one of my cache containers went missing (muggled?) unknown to me. The next cacher placed a new log and ziplock. I went to the site, and found it muggled, container gone, the original cache log on the ground, no sign of a "new log". This created a mystery... What happened? Where's the "new log"? Did the cacher find the container?

A good practice is to log that you didn't find it, or that ["the log is gone but the container is still there so new piece of signed paper was added"] or whatever you did. Don't kinda fix it all up for me and then make me guess what's going on.

Edited by kunarion

I welcome cachers to fix up any of my caches in need of help - from replacing a cracked container to adding a new log or a pencil. It can become quite costly to drive 30 miles just to add a new log!

As for others' caches in need of maintenance, I will always add a new log if needed. If I find it to be an exceptional area, I will replace with a new cache container if needed. For more complex caches, the CO really needs to do the maintenance. Make sure the cache is not over-filled and preventing the lid from getting a good seal; you may need to remove some items. Check the seal to make sure it is in good shape. A cache that is not water tight will only lead to a repeat performance and should be taken out of service. Should I come across a cache with inappropriate items, trash or moldy stuff I remove them. A note of caution here: one cacher's trash is another cacher's treasure... Food, candy, adult toys, scented candles must go.

Always inform the CO in the log just what you did. If it could provide spoilers, I send it in a private message. Should you remove the old log, you can go the added step to offer to send it to the CO. Some opt to leave the old log and place it in a plastic bag if there is room for it.

Items to carry:

Rag to wipe out the container

Pencils

Logs (various sizes)

Duct tape

Spare cache

Gloves

Plastic bags

Bison tube gaskets

I welcome cachers to fix up any of my caches in need of help - from replacing a cracked container to adding a new log or a pencil. It can become quite costly to drive 30 miles just to add a new log!

As a CO I appreciate a "Needs a new logbook" message, hopefully a couple of pages before the logbook needs to be replaced. That way it gives me time to get out to replace it. If I get a "The logbook is full" message and I can't make it out there for a while, I will post a note asking the next finders to please leave a sheet of paper in the container to tide it over until I can make it out there. If there's a bigger problem with the cache or I can't make it out to the cache for at least a month I will disable the cache so that others don't waste their time and gas money going out to a cache in need of repair.

I think you just have to use common sense. I was familier with the cache owner and I knew he was in the service. so that is why I replace the cache. I have left log books in caches because the orignal was full but I would hope someone would that for me if I could not get to the cache right away. I would not replace a cache that I thought was missing but I would note in my DNF log because it may be in its hidy hole and I just missed it. I have replace swag in a cache because there was none. These were tupperware or ammo cans there was garbage in the cache. which I have taken out. If you are in local area you know who would be offened and who would not. Just my .02