Magellan explorist gc HELP

KayleighDJ

my gps system is stuck on white screen showing ractory/run/other/help.

I can not click or select anything on this screen. Plus I can not turn GPS unit off while on this screen, I have to take the batteries out.

I have tried pushing in the reset button, this just reloads it and i get the same screen.

Anyone know how to get back to the menu screen.

I really want to go geocaching while the weather is permitting, and i cant as trying to figure this out.

thanks for any help

Is the gps recognised if you connect it to your pc, if so you could re-install the firmware manually or via Vantage Point.

I have also found the following solution online which might help you.

1. Turn unit off (pull battery if on/off won't respond)

2. Plug unit into PC with USB cable

3. Hold the menu key and the joystick in the "up" position and power unit on. Make sure you H O L D all three buttons as described until unit is fully powered on.

4. This should allow the unit to go into maintenance/disk access mode. Go to the Magellan website and download the newest version of the system firmware.

5. Follow the install directions.

Tarot (Bob)

Edited by Tarot

It sounds like she may've wiped or corrupted the firmware. Press the reset button inside the flap, next to the USB socket, use a pin point or paperclip wire. This will reset the device, and probably show-up as the white screen again... At least now, you should be able to use the power button.

Now, here comes the fun part.. Download the firmware from Magellan..(link: http://support.magellangps.com/support/index.php?_m=downloads&_a=viewdownload&downloaditemid=400 )(fair warning, It's 2-GB of data, takes quite awhile!)

Now, connect your GC to the USB cable, and the computer once the file is downloaded.. Do exactly as Tarot mentioned, turn off the device, hold the joy button up, holding menu, and press and HOLD the power button, keep holding all til it finishes the boot-up... when it shows the same white blank screen you're seeing now, which is 'Windows-CE Safe Mode', You'll be ready for the next steps....

Press the Menu button once, [F]actory should select, pull down once, a drop-down should contain Flash Memory. To select it, pull down once, and click in on it.

This puts the GC into 'unrestricted' access to the flash memory.. Now, run the firmware update you downloaded.. Once running, go grab a cup of coffee, it takes awhile.. (roughly more than 20 minutes!).. when it finishes, you'll have a fresh install of the latest firmware, a new base map, and some learning of where everything is now, if you had the 1.7 firmware or older.

I had mine crash when I changed from 1.6 to 1.7, and had to restore everything. I've since adopted, once I get everything installed, to making a mirror image copy on a Linux platform, copying exact content of the memory to a image file, for re-writing.

Hi David

Firstly if your GC is still under warranty I would not go any further, and seek advice from Magellan. This is getting near the limit of my knowledge and nothing I write here is gauranteed, but might be worth a try to get you going again.

When you connect to your PC you say you can see the drive, can you see any files or folders on that drive?

If you can see the Geocache and Waypoint folders, try deleting the contents from each folder. This sometimes allows the GC to boot normally when restarted.

When you download the latest GC firmware it now includes everything including the World Map. Instead of opening the downloaded file it is possible to unzip it into a folder (make one on your desktop). You might be able to replace any missing files on the GC from the unzipped files in the download. Warning - DO NOT format the GC drive, because this will make any repair virtually impossible.

Like I say this info might get you going, but please only use it at your own risk. Hopefully another Magellan owner will be along to offer more help.

Regards Tarot (Bob)