new and slightly lost... help? :(

nasreenroomaney

If you find a cache, protocol is to sign the log inside and then re-hide as it was found.

You may trade items on the inside (usually dime-store items, usually child oriented).

Do not replace the container. In some cases owners spend time to hide them with a high level of cleverness (and you have to be more clever to find).

If you do not find the container on your search, it is encouraged to log on the website a "Did Not Find" log (aka DNF).

The more you search and find, the more "geo-sense" you will gain.

If possible, try to find a fellow geocacher in your area that can help you learn the ropes. Also be sure to read through the many resources here on geocaching.com & grounspeak.com

Well... you shouldn't take it, therefore you shouldn't need to replace it.

In short, the game is FINDING, not taking the geocache. There should be a log book/sheet inside to sign. If large enough, it should contain items that you may TRADE out.

Check out this link: Geocaching 101 .

There is a lot to learn about geocaching, and you really should do some reading first. Here is a link to the Help Center . It explains most all about the recreation.

Outside of those links provided, there is a bit more (nuances) that help, but that is what these forums are about -- asking.

Oohh! Isee my understanding of geocaching was slightly wrong.. thank you so much for helping me! :) it's much appreciated.. how would I find a geocacher in my area? I'm unaware of anyone who does it..

Look for what's called Event Caches. It's where cacher meet up, maybe an hour at a coffee shop, or a whole weekend of fun. But they all have cachers there that you can meet, talk to and ask questions.

Be sure to read the guidelines, and the geocaching 101 posted above. Some cachers puts lots of work into finding, building, and painting their caches, and you don't want to undo that by removing it. The caches should stay in the same spot,'unless the cane owner decides it should be moved.

Oohh! Isee my understanding of geocaching was slightly wrong.. thank you so much for helping me! :) it's much appreciated.. how would I find a geocacher in my area? I'm unaware of anyone who does it..

The best way to find geocacher(s) is to attend an Event. These can be really fun and good times. You meet lots of friendly folks ready and willing to help you and give you those hints and "nudges" that aren't listed in the guidelines.

To find an event in your area, go to your Profile Page (click on your username on the opening page), scroll down to Search Options and click on the link

"●List newest in (your area) ".

The Event caches will be the first in line on that (those) pages. You will need to look at them all to find those closest to you.

Outside of that... simply doing the hunt itself is a learning process. Remember, the caches are hidden in order to prevent the occasional passersby from not noticing them, so be prepared to really have to look for them. Note too, that each cache page gives you a (general) idea of the cache size. Go after the small, medium and larger ones first. The smallest (a micro cache) can be smaller than your little fingernail and really tough to find, especially when you don't know what you are looking for.

Aside from being hidden, they can be camouflaged into looking like something that you wouldn't think was a cache container -- so again, be prepared and don't get locked into assumptions of just what you may be looking for. Sometimes they are right in front of your face and you don't know it is a cache!

Good luck and have fun.

EDIT to add: See this thread for some clever cache designs: http://forums.Groundspeak.com/GC/index.php?showtopic=62421

Edited by Gitchee-Gummee

And there is no need to post the same thing in multiple places on the forum, and ease don't go of topic on other threads, like you have done. It is really annoying to see the same thing asked by the same person multiple times, and it kinda interrupts the flow when the thread is about pictures online, and you ask about replacing a cache.

Not trying to be rude, just saying is all...

One of the fastest ways to find fellow geocachers is through facebook. You do not have to wait for events. However, you would have to have a facebook account.

Really? I wudda thought that would be a way to meet Facebookers, not geocachers. That's not meeting people, that is only "sharing" electrons. But then... what do I know?

I'm not even active and have found lots and lots of geocaching groups, for which if you have a question, you can ask. If you want to meet a geocacher in person, it is a great source. If you are someone not familiar with this site or the game, it is a lot easier than trying to find an event, which may not even be close to you or weeks and weeks away.

If you hate facebook, than just say you hate facebook. But don't discourage a new person from meeting other nice geocachers.

The answer to your original question is YES! You do need to replace it. Just as you found it with your signature on it. But not with another container. I once was talking with a girl about geocaching and she came up with the same answer. She was like if I found it I would want to keep it. Anyways I hope you find it! and have fun with this fun game!