Plug in wont work when upgrading to 8.1

Hillster

Hi there. I am new to this area and only have been caching since August. I have a Magellan 510. I have been using the download system for the caches via this site. All has been working just fine on Widows 8. Then I upgraded to Windows 8.1 Now when I plug my Magellan explorist 510 in and try to down load the caches it tells me that it can not find the plug in. I have reloaded it several times but it still will not work.

I was using Explorer at my web browser and even tried Chrome. Still will not work. I can not revert back to Windows 8. Any suggestions.

Welcome to the frustrating world of Windows 8 but more specifically, Internet Explorer 11. I recently posted this problem (on this forum) after I purchased a new PC with windows 8 (and upgraded to 8.1). I had come from Windows 7 and never had an issue downloading caches on to my device. I now use two browsers. Chrome (Firefox works too) is my main browser when on the geocaching site as the Garmin communicator plug-in does not work with IE 11 and no doubt the Magellan plug-in is affected, too.

Edited by luvvinbird

Hi rosetigerdragon You could try Chrome. I do not know if your husband has done this but make the alternate browser (firefox for me) your main browser. Then re boot the computer. You have to get the add on for Firefox to work. When I tried after going to Firefox I had to set the program up. I attempted to hit the Magellan button then had to go and install the add-on. It took me a few minutes for this to happen. Then had to re start the computer. Luckily for me I have had no issues after that. I hope this works.

A windows XP/Vista/Win7 'virtual machine' on any platform is an easy way of defeating this sort of thing.

Yes, if you have a spare install (NOT upgrade) disk complete with serial number. Most of us have OEM versions of Windows, and BTW, that only works on Professional versions.