Please improve the search/filtering capability

InGodsHands

The Geocaching search/filtering capability needs to be significantly improved. At a minimum you should be able to alpha search the cache title for a string ANYWHERE IN THE CACHE TITLE (not just starts with) AND also specify a state/country. For the compilation caches you are interested in finding all the "Welcome to" caches in the state of Florida or "Challenge" caches in Oregon.

The GSAK application provides a good example of the ultimate in searching/filtering capability.

The Geocaching search filter should allow the user to specify a COMPOSITE SEARCH/FILTER (i.e. several parameters at once):

cache name contains, cache name starts with the letter, distance (less than, greater than, in between), difficulty (less than, greater than, in between, equal to), Terrain, available status (archived, disabled, active), owner name contains, favourite points (less than, greater than), placed date, cache type, container size, state contains, country contains, GC Code contains.

By allowing the user to specify these parameters the SQL query could be dynamically built and the the results set returned to the screen.

Also allow the results set to be stored as a Pocket Query for download.

Edited by MrPirateCat

I am plus one for this feature (or should I say plus FUN).

Here's a thread where I requested better access to the data:

Generic SQL access via the API

Got made fun of in that one. Not so funny now, is it?

Here's another thread where I describe a more specific GSAK-filter-like interface:

Pocket Query attribute

And here's a thread describing a less complicated GUI way to enhance a PQ for D/T combos:

[FEATURE] Enhance D/T selection in PQ

This forum is like /dev/nul for the Groundspeak 'droids. I am sickly curious to find out why that is, exactly.

I have seen posts on other threads that state that Groundspeak has decided to stop development of pocket queries or search functions in favor of work on the API, which would let other developers add new features. The only real use that I make of the Groundspeak iOS app these days is that it allows location searches based on specific words. In any event, it would be interesting if Groundspeak confirmed this, although given the lack of response to anything in this section of the forum, I am not sure that it will happen one way or the other.

I have seen posts on other threads that state that Groundspeak has decided to stop development of pocket queries or search functions in favor of work on the API, which would let other developers add new features. The only real use that I make of the Groundspeak iOS app these days is that it allows location searches based on specific words. In any event, it would be interesting if Groundspeak confirmed this, although given the lack of response to anything in this section of the forum, I am not sure that it will happen one way or the other.

Searching the forum is about as useful as searching for a specific set of geocaches. I'll let someone else find the post, but I have read it. I believe that word "stop" was not used. "scaled back", was the term, if I recall correctly.