Jasmer Challenger - who started?

Whew, I can sleep now! Thank you!!! :rolleyes:

I got another one for you. The Fizzy challenge is also named after the guy who made it up. You might even see him around here. :lol: Jasmerb though, last I knew, wasn't really that active of a Geocacher. But he certainly made up a great challenge, didn't he? I own a few "mini Jasmer" challenges, where you just have to fill the grid for one specific year.

The Fizzy challenge is also named after the guy who made it up.
Actually, no. Kealia created the first Fizzy challenge to honor FizzyMagic for his contributions to the local caching community.

I never knew that. All these years I thought Fizzymagic created it. I also found it odd because it added a competitiveness element to geocaching that didn't seem to me like something Fizzy would want to encourage.

Actually, no. Kealia created the first Fizzy challenge to honor FizzyMagic for his contributions to the local caching community.

I never knew that. All these years I thought Fizzymagic created it. I also found it odd because it added a competitiveness element to geocaching that didn't seem to me like something Fizzy would want to encourage.

Awesome. Hearing that BrianSnat thought the same thing makes me feel totally OK with my blunder. :P

Yeah, the actual story is that shortly after the My Finds PQ was invented I wrote a program to analyze the results. One of the things I did was print out the grid and how many you had done. In discussions on our local forum several people thought that would be a cool thing to try to achieve: a find for every difficulty/terrain combination. Kealia created the cache, and I didn't qualify for several years.

I don't particularly see the challenge as a competitive thing; it is something to aspire to as a geocacher. That being said, people are people and some have tried to make it competitive.

I am grateful to have my name associated with the idea of a "well-rounded" cacher. :)

I wonder when the day will come that a true Jasmer will no longer be possible to qualify for because there are no active caches left that were published in May 2000? I think we're down to only 7 (2 in Kansas and 1 each in Oregon, Illinois, New York, Australia, and New Zealand).

I wonder when the day will come that a true Jasmer will no longer be possible to qualify for because there are no active caches left that were published in May 2000? I think we're down to only 7 (2 in Kansas and 1 each in Oregon, Illinois, New York, Australia, and New Zealand).

I'd worry more about August than May.

Am working on the double Jasmer challenge but luckily, no one has created such a beast.

How about GC41M5H, GC4FMZP, GC3Q4J9 and GC4KZQT :)

I haven't seen a triple Jasmer yet (but stand to be corrected...)

That would be a very difficult one to do. It will require you to find all three Aug 2000 caches that are in USA. (Utah, Michigan and Georgia) Two of them are out of the way to get to. I got the one in Georgia even the one in Utah is the closest to me.

Yes...

Yes...

What is the list of caches down to for August 2000 now?

Yes...

Potters Pond (UT), Lake Lanier (GA) and Geocache 612 (MI).

Yes...

Potters Pond (UT), Lake Lanier (GA) and Geocache 612 (MI).

There is a fourth: GC4D in Sweden, hidden 8-11-2000.

Quad-Jasmer anyone? :rolleyes:

Edited by The Jester

Of course if you scroll down to the bottom of the logs, you see that it's "2000 placed status" is about as bogus as they come, but whatever floats anyone's boat. :ph34r:

I'm guessing there's some back story there?

AHHHH, why did you quote me after an edit? :laughing:

There are SEVERAL allegedly 2000 placed caches around the world that were archived for *YEARS*, and some guy, not the original owner will come along and replace it, and convince a reviewer to unarchive it, and call it the alleged 2000 placed cache. Groundspeak seems to have put a halt to this by probably 2006, but there are some cases in Europe where it continued to go on until much more recently.

I thought maybe this was another of those cases, but it does sort of look like the original owner replaced it in this case, with a "never got off the ground" bogus replacement before then.

Of course if you scroll down to the bottom of the logs, you see that it's "2000 placed status" is about as bogus as they come, but whatever floats anyone's boat. :ph34r:

There are SEVERAL allegedly 2000 placed caches around the world that were archived for *YEARS*, and some guy, not the original owner will come along and replace it, and convince a reviewer to unarchive it, and call it the alleged 2000 placed cache. Groundspeak seems to have put a halt to this by probably 2006, but there are some cases in Europe where it continued to go on until much more recently.

I thought maybe this was another of those cases, but it does sort of look like the original owner replaced it in this case, with a "never got off the ground" bogus replacement before then.

Ooops - sorry :anicute:

But yeah... nearly 10 years archived... that's a new cache with nothing at all to do with the old one. I guess I'll have to visit the US to complete my Jasmer grid. ;)

Ooops - sorry :anicute:

But yeah... nearly 10 years archived... that's a new cache with nothing at all to do with the old one. I guess I'll have to visit the US to complete my Jasmer grid. ;)

Indiana's First is probably the most ridiculous example. Archived by the original owner in May 2002, replaced by others (probably with no input from the original owner) over 4 years later in 2006. People certainly love it, and make pilgrimages from all over for it though, don't they? :lol:

I just happen to live 23.5 miles from a July 2000 placed cache that was archived in June 2002. I started in August 2003, and probably knew about it by the end of 2003. It never once occured to me or anyone else in my area to replace it, and contact our "local" reviewer (who was from another State way back in those days) to have it unarchived. I'd be famous, I tell you. Hunters Creek by Mr.Yuck. 350 Favorite points! Adoring logs fawning over me and my cache from all finders! People would point to me at Mega events and say "that's the guy who placed Hunters Creek"! I'd be a bonafide Geo-celebrity. :ph34r:

No one wants to touch that one 5 hours later? C'mon, just kidding. :lol: If I ever found myself in Northern Indiana, I'd find Indiana's First. On topic, I only need January 2001 to complete the Jasmer from 2001-present. I seriously doubt I will ever fill in the complete Jasmer Grid. I have 3 total finds on 2000 placed caches, all three in different months.

No one wants to touch that one 5 hours later? C'mon, just kidding. :lol: If I ever found myself in Northern Indiana, I'd find Indiana's First. On topic, I only need January 2001 to complete the Jasmer from 2001-present. I seriously doubt I will ever fill in the complete Jasmer Grid. I have 3 total finds on 2000 placed caches, all three in different months.

I totally would have touched that but I was asleep.

I think May 2001 is my only problem month for a 2001-present Jasmer. I have 2 other empty months but for both I have a few options here in NZ I have been too lazy to get so far. Then for a complete Jasmer it's August and September 2000 to complete it. I never even looked at the months placed grid before a local Jasmer cache got placed, and since then I've filled in about 5 or 6 empty months.

Am working on the double Jasmer challenge but luckily, no one has created such a beast.

How about GC41M5H, GC4FMZP, GC3Q4J9 and GC4KZQT :)

I haven't seen a triple Jasmer yet (but stand to be corrected...)

Well, I guess I stand corrected, had not looked in a while and our search method, I wish you could search for a word anywhere in the title, not just the beginning. Really wish that advance search "Jasmer" would show a result with "Double Jasmer".

Really wish that advance search "Jasmer" would show a result with "Double Jasmer".

Ya know, we should write a Greasemonkey script to do that using Google. There is a format for geocache searches:

intext:jasmer intext:challenge intext:"(Unknown Cache)" intext:"Geocache Description" site:geocaching.com

That "Geocache Description" tag filters out logs etc. But it would sure be nice to have that automated.

I need four months in 2000. Was hoping to get The Spot and State Game Lands (some number) last year, Maybe this year! That would leave me with two months! Geocache - Canada's First Geocache (GCBBA) definitely helped!

Then I'll need to plan boat trips in Georgia and Michigan!

I need four months in 2000. Was hoping to get The Spot and State Game Lands (some number) last year, Maybe this year! That would leave me with two months! Geocache - Canada's First Geocache (GCBBA) definitely helped!

Then I'll need to plan boat trips in Georgia and Michigan!

State Gamelands #109, that would be. Not far from Erie, Pa. It's actually a rather ordinary cache, less then .25 miles from parking, and super easy to find. There is a December 2000 placed cache Stone Wall Stash 35-40 miles south of it. But I haven't found it, since I had a bizarre encounter with a hostile loose beagle, which chased my car when I was trying to park for it. No other reports of a hostile loose beagle have ever been recorded, as far as I know.

EDIT: I was there in early march of of 2007 or 2008. I should have just come out of the vehicle wielding a snowbrush, in retrospect. :laughing: But it's 200 miles at most from my home coordinates, I'll get there some day.

Edited by Mr.Yuck

Is there such a thing as a sort of mini-Jasmer for us newbies: Instead of from every month, just find one from every year from 2000, 2001, 2002 etc. Would that be within the rules?

Absolutely there is, and that's exactly what it's called. I own(ed) 2001-2005, although two are archived (long story) and need to be reborn in another location. I like my tagline too, "when caches were caches and parking lots were for parking". :ph34r:

I borrowed the idea from a guy in Canada about 90 miles away from me, and a guy in Pennsylvania borrowed the idea from me, but I don't know how widespread they are, or if the guy in Canada is in fact the first one to come up with the idea.

Absolutely there is, and that's exactly what it's called. I own(ed) 2001-2005, although two are archived (long story) and need to be reborn in another location. I like my tagline too, "when caches were caches and parking lots were for parking". :ph34r:

I borrowed the idea from a guy in Canada about 90 miles away from me, and a guy in Pennsylvania borrowed the idea from me, but I don't know how widespread they are, or if the guy in Canada is in fact the first one to come up with the idea.

Thank you. Now how would one go about searching for such a challenge cache?

Try searching google with the following: jasmer site:geocaching.com Seek

you can also try: mini-jasmer site:geocaching.com Seek

That'll give you quite a few results with "mini-jasmer" in the cache title or description.

That'll give you quite a few results with "mini-jasmer" in the cache title or description.

Thanks! There are a couple of full Jasmer bookmark lists, and both of them specifically state that they do not include mini Jasmers, or alterations that attempt to make it harder than the standard Jasmer (who would want to do that?). That's about the best you're going to do for mini Jasmers. And by the way, the hyphen doesn't matter, mine in New York still come up, and there is no hyphen. :P Gee, actually there aren't too many mini Jasmers. Some in Ontario, New York, Pennsylvania, Alberta and Arizona. I might have missed a few, but less common than I thought.

Thanks! There are a couple of full Jasmer bookmark lists, and both of them specifically state that they do not include mini Jasmers, or alterations that attempt to make it harder than the standard Jasmer (who would want to do that?). That's about the best you're going to do for mini Jasmers. And by the way, the hyphen doesn't matter, mine in New York still come up, and there is no hyphen. :P Gee, actually there aren't too many mini Jasmers. Some in Ontario, New York, Pennsylvania, Alberta and Arizona. I might have missed a few, but less common than I thought.

After looking through these searches, it seems that mini (or mini-) Jasmers (or Jasmer lite) generally refer to a variation of the full Jasmers that are less than from "every" month, but still based on months. (i.e. instead of every month since 2000, it might be 100 months, or 5 years worth of months, from all 12 months in a given year, pyramid Jasmer, etc.)

I guess an inherent part of the term "Jasmer" is the monthly thing. I think one cache from every year might be a different animal.

Edited by TopShelfRob

Coincidentally, the use of a hyphen in a search term came up today on a project I'm working on. It looks like, at least for the search mechanism I'm using, a hyphen is removed from a search term when it's sent to the search engine. That kind of makes sense. Splitting MiniJasper at the end of a line would look like mini-jasper in the context of a complete sentence. I suspect that if you quoted it (e.g. "mini-jasper") it wouldn't match Mini Jasper.