Grab a trackable?

Nosmo  King

If they have seen the coin before and have the code off of it they can grab it.

If it is your coin you can delete the log.

If it isn't your coin you can either wait and see what they are doing, maybe correcting their logs, or grab it back.

Edit: I don't see which trackable you are talking about. I see this trackable, that you placed in a cache.

Edited by MooseJawSpruce

Inasmuch as you successfully moved the trackable, I am going to guess that your question posed is hypothetical...

Remember this from your previous thread?...

1] Retrieve. To remove and take with you a trackable from a cache that it has been logged into.

2] Grab (Grabbed from...). To take possession of a trackable from anywhere other than a cache it has been logged into.

3] Discover. To see or observe (only) a trackable anywhere. It is only to be used when you do not take possession of the item.

4] Drop (Dropped). This log is to place the trackable into a cache -- it is the mechanism that places it into that cache inventory.

5] Visit. This log is used to have a trackable "visit" a cache that you do not leave it in, you continue to carry it along.

The answer to your question is #2.

EDIT to add: The tracking number is the key... You can do anything with that number (as far as logging goes). Without the number, there are limitations what one can do.

Edited by Gitchee-Gummee

Inasmuch as you successfully moved the trackable, I am going to guess that your question posed is hypothetical...

Remember this from your previous thread?...

1] Retrieve. To remove and take with you a trackable from a cache that it has been logged into.

2] Grab (Grabbed from...). To take possession of a trackable from anywhere other than a cache it has been logged into.

3] Discover. To see or observe (only) a trackable anywhere. It is only to be used when you do not take possession of the item.

4] Drop (Dropped). This log is to place the trackable into a cache -- it is the mechanism that places it into that cache inventory.

5] Visit. This log is used to have a trackable "visit" a cache that you do not leave it in, you continue to carry it along.

The answer to your question is #2.

EDIT to add: The tracking number is the key... You can do anything with that number (as far as logging goes). Without the number, there are limitations what one can do.

Yes the question was hypothetical, anyway......am I done with this purple butterfly? or will it come back to haunt me again sometime?

I'm not sure how someone can "grab" a trackable from me when I have it in my pocket. Please help me understand this one. Thanks in advance.

Your profile only shows one trackable, Purple Butterfly, that you dropped in a cache today.

Which trackable are you asking about in this thread?

B.

It is a hypothetical question only.

I'm not sure how someone can "grab" a trackable from me when I have it in my pocket. Please help me understand this one. Thanks in advance.

Your profile only shows one trackable, Purple Butterfly, that you dropped in a cache today.

B.

This is a hypothetical question only.

B.

This is a hypothetical question only.

Very specific hypothetical question.

Yes the question was hypothetical, anyway......am I done with this purple butterfly? or will it come back to haunt me again sometime?

You are done with it. It will (always) be listed on your Profile as a Trackable Logged, but you are finished with it. Good job.

Thanks all U's who helped me understand the workings of trackables. Now for the nightmare to begin, my daughter and I are going to try and log 100 caches tomorrow. This should be quite an adventure.

@ mille&mars:

Here is what I would do (others may do differently)...

a] post a NOTE log on the TB page - We picked <name> TB from GC###### cache <date>. It was not logged into this cache. We will wait for a short period of time in order for it to be properly logged.

b] after a week (perhaps -- your choice), file a GRABBED FROM... log on the TB page. Some folks do this step immediately, it is your choice. This maneuver eliminates performing step a].

c] log a VISIT for the TB to GC###### cache, using the date of the find log. You can do this with a NOTE log to the cache, then delete that cache log (just to not clutter the cache page). You may be able to do this step via Edit of your original Found It log, I am not sure.

d] (optional) delete the previously posted NOTE log from step a].

e] carry on as though nothing odd had happened.

Edited by Gitchee-Gummee

@ mille&mars:

a] post a NOTE log on the TB page - We picked <name> TB from GC###### cache <date>.

When logging TBs always use the NAME and/or the TB##### to identify it. NEVER use the tracking number anywhere it can be seen by the public. for a good explanation of why not to use the tracking number see:

http://forums.Groundspeak.com/GC/index.php?showtopic=312124

Gitchee-Gummee's advice is good, so you're fine if you follow that, but here are my variations:

a] post a NOTE log on the TB page - We picked <name> TB from GC###### cache <date>. It was not logged into this cache. We will wait for a short period of time in order for it to be properly logged.

If you're going to delay grabbing the TB, posting a note explaining that you have it and where you found it is very important.

b] after a week (perhaps -- your choice), file a GRABBED FROM... log on the TB page. Some folks do this step immediately, it is your choice. This maneuver eliminates performing step a].

I do tend to grab pretty quick, although I'll delay if it's convenient. If I look at logs, I can often see that the drop was missed. For example, if the person that's holding the TB has already logged a find on the cache, then I can conclude they just forgot to drop the TB, so I'll grab it right away. I also tend to do this if I find a TB that "fell out of the sky", i.e., hasn't been logged for a long time. My reasoning is that if someone held the TB for 6 months then put it in a cache, they can't really be too surprised if someone jumps in and logs the TB's location as soon as possible so the owner knows it's back in play.

Normally I drop TBs within a day or two, and I'll log the drop as soon as I can even if that means grabbing it without giving the previous holder much grace time to catch up on the drop.

In general, my opinion is that grabbing from someone isn't that big of a deal, and every time I've stepped on a reasonably delayed log, the previous holder wasn't upset about it, typically posting a note to the TB log explaining why their log was delayed long enough that I had to make a grab. In fact, a couple times I've been thanked because the delay was something out of their control, so they appreciated having the TB's location updated while they couldn't get to it.

c] log a VISIT for the TB to GC###### cache, using the date of the find log. You can do this with a NOTE log to the cache, then delete that cache log (just to not clutter the cache page). You may be able to do this step via Edit of your original Found It log, I am not sure.

Yes, the visit is the most important step here. It insures that the TB's trip is properly documented. To be honest, one of the reasons I lean so heavily for a quick grab is so I can do the visit when I originally post my found log. Typically, if I do delay the grab a day or two, I'll also delay logging that cache just to wait to see if the TB needs to visit the cache.

You can add the visit by editing the found log later. No matter how the TB visits the cache, I normally mention and explain the visit in log because it helps people sort out what happened.

d] (optional) delete the previously posted NOTE log from step a].

I would argue against deleting the note announcing that you are delaying the grab. I don't think there's really any good reason to delete the note to begin with -- it's not like it takes up much space or adds excessive complication, for example -- and, furthermore, I think the note is a valid part of the TB's history that should be left in place.

e] carry on as though nothing odd had happened.

Yep, good advice. The whole point of these steps is to put the TB in a state that's as close as possible to what it should be, so once that's all taken care of, everything's back to normal.