How much to get a coin manufactured?

u1bd2005

Hi, I was wondering how much it costs roughly to get a basic design but high quality coin manufactured. I've requested a quote from oakcoins for a price for 100 coins.

I have a few ideas running around in my head, but no actual designs yet.

I was wondering if anyone who has gone through the process could advise me of:

A. How much it cost them roughly from start to finish for similar amounts.

B. Ideas about the time-frame involved.

C. How easy it was to find a site to list the coins on for sale once done.

D. Design wise, I'm not the best artist, how good are the people who help you through the process at interpreting ideas.

Many Thanks

Daniel

Depends on how detailed your design is and the work needed on the Dies. There are numerous out there who for a small fee will twink your design into a work of art.

Oakcoin can even smooth your artwork into something you will be proud of and they can provide an estimate.

Top of this Forums talks about the various Minters. Just email them, and your rough draft artwork.

Good luck , I used Oak and was pleased with their work.

A total for 100 coins can be hard to predict. I would suggest that $7.50 to $11.00 per coin would be a 'range'.

If you hire a designer, they can (sometimes) tailor their services to your needs. As a general rule though, (again an estimate) if you want a design artist qualified to get you through ALL the steps of minting to production, plan on $300-400. If you keep this thread active and 'in sight' for a while, I'm sure several of the minters/designers who follow the forums will contact you. It could take a little bit since the annual US Geocoinfest 2013 just ended on Oct 12, some of them are just returning home.

There are basic materials to use that can help keep a cost down, while other special metals, shapes, contours, colors (glow, glitter, etc) will increase the per coin cost. To make it trackable, GS charges $1.50 per tracking number (that's an added $150 for 100 coins). Make a unique icon for the coin? That's an added cost. Some of these are also 'one time' charges like the die costs. A remint later would be far less expensive.

Re: a sales/retail site ... you really should contact the various retailers FIRST. Make a deal upfront if they like the coin. There are several 'COMMON' options.

Take some time and research here in the geocoin forum. There is a wealth of info in numerous posts about others who have now, and in the past, worked deals with coin retailers who also have 'minting' ability. Those posts also give clues about different deals that can be agreed to. Some sites will take a portion of the production, while others may want to sell your coin idea in several metals or colors, leaving you to sell 'different' metals and/or colors.

Reading the posts here is your best option to start (imo). Do your own research. If you are going to put out $1,000 to create a coin and sell it, spend some time making good business decisions.

Good luck with your coin/s. !!

Edited by nevadanick