Cache Idea, Looking for opinions

Tassie_Boy

I have an idea for a cache and I need feedback/opinions/help. Please bare in mind that this is in the idea stage only.

The plan is to build one large box out of plate steel that has a sign on top as a lid ( Sign would give local historical information or something along those lines depending on the site). The lid would be hinged at the top and latches at the bottom just to make it a bit of a challenge to get into.

Inside would be divided into several compartments. 1st would be open and contain the cache logbook, swag etc, all the usual things you find in a cache. The 2nd compartment would have a lid on it, have it's own log and be locked. 3rd would be inside the 2nd and get the same treatment, Lid, Log and Locked. Keys to compartments 2 & 3 would be either part of TBs or contained in other containers to make multi's. Idea being that anyone can get into 1, only a few lucky cachers can get into 2 and only a very few very lucky cachers that can get hold of both keys at the same time can get into 3.

I realise that with this idea there are cache saturation issues so I'm wondering how flexible the saturation rules are?

They won't let you put 3 logbooks (3 caches) in 1 location.

You're idea is interesting, though. You would have 3 mystery caches all-together.

For the inner 2 boxes, you could attach the keys to travel bugs and then inside the boxes have coordinates to the finals of 2 mystery caches. The finals would be hidden close by but not too close. (at least 161 meters away to satisfy proximity).

Edited by The_Incredibles_

They won't let you put 3 logbooks (3 caches) in 1 location.

You're idea is interesting, though. You would have 3 mystery caches all-together.

For the inner 2 boxes, you could attach the keys to travel bugs and then inside the boxes have coordinates to the finals of 2 mystery caches. The finals would be hidden close by but not too close. (at least 161 meters away to satisfy proximity).

Thanks, that's not a bad idea, hadn't thought to put them elsewhere as mysteries.

The Raven's Labyrinth (GC35BKD), while it only has one logbook, does have varying levels of difficulty. Keep in mind that the cache, no matter how far you get still only counts as a difficulty 3. If you reach the difficulty level four, however, you receive special acknowledgement on the cache page and level 5 earns a special reward.

If you want to use a key, hide it near parking or the trail head so that the cachers are more likely to remember to return it.
+1

I've found multi-stage mystery/puzzle caches that have incorporated physical game pieces that you had to take with you to find a later stage. They have used an out-and-back design, where you pass the "home" of the physical game pieces on the way back to the trailhead from the final cache location. This approach works well. Sure, numbers-oriented geocachers might not bother returning the physical game pieces to their "homes", but numbers-oriented geocachers won't bother spending 2+ hours finding a multi-stage mystery/puzzle cache either.

BTW, this design doesn't mean that the stages need to be laid out in a linear arrangement. There can be backtracking, branching, and other complications to the path followed. But when they're finally done and are heading back to the trailhead, they should pass the "homes" of any physical game pieces that they've picked up. And ideally, the same should be true if they quit somewhere in the middle of the adventure too.

Whether it's one cache or three, if you attach the key to a TB, it's gone.If you put the key in another cache, then it's gone. Few people will go BACK to another cache just to put your key back. Unless, of course, you put it on a 528' bungee cord.

Half thought through already, although the actual travelling part worries me a bit. Since I want one key to come from overseas and the other to come from interstate there'd be a big sign on the lid & cache page & TB page telling them to leave the keys in the box when they shut it up and I'd deal with getting it back out there.

Thanks for the insight anyway guys, will have a chat to a reviewer later to see what they think, if not then I might trial it on GCA and see what response it gets from cachers in the field.