Geocaching's Class Warfare

WMIM

In twenty years of navigating the internet, I don't recall ever seeing any website which so discriminates against visitors who do not pay tribute to the king as www.geocaching.com

Now if their figures are correct, there are approximately 5,000,000 folks who pay $40 per year for Premium membership. This works out to $200,000,000. Nor does it count the money they earn from selling trinkets,containers, memorabilia, etc.

How much of this loot do the reviewers get? The goose.

If you are a Premium Member, why you get all sorts of spiffs, including the authorization to hide your Premium Caches from the cheapskates of the lower caste, who do not deserve to find them, or even know where they are. Let the lower caste hide a fantastic cache, and spend lots of time planning and executing. If it is within 528 feet of a Premium Member's hidden cache, you lose. Doesn't get published. All that work was for naught.

Wow, what fun. Thank you sir. May I have another?

1. Yawn. This is trolling behavior

2. Don't like the way the website is set up?

a ) Join us, become a PM

b ) stay a basic and deal with it

c ) leave the website and go away

Btw, not one single of your numbers are correct. If you're gonna troll....gees, at least try to be good at it!

I pick 2c for you. Not one part of your post has anything to do with geocaching.

Eta-removing unintentional smiley face

Edited by JesandTodd

In twenty years of navigating the internet, I don't recall ever seeing any website which so discriminates against visitors who do not pay tribute to the king as www.geocaching.com

Now if their figures are correct, there are approximately 5,000,000 folks who pay $40 per year for Premium membership. This works out to $200,000,000. Nor does it count the money they earn from selling trinkets,containers, memorabilia, etc.

How much of this loot do the reviewers get? The goose.

If you are a Premium Member, why you get all sorts of spiffs, including the authorization to hide your Premium Caches from the cheapskates of the lower caste, who do not deserve to find them, or even know where they are. Let the lower caste hide a fantastic cache, and spend lots of time planning and executing. If it is within 528 feet of a Premium Member's hidden cache, you lose. Doesn't get published. All that work was for naught.

Wow, what fun. Thank you sir. May I have another?

5 million registered accounts, not current geocachers. It's $30 a year, not $40. And it's way less than half the current users as premium.

It is true that non PMs can't see the PMO caches. But there are far more puzzle caches that nobody, PM or not can see the final location.

And frankly if you can't afford $30 for one year(less than 10 cents per day) you really can't afford to buy a GPS or computer now, can you. So stop your crying, and if you like geocaches so much, go out and find some.

Wow. Bitter much?

First, it's $30 a year, not $40. Let's get the facts straight.

Second, there are some very legitimate reasons for making caches PMO, that don't have anything to do with any sort of "caste system". You complain that a Basic member spends hours or days crafting a creative, awesome cache, only to find that it can't be placed due to proximity to a PMO cache? (Got your cache rejected, did ya?). How about spending days creating an awesome cache only to have some brand new cacher with no knowledge of Geocaching etiquette and no investment in the game, tear up the hide site with their heavy-handed search techniques....trampling foliage, dislodging rocks and bricks, tearing up fixtures, etc.? Wrecking hide locations is a good way to give Geocaching a giant black eye. I had to archive one of my newest caches recently because of this. If I had made it PMO it probably wouldn't have happened.

And I'm just talking about those who just CARELESSLY damage or compromise the location just because they're inexperienced. Don't get me started about the little vandals who sign up for a free account and INTENTIONALLY go around trashing and stealing caches just for kicks. They're not likely to pony up for a Premium membership just to go mess up other peoples' fun. So making a cache PMO helps to protect it from mayhem, intentional or inadvertent.

This is a HUGE problem in some areas.....it would be nice if people acted right and these steps weren't necessary, but in some places they're the only defense a CO has.