Creating own trackables

squeebie

First of all, caches aren't "trackable". Did you mean to say trackable, instead?

Things as wooden nickles, etc. are usually just Signature (Sig) Items. They rarely are trackable on the site.

You can still create your own trackable (TB) though. You still need to purchase either the TB tag or a block of (I think 50) numbers.

Nobody says that you MUST use the tag, you can just use the number. Quite a few folks use the number only -- T-shirts, caps, backpacks, tattoos, etc.

It is the assigned tracking number that is the key. It is the tracking number that you must "purchase", the tag comes along with it.

That said, realize that some folks may not recognize a traditional traveler if there is no standard tag attached to it. Some even refuse to move such. In short, not having the recognizable TB tag attached creates confusion.

Geocoins are a little different, but notice that they do say something akin to "Trackable at Geocaching.com".

Edited by Gitchee-Gummee

First of all, caches aren't "trackable". Did you mean to say trackable, instead?

Things as wooden nickles, etc. are usually just Signature (Sig) Items. They rarely are trackable on the site.

You can still create your own trackable (TB) though. You still need to purchase either the TB tag or a block of (I think 50) numbers.

Nobody says that you MUST use the tag, you can just use the number. Quite a few folks use the number only -- T-shirts, caps, backpacks, tattoos, etc.

It is the assigned tracking number that is the key. It is the tracking number that you must "purchase", the tag comes along with it.

That said, realize that some folks may not recognize a traditional traveler if there is no standard tag attached to it. Some even refuse to move such. In short, not having the recognizable TB tag attached creates confusion.

Geocoins are a little different, but notice that they do say something akin to "Trackable at Geocaching.com".

ok so... I have no prob purchasing the actual tracking number... so you are explaining that I purchase a 'tag' which comes with a tracking number, but I don't have to use that tag, I can put the tracking number on my own item/trackable?

ok so... I have no prob purchasing the actual tracking number... so you are explaining that I purchase a 'tag' which comes with a tracking number, but I don't have to use that tag, I can put the tracking number on my own item/trackable?

Precisely.

There is a little caveat to this... geocoins (usually) have their own particular icon -- it too, must be applied for. Tb's in general, have just the generic TB icon with a few minor exceptions. Those icons are all assigned by geocaching.com (Groundspeak).

Another way of thinking about this is that you can make anything trackable.... it's called a travel bug.

To turn anything into a travel bug you need a travel bug tag which you can purchase from the Geocaching Store. What you get is two dog tags with a tracking number stamped on them- you attach one to the item you want to send traveling and keep the other as a copy or backup. There is nothing that says you can't just use the tracking number on the tags and just stamp it on your item.

All you need to do is activate the tracking number which will take you to your bug's travel page where you can assign a mission, post a photo, set point of origin etc.

Enjoy.

As they suggested, if you're wanting to make one or a few items trackable you can purchase a Travel Bug set or alternate trackable item and use the code from that trackable. Just be sure not to send more than one item out featuring that code to avoid confusion.

If you're making trackables on a greater scale, you can purchase blocks of tracking codes (minimum of 50). The design just needs to fit within our guidelines and be approved by us. See our support article on the process at the link below:

Tracking Code Policy

There's an email at the bottom of the article if you have any questions about the process along the way. I'll be happy to help. :)

I also have a Trackable that I made myself.

What I did was, I bought a Geocoin. And with that Geocoin I also got a Trackable number since every Geocoin (and TB) has one.

Then I made a Fimo Clay Creation where I put the Trackable number on, and that one I realeased into a Cache to travel.

If you make your own Trackable you also need to make sure that the 'item' is family friendly and can survive a fall for example.

This is my own made Trackable:

3abbf0cb-0e95-44c4-acb0-f0df700a7de9.jpg

Right side: Coin I bought.

Left side: My own Created Trackable. :)

Also make sure that if you use a Geocoin number, that you put on the page that not the actual Geocoin is traveling, but an item you made yourself.

Good luck! :D

Another way of thinking about this is that you can make anything trackable.... it's called a travel bug.

To turn anything into a travel bug you need a travel bug tag which you can purchase from the Geocaching Store. What you get is two dog tags with a tracking number stamped on them- you attach one to the item you want to send traveling and keep the other as a copy or backup. There is nothing that says you can't just use the tracking number on the tags and just stamp it on your item.

All you need to do is activate the tracking number which will take you to your bug's travel page where you can assign a mission, post a photo, set point of origin etc.

Enjoy.

thanks

I also have a Trackable that I made myself.

What I did was, I bought a Geocoin. And with that Geocoin I also got a Trackable number since every Geocoin (and TB) has one.

Then I made a Fimo Clay Creation where I put the Trackable number on, and that one I realeased into a Cache to travel.

If you make your own Trackable you also need to make sure that the 'item' is family friendly and can survive a fall for example.

This is my own made Trackable:

3abbf0cb-0e95-44c4-acb0-f0df700a7de9.jpg

Right side: Coin I bought.

Left side: My own Created Trackable. :)

Also make sure that if you use a Geocoin number, that you put on the page that not the actual Geocoin is traveling, but an item you made yourself.

Good luck! :D

gotcha