Okay to log attended by event owner?

I have recently noticed some event owners logging their own events as attended so they get credit for their own event? We have never done this in the past as we thought it would be the same as logging your own caches as found? But after contemplation and checking with other geocachers, this seems to be a acceptable practice for many and maybe us too?

So my question is this of course, is it okay to log your own event as attended?

I doubt that we will go back and mark all of our events as attended because we are not concerned about the numbers and it would mess up our listings where we tried to make major events as memorable finds, like GW 8 as our 1000th, and CP 7 as our 2K etc.

But as in the case with the souvenir for August, we are hosting an event and can I log it as attended or should I still go out and find one to log it correctly?

Just wondering what the one's with all the "wisdom" have to say? B)

Thanks for your response and time!

This has been brought up numerous times, and those discussions could be found by doing a forum search.

Attending your event is nothing like finding your own cache.

Numerous times, folks have posted an event cache, and have not been able to attend it for whatever reason.

Just because you are the "host" of an event doesn't necessarily mean that you will be able to attend it. If you do attend, then why not log it as such?

B.

I don't see why you shouldn't log that you attended your own event. Seems to make sense.

The part about attending an event being counted as finding a cache is what doesn't make sense.

I see how events should be tracked but they should be done on their own counter. Of course, I am rambling here since this is never going to be changed.

I don't see why you shouldn't log that you attended your own event. Seems to make sense.

The part about attending an event being counted as finding a cache is what doesn't make sense.

I see how events should be tracked but they should be done on their own counter. Of course, I am rambling here since this is never going to be changed.

I've never understood this either. Wish GC.com would have had separated found and attended stats at the beginning. They are not the same thing. As far as logging your own event,,, if you were there, then you attended. Seems perfectly logical to log it as such.

I've never understood this either. Wish GC.com would have had separated found and attended stats at the beginning.

Brief history. Cache types weren't invented "at the beginning". Events were published for a while before Jeremy invented the cache types. "Event" wasn't defined and could simply be "something happening here" - nothing like the "gathering of cachers, by and for cachers" definition of today.

When he created the types, he did a bit of retro-active application of them to the database, but hardly anything thorough.

The "attended" log came several years later. My early events are "found" not "attended".

So "from the beginning" was never an option. Maybe when the "attended" log came along, they could have started with a separate stat, but it would have created a firestorm of trouble, especially out of the multi-logging temps at events folks. It only matters if you think that you're keeping score ;-)

I've never understood this either. Wish GC.com would have had separated found and attended stats at the beginning.

Brief history. Cache types weren't invented "at the beginning". Events were published for a while before Jeremy invented the cache types. "Event" wasn't defined and could simply be "something happening here" - nothing like the "gathering of cachers, by and for cachers" definition of today.

When he created the types, he did a bit of retro-active application of them to the database, but hardly anything thorough.

The "attended" log came several years later. My early events are "found" not "attended".

So "from the beginning" was never an option. Maybe when the "attended" log came along, they could have started with a separate stat, but it would have created a firestorm of trouble, especially out of the multi-logging temps at events folks. It only matters if you think that you're keeping score ;-)

Good history! I think I actually looked into that once, and the "attended" log came along in 2005. And the multi-logging of temps used to be way more popular back then, although it was generally practiced in moderation. For example, people did not log that they attended the event 125 times for finding so-called caches 200 feet apart. And yes, that really does happen at an annual fall event in Ohio. Don't even ask about the Christmas one. :ph34r:

Like all things, there was a "beginning". In this case, it was when GC.com set it up so that events could be published and logged. A more correct log type, such as "attended", could have been set up and separated from regular "found its" at that time. I too have a "found it" or two on long time ago events. Even back then, i thought it was strange to call my attendance a find.

Not keeping score but i do like to keep my numbers as correct as possible. The good thing is that we can see our attendeds and founds separated on our stats page. :)

Good history! I think I actually looked into that once, and the "attended" log came along in 2005. And the multi-logging of temps used to be way more popular back then, although it was generally practiced in moderation. For example, people did not log that they attended the event 125 times for finding so-called caches 200 feet apart. And yes, that really does happen at an annual fall event in Ohio. Don't even ask about the Christmas one. :ph34r:

I think the 'attended' option came along right around Nov. 1, 2004. IIRC I edited all of my event 'finds' to the new log types as soon as it was available. I was at an event on 10/30/04 that was edited (on 11/1/04) and then at another on 11/6/04 that wasn't. One additional tidbit: for a good while you could pick either 'found' or 'attended' for events. Not sure when 'found' was dropped as an option tho (2008 maybe?).

Add me to the not logging my events as attended column. Never logged any temporary caches as found either. YFMV.

Edited by Corp Of Discovery

I've hosted 3 events that show up in my Geocaches Owned stat column. I've attended 4 event that show up in my

Geocaches Found column.

Checking my math that's a total of 7 events.

Logging my own events suddenly equals 10.

Pretty impressive stat padding. I should be proud.

No stat padding at all. All this is so simple if you think about it. An attended log is just a statement of fact.

This is just like the DNF drama that is so prevalent. A person either finds the cache or they don't. Yet it seems like so many people have a hard time figuring that out.

Just look at the words and don't try to add or take anything away from them.

Attended means that i had been present at an event.

DNF means that i did not find the cache.

It's not complicated. :rolleyes:

If your event stats exceeds the actual number of event caches you've been to, you're lying. Eye-roll that

Different stats. Hosted and Attended. What if you could not attend one of the events you hosted? Would you delete that event from your hosted stats? If you don't, then by your reasoning you are lying.

Do you add your hides to your finds and use that number as your caches? Sounds the same as adding hosted events to attended events to get your number of events...

If your event stats exceeds the actual number of event caches you've been to, you're lying. Eye-roll that

Different stats. Hosted and Attended. What if you could not attend one of the events you hosted? Would you delete that event from your hosted stats? If you don't, then by your reasoning you are lying.

Do you add your hides to your finds and use that number as your caches? Sounds the same as adding hosted events to attended events to get your number of events...

Nice job at being completely whack. Total number of events verses total stats.

Hosting an event and attending an event are two different things. A person can do both of these. Again, it's not complicated.

I know you are going along with the premise that traditional caches shouldn't be logged by their owners. I wholeheartedly agree. But there are two different log types here, one found and the other attended. No, i shouldn't try and claim a find on my own cache. On the otherhand, an attended log describes exactly what occurred if i was present at my event.

The thing is, i don't care how you or anyone else plays this. My response was to your uncalled for "stat padding" remark. Not that i have to explain anything to you but, even though i do want my stats to be as factual as possible, i could care less about big numbers being in those stats. I'm not going to try and pad them in any way.

I've hosted 3 events that show up in my Geocaches Owned stat column. I've attended 4 event that show up in my

Geocaches Found column.

ROFL. If you want to pad your stats, hosting events is probably the most time consuming way to do it. :laughing:

Hosting an event and attending an event are two different things. A person can do both of these. Again, it's not complicated.

I know you are going along with the premise that traditional caches shouldn't be logged by their owners. I wholeheartedly agree. But there are two different log types here, one found and the other attended. No, i shouldn't try and claim a find on my own cache. On the otherhand, an attended log describes exactly what occurred if i was present at my event.

The thing is, i don't care how you or anyone else plays this. My response was to your uncalled for "stat padding" remark. Not that i have to explain anything to you but, even though i do want my stats to be as factual as possible, i could care less about big numbers being in those stats. I'm not going to try and pad them in any way.

Let me leave it as this.

These are the events I have hosted and these are the events I have attended. Those stats stand as they are.

I don't need anything extra by " but what if I fell off the edge of the world" justification.

I did log it as attended (this once), but only for the souvenier sake, otherwise I don't think I would. I haven't in the past and doubt I will in the future? I see both points of view and for me I think that once (creating and hosting) the event icon will be enough. I don't need to add to my numbers as we don't care about numbers. We have been caching since 2004 and many a new cacher has "more" caches than us. Of course when we started there wasn't long series of miles upon miles of caches you can find. Nor did we have events every year that "churn" new caches every year. But it doesn't matter to us. We cache because it's FUN to do and I could care less about the numbers. The only reason we even mark them as found is so we don't keep going after the same ones. <_<

But thanks everyone for your input and insight, and we wish you all the best in geocaching and we are thankful that a hobby can be flexible enough for people to choose to do it "their way"!

We have more than enough rules as it is, so glad we can make these choices for ourselves, log as attended or don't lot as attended that is your choice for your conscious.

Take Care and Be Well!

DangerousDale (1/2 of Team Cache Divers)

That can work both ways. You've attended seven events, three of which you hosted, but your stats show that you only attended four. Why are you lying about the amount of events you have attended?

Technically, your hosted events are a subset of the total events that you have attended. It makes no sense to add the subset to the whole.

Nice job at being completely whack.

Thanks so much for the compliment. You are a fine gentleman, a good judge of fast women and good looking horses (or is that fast horses and good looking women? I never keep that straight, but then I know nothing about horses, I'm sure you know what I mean.).

Total number of events verses total stats.

Huh???

My point was from one of my friends hosting an event that a family emergancy prevented them from attending. So their 'total events' (your formula: hosted + attended) is 'lying' as they've attend one less then their stats show. How do you propose they deal with this horrendous problem? To get the stats right they'd need to somehow erase the hosted, but unattend, event from their stats - if I understand your method.

I don't log my own events as attended. I think I'm in the minority though.

The same for us.

You already get credit for the cache on the 'Caches Owned' side.

For us it seems cheesy. object-emoticon-0076.gif

I made the decision back when we logged events as "Found it". Just as with regular caches, I figured how could I find it if I knew where it was? When the the log type was changed to "attended" I briefly considered logging attended, but decided that I'd stick with my original ethic and remain the host only. I have no quarrel with anybody who feels differently and I don't think it's cheesy at all, it's just not for me.

Edited by briansnat

Geocaches Found column.

I have four caches that I'd found, then later adopted. So those four are both in my 'found' list and 'own' list - stat padding? I guess that makes me a liar...

I did log it as attended (this once), but only for the souvenier sake, otherwise I don't think I would. I haven't in the past and doubt I will in the future? I see both points of view and for me I think that once (creating and hosting) the event icon will be enough. I don't need to add to my numbers as we don't care about numbers. We have been caching since 2004 and many a new cacher has "more" caches than us. Of course when we started there wasn't long series of miles upon miles of caches you can find. Nor did we have events every year that "churn" new caches every year. But it doesn't matter to us. We cache because it's FUN to do and I could care less about the numbers. The only reason we even mark them as found is so we don't keep going after the same ones. <_<

But thanks everyone for your input and insight, and we wish you all the best in geocaching and we are thankful that a hobby can be flexible enough for people to choose to do it "their way"!

We have more than enough rules as it is, so glad we can make these choices for ourselves, log as attended or don't lot as attended that is your choice for your conscious.

Take Care and Be Well!

To make things easier all the way around why didn't you just find another cache in order to get the souvenir?

er, uh, nobody really cares if you log or don't log attended at your own event. What we care about is your inability to decide for yourself and your apparent need to validate your choice with this forum. Make you own decision and don't bother us with this nonsense.

Thanks for not caring but still sharing your 1 1/2 cents!

Take Care and Be Well!

To make things easier all the way around why didn't you just find another cache in order to get the souvenir?

Because we spent our free time in hosting the event instead of caching, and it was too late to do caching after event.

er, uh, nobody really cares if you log or don't log attended at your own event. What we care about is your inability to decide for yourself and your apparent need to validate your choice with this forum. Make you own decision and don't bother us with this nonsense.

I went to see your profile and found why you had to insult me instead of a well thought out reply er, uh, "New Jersey"! I guess your mother never told you that if you have nothing to say, then say nothing! Good luck with making friends!

After reading this thoughtful (for the most part) thread, we've decided to play the game by NOT logging our attendance at an Event we run. Reason: It feels like Double-Dipping. We got the tick mark for establishing a new cache.

Thanks for setting up what has turned into a Self-Auditing exercise for us.

:unsure:

No, it's not. It's not a cache at all, at least in the traditional sense. There is a log to sign, yes, but it's not a cache. It's an event, a get-together to promote caching and it's not permanent like a cache is.

I log Attended on my events and will continue to do so because I attended it. Finding your own cache or solving your own puzzle is not the same thing.

If you want to, or don't want to, log your own event as attended, that's your personal preference. The OP was simply looking for opinions on the matter. If they choose to not log it as attended, who are we to tell him he's wrong?

Edited by BigChiefS4

Not to mention that if souvenirs are important to you not logging that you've attended means you don't get a souvenir for a special event that you've hosted.

Not to mention that if souvenirs are important to you not logging that you've attended means you don't get a souvenir for a special event that you've hosted.

I wonder how many souvenirs have been awarded to people that created events solely so that people (and of course the host of the event) could get an August souvenir.